Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Miners Strike

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I can accept that mining coal in this country was at some point going to become unviable. However, just letting them close as Thatcher did is an absolutely shit example of macro economic management. Closing down the mines cost thousands their jobs. Which in turn cost thousands more their livelihoods in lost income at shops that no longer had miner customers. Which in turn closes down businesses. And how much money does it all cost? Well, for a start, there is the loss in tax revenue from all of these sources, then the fact that benefits start needing to be paid to out of work miners. Plus crime soars as unemployment rises, and we all know what the miner's strike did to community relations with the police.

And then the fact that it costs a lot of money to re-start up any small business after predecessors have gone to the wall. It's the same argument as what we're seeing now. If we slash public expenditure on everything, we risk our future. Say, road maintenance is slashed: all those pot hole filling companies go to the wall. Then when we decide to spend the money fixing the roads, we have no-one to fix them because our pot-holers have all gone bust - so we have to import pot hole filling services. So closing down anything on a large scale is folly.

Our nation would have been better off with a staggered plan of mine closure, where mines were closed as new investment (and jobs) were attracted into those communities. Simply subsidising our coal mining in the interim would have been far more cost effective than just washing our hands of the whole industry.

We might as well close this thread, as I don't think anyone is going to put it more succinctly or reasonably than this.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think if Beach Hut keeps on acting like a massive bellend more people will hate him than either of them

Myopic... at best.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Blair was a man who started with good intentions but was ultimately too weak and caved in under pressure from the US and his desire to be liked.

Thatcher was a massive, massive c*nt

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think if Beach Hut keeps on acting like a massive bellend more people will hate him than either of them

Possible but I commit the cardinal NSC sin and have a different view and don't just agree with the masses

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Blair was a man who started with good intentions but was ultimately too weak and caved in under pressure from the US and his desire to be liked.

Weak - for which he over-compensated.

I do believe that no-one leaves No 10 with their marbles fully intact. I also believe that Thatcher's were not intact when she went in there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This made me chuckle.

Spot on.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Also Thatcher created the wealth of the City with the big bang on share dealing but oh no that was another nail in her coffin creating a huge financial services industry of which labour failed to regulate on their watch

"Thatcher created the wealth of the City" Jeez the City was around for hundreds of years before Thatcher. So before Thatcher those people that were in the City weren't there to create wealth, there were there for what? For a laugh/charity/pass the time what?

Thatcher created selfish greedy attitudes in another thread. So before 1979 there were zero selfish greedy people eh and she and she alone just created "greedy attitudes".

Do people honestly believe these cliches that they write?

Blair's actions DIRECTLY lead to nearly 200 British servicemen's death trying to find some Weapons of Mass Destruction that have still to be found and probably never existed. That is not a cliche that is open to debate. That is a FACT.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm lost now. You've been telling us very strongly that your view IS the majority view.

Yes majority of the country as there is a world out there as opposed to NSC although perhaps not to you, little tip if you need to use capitals in a whole word normally you are shouting so your point is probably crap

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes majority of the country as there is a world out there as opposed to NSC although perhaps not to you, little tip if you need to use capitals in a whole word normally you are shouting so your point is probably crap

I think you should probably give this thread up, to be honest. You are making yourself look like an utter tool.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think you should probably give this thread up, to be honest. You are making yourself look like an utter tool.

Oh really, being told not to post on a thread now - such democracy as I disagree with you

In other words go away as I don't like what you post as it is not what I want to hear

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Blair's actions DIRECTLY lead to nearly 200 British servicemen's death trying to find some Weapons of Mass Destruction that have still to be found and probably never existed. That is not a cliche that is open to debate. That is a FACT.

And that they were being told there was no strong evidence - and using the excuse of a terrorist attack that had nothing to do with the the country. Shameful.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Scargill made the mistake of thinking a ballot might not achieve the result he wanted in terms of percentages/turnout even though it would be a resounding YES vote. Had the pit deputies union , NACODS , called a ballot at the same time then Scargill would have changed his mind once he saw the result.

So you admit it was poor leadership by Scargill in not calling a ballot in the first place.... and also, I presume by you not denying that there was a split in his union that not all members (in fact a lot) were behind his (or his NUM conference) to call such an all out strike.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I suspect many more people hate blair for taking us into a war we should not be in

You do talk some rubbish at times. You sound a bit desperate with this line, clutching at straws.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh really, being told not to post on a thread now - such democracy as I disagree with you

In other words go away as I don't like what you post as it is not what I want to hear

Not at all. You carry on (digging)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Have you been drinking?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

There are others who disagree but who make coherent and interesting arguments in doing so. You make smug, very very dull single sentence posts which are about as relevant as your jokes and quips are funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here