Votes: 34 10.2%
  • No

Votes: 299 89.8%

• Total voters

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The only way to fight racism is to expose its sheer stupidity to the harsh spotlight of reality. Any thing that produces debate is worthwhile.

I disagree heavily with this as it only causes polarisation. The bubble of society you belong to, the already convinced, will agree with the stupidty, and the bubble of society that they belong to, that may or may not be racists but definitely doesnt like the PC stuff, will only get stronger in their own beliefs.

As I see it the best way to solve racism is to improve things on a political level (neither you or they created racism, politics did) and for people to talk as little as possible about it. Abandoning the whole concept of race is the best way of removing racism, giving race a lot of attention will lead to nothing but polarisation.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think it is good that the message of Black Lives Matter continues to be promoted in this manner.

Shame that some Milwall supporters disagree with said message. They probably need to ask themselves a few questions about why that is. They may not agree that black lives do matter or they may have been duped into the notion of the idea being politicised by those furthering an agenda. Either way, they need to give their heads a wobble.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Please explain how they are getting worse. I’d don’t think this country has ever seen equal rights so clear and legislated for. How are they getting worse?

They aren’t getting worse, it’s just another symptom of white guilt.

This country is the most multicultural it’s ever been.

Comparing now to 40 years ago, when things did need to change:

More black people are on the radio.

More black people are in the charts.

More black people are on TV.

More black footballers (and probably more black sportsmen/women in general).

Black men more revered than ever.

And yet, everyone’s so racist and we have to take the knee, which somehow shows what exactly?

I get the feeling these BLM types won’t be satisfied until every position of power etc. is not occupied by a white person.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I disagree heavily with this as it only causes polarisation. The bubble of society you belong to, the already convinced, will agree with the stupidty, and the bubble of society that they belong to, that may or may not be racists but definitely doesnt like the PC stuff, will only get stronger in their own beliefs.

By way of coincidence, I saw a cartoon which illustrates this just now (view the tweet to see the whole cartoon)...

[tweet]1335326616432431104[/tweet]

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The only way to fight racism is to expose its sheer stupidity to the harsh spotlight of reality. Any thing that produces debate is worthwhile.

I’m sure there must be ways of provoking debate without damaging our game.

I can’t see how booing players taking the knee can be considered “worthwhile” irrespective of how much debate it fermented.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I am no racist.

But we will never end racism in the UK. You cannot end it. You cannot undo hate.
You can by doing what we are doing, taking the knee and educating people about the abhorrent things we gave done in our past. It won't be eradicated overnight, it won't happen in our lifetimes but if we can at least accept the racism that has happened in the past and stand together with the BLM movement and taking the knee we can begin to move forwards in tackling racism. The reaction to the Millwall fans across the mainstream media and general society encourages me we're moving in the right direction.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
It was shameful that there were boos at the Millwall game today, they should be embarrassed.
I wouldn’t have the nerve to even consider booing it.

That being said, I do think the taking of the knee should have stopped at the end of last season. The incident which triggered it didn’t even happen in this country. I’d be interested to know if other European leagues are still doing it.

Racism does still unfortunately exist in the UK, even if it is generally in a more subtle form than previously. Me and my mates had a discussion about it during the summer and it’s more of an unconscious bias, which we all said we had been guilty of. For example, a black guy at work said to me that if he is walking towards someone, they will cross the road or hold their bag a bit tighter.

In football, black players are rarely called intelligent but referred to as beasts. Have you ever called a white player a “beast”?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It was shameful that there were boos at the Millwall game today, they should be embarrassed.
I wouldn’t have the nerve to even consider booing it.

That being said, I do think the taking of the knee should have stopped at the end of last season. The incident which triggered it didn’t even happen in this country. I’d be interested to know if other European leagues are still doing it.

Racism does still unfortunately exist in the UK, even if it is generally in a more subtle form than previously. Me and my mates had a discussion about it during the summer and it’s more of an unconscious bias, which we all said we had been guilty of. For example, a black guy at work said to me that if he is walking towards someone, they will cross the road or hold their bag a bit tighter.

In football, black players are rarely called intelligent but referred to as beasts. Have you ever called a white player a “beast”?
While I broadly agree with you post. Is it not still the case that black people are far more likely to be stopped and searched in London?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
You can by doing what we are doing, taking the knee and educating people about the abhorrent things we gave done in our past. It won't be eradicated overnight, it won't happen in our lifetimes but if we can at least accept the racism that has happened in the past and stand together with the BLM movement and taking the knee we can begin to move forwards in tackling racism. The reaction to the Millwall fans across the mainstream media and general society encourages me we're moving in the right direction.

We did do abhorent things in the past. I fully accept that. To people from Africa, to people from Asia and beyond.

But we did bad things to ourselves. To be poor in England has never been good. Victorian workhouses, peasants in the middle ages. Not good at all.

But I am not responsible for any of that, nor do I feel guilt or take any responsibility. None of us alive today had any responsibility or involvement in it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We did do abhorent things in the past. I fully accept that. To people from Africa, to people from Asia and beyond.

But we did bad things to ourselves. To be poor in England has never been good. Victorian workhouses, peasants in the middle ages. Not good at all.

But I am not responsible for any of that, nor do I feel guilt or take any responsibility. None of us alive today had any responsibility or involvement in it.

I agree that we shouldn't need to feel any responsibility or guilt about those things that have been done by our ancestors.

I do however think that we should learn about those things and recognise that the ripples from those horrendous actions are still felt today. To be clear I am talking about those things done across the world including those things done to the poor in the UK.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Anyone boos on Monday and they are a very very sad individual, tragic in fact, if people want to protest terrible treatment of black people they are more than welcome. So angry and sad about this.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

The British weren’t the only ones involved in the slave trade either. White people had white slaves, black people had black slaves, Muslims had white slaves, the Ottoman’s had white slaves, slave markets were on the Barbary Coast (North Africa) where they traded white slaves and even had their own island where they would raid England for slaves.

Slavery has been practiced throughout history, it is a stain on all humanity. But it was Britain who spent something like 25% of their GDP eradicating it. I can’t remember the exact amount, I read it somewhere the other day.

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Would You Boo 'The Knee'?

Regardless of your reason, would you Boo the kneeling of players as part of their support of the Black Lives Matter movement?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lol.

Colin Kazim Richards of all people describing something as 'a disgrace'.

He needs to look at his own behaviour at the Amex first.

Maybe he went through some personal development between the age of 19 and his current age, 34, and learned a bit from living in six or so different countries and becoming a husband and father. Some people are not perfect or even quite flawed at age 19 but turn out alright in the end. If my 34 year old friends calls something a blessing or a disgrace, I'm not going to say "feck off, when you were a teen you...", because it makes no sense as shit loads happen in 15 years.

Come on man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here