• Yes

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • No

Votes: 299 89.8%

• Total voters

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Astonishingly poor form but then it is Millwall, so are we really surprised? The best thing we can do is if all 2,000 of our fans lucky enough to have tickets to the game on Monday also take the knee in solidarity with the players and all of the oppressed BAME people living in the UK and worldwide. What a powerful message that would send and drown out all of the negativity and blanket could coverage on SSN about the appalling scenes at the New Den.

Why do you assume that all 2000 of our fans are in favour of taking the knee? It doesn't, by the way, mean they are automatically racist if they are not in favour.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It isn't the same. Nobody walking out during the anthem wanted to overthrow the royal family, or make the point that we have had it about up to here with all these over-sensitive royals (the queen should grow some, and move jolly well on).

FFS.

You’ve made my point - as you say walking out during the anthem had nothing to do with Royalist feelings, one way or the other. It was simply that the ritual had lost all meaning.

I’d like to see the end of “taking the knee” - nothing to do with my feelings regarding racism, just that it has become a meaningless ritual.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Taking the knee has become a symbol of the footba'll authorities need to be seen to be doing something.Most young players will be either in favour of the gesture or ambivalent towards it, I doubt if any are actively against it, due to most teams having a mix of both black and white players.

If anyone watched the Anton Ferdinand v John Terry documentary on Monday night, it appears the FA are either trying to maintain a neutral position on racism, or are hoping all this fuss will disapear, and football can somehow carry on as it always has done.
But,as an industry that has the highest percentage of high profile black participants,then, they have a moral duty to every bame player to enforce the highest anti racism standards possible, even if it will be painful to some of those involved in the game.I hope that players across all sports continue to take the knee, it may be a trite gesture, but, it is encouraging debate, which can only be good.

I was surprised there was no thread on the Anton Ferdinand programme, it was quite illuminating.

Anton Ferdinand was regarded at West Ham's academy as a better prospect than Rio. He was a young footballer with the world at his feet, I always wondered why his career basically fell off a cliff after such a promising start at QPR.

Watching that documentary brings it all home, the racial abuse he suffered from JT and then on social media basically ended his career, he was a shell of a man after that. Fur this to happen in 21st century Britain is absurd. Also amazed it didn't provoke a debate on here, the BBC did their but by airing it at 8pm in BBC1.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Why do you assume that all 2000 of our fans are in favour of taking the knee? It doesn't, by the way, mean they are automatically racist if they are not in favour.

I don't, but I'd like to think pretty much every one was sickened by the booing at Millwall today so what better way of sticking two fingers up at the gammons at Millwall and across the country then by taking the knee in solidarity of the BLM and anti racism movement.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You’ve made my point - as you say walking out during the anthem had nothing to do with Royalist feelings, one way or the other. It was simply that the ritual had lost all meaning.

I’d like to see the end of “taking the knee” - nothing to do with my feelings regarding racism, just that it has become a meaningless ritual.

But ,that meaningless gesture has produced a reaction that was reported in the BBC1 news tonight, and 12 pages and counting on NSC.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I don't, but I'd like to think pretty much every one was sickened by the booing at Millwall today so what better way of sticking two fingers up at the gammons at Millwall and across the country then by taking the knee in solidarity of the BLM and anti racism movement.

But we don’t know why they booed do we.

Are they racists? Or are they tired of a moral lecture that keeps ramming down their throats that they are somehow priviliged on the basis of the colour of their skin.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Stick to the silly jokes, being serious doesn’t work :)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Are they racists? Or are they tired of a moral lecture that keeps ramming down their throats that they are somehow priviliged on the basis of the colour of their skin.

If they are white and let's be honest we know they are, then they are priveliged. Surely the one thing we can all agree on is the concept of white privilege?? Hopefully we can root these idiots out and hold them to account.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Having know n a fair few Millwall fans, I used to weekend with a Millwall fan in the 80s and took in a few games at the old Den, I think I know exactly why at lot of them were booing,and, I know why some posters on here are defending their actions.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Indeed - but how much of that reaction has helped combat racism. All the ‘reaction’ is aimed at the negative response by some football fans - how much good has that done to combat racism?

The only way to fight racism is to expose its sheer stupidity to the harsh spotlight of reality. Any thing that produces debate is worthwhile.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
personally I think if they took the knee for only a short while when the matter was high profile earlier in the year, then ditched it quickly after, people would say it was reactionary and once the issue has died down it is quickly forgotten like yesterdays chip paper. I'm glad football has supported it fully and should do to the end of the season at least, and proves they are serious on this issue, not just jump on the bandwagon whenever it comes high on the agenda

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
If the “preaching” stops, what takes its place? The only long term solution is education. Unfortunately I don’t see a whole load of evidence of (white) people wanting to be educated. So, taking the knee is a weekly reminder to most of us to educate ourselves. Until things start to change, we need that reminder. In fact, things seem to be getting worse, so we need a whole load more reminders, too.

What’s getting worse and what do ‘we’ need to educate ourselves about?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
personally I think if they took the knee for only a short while when the matter was high profile earlier in the year, then ditched it quickly after, people would say it was reactionary and once the issue has died down it is quickly forgotten like yesterdays chip paper. I'm glad football has supported it fully and should do to the end of the season at least, and proves they are serious on this issue, not just jump on the bandwagon whenever it comes high on the agenda
I'm heartened by the reaction from the media and the press to th sad events at the New Den and I thin if anything it only hardens the desire amongst the football family to keep the taking the knee tradition going, I genuinely see it becoming a part of the typical matchday until we eliminate racism from the spirit and the country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here