Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Milk

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Milk is great.
Fond childhood memories of family breakfast at Eds cafe in kemptown where I often got a pint of milk to go with my fry up.
Currently I don't know how I'd survive without dairy.
Estimated weekly household consumption:
Full fat milk - 3 gallons
Semi skimmed - 2 gallons
Cream - 1 litre
Butter - 1kg
Yoghurt - 2.5kg
Cheddar/red Leicester - 2kg
Other cheeses -1kg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
1716934999597.png

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Milk is great.
Fond childhood memories of family breakfast at Eds cafe in kemptown where I often got a pint of milk to go with my fry up.
Semi skimmed - 2 gallons
Cream - 1 litre
Butter - 1kg
Yoghurt - 2.5kg
Other cheeses -1kg
Five gallons of milk per week? crikey you are doing the Milk Marketing Board proud . . . do they even still exsist?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Cows milk is for baby cows not humans. The cows are made pregnant to make the milk, their kids are either taken away from them when they are born or just killed after a short time if they are males. The dairy cows will then end up being bred to make more milk so that they can find it hard to stand up and most of those cows will be indoors not out. Instead of living until 19 or 20 they’ll be killed off around 6 or 7 and end up in pies or pet food. It’s shit. I didn’t want to derail the thread, this info is all out there, but you did ask.

How about you tell me why you should steal a baby cows milk.
You do have a point about the “calves” being practically a worthless by-product, and I think it is cruel that in many cases they are shipped off to the continent for “disposal” there. Accordingly, I will always try and eat veal whenever it’s available.

If we can encourage more veal consumption in the U.K. at least the poor old lambs (no pun intended) won’t have to go through that awful journey to France etc. where they eat it by the ton.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Cows milk is for baby cows not humans. The cows are made pregnant to make the milk, their kids are either taken away from them when they are born or just killed after a short time if they are males. The dairy cows will then end up being bred to make more milk so that they can find it hard to stand up and most of those cows will be indoors not out. Instead of living until 19 or 20 they’ll be killed off around 6 or 7 and end up in pies or pet food. It’s shit. I didn’t want to derail the thread, this info is all out there, but you did ask.

While I agree overall with your dislike of the milk industry, I have never got the “milk is for baby cows not humans” argument.

It’s a nutritious substance that is perfectly fine for humans to consume in moderation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Milk is great.
Semi skimmed - 2 gallons

Cream - 1 litre
Butter - 1kg
Yoghurt - 2.5kg
Other cheeses -1kg
milk-in-your-face.gif

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Our local organic dairy farm has started selling their milk through a vending machine in glass bottles. It’s not homogenised and tastes amazing. They clearly look after their cows well and the way they nurture the flora and fauna on their farm is very visible. They are also very active in supporting our local community.
For me it is always about balance and HOW our food is produced and I’m very happy drinking their milk!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Over the years I became increasingly aware of the way that cows are abused to give us a supply of milk. Then there was a a Panorama programme about the dairy industry which was upsetting to watch. I do not know just how typical the cruelty on the farm they showed was, hopefully not typical at all.
I persuaded my wife to get plant based milk , which tastes better and keeps longer .
O k call my hypocrite because I still eat cheese …. I haven’t got a suitable alternative yet …
Incidentally, the o/ p said he drinks 21 bottles of it …. I haven’t seen a milk bottle in years , always cartons that I knew?

abc

Jan 6, 2007

This deserves a balanced response.

First, if you are against livestock farming per se (ie no meat, no dairy etc) then your point about cows existing to produce milk and having calves to produce milk is not only true but for you a valid reason not to drink milk. But otherwise one accepts that we are farming animals and they only exist because of this and it is therefore how well we treat them during this process rather than whether we are doing it all. How we farm matters.

Male calves are all reared for beef, usually on other farms. They are an important part of the food chain but if you are vegan i understand this will not improve your perception.
The line that cows can’t stand up is rubbish, sorry. But you make a valid point about more and more cows being kept indoors 24/7 which i believe is wrong. Fact: The only way you can guarantee that milk has come from cows that graze grass is to buy organic as it is a legal requirement. How we farm matters.

Cows will ultimately end up in the food chain, this is farming after all. However, there is nothing wrong with them and only the offal etc goes to pet food, as with a prime beef animal.
Almond milk is an environmental disaster. Oat milk is produced using chemicals and artificial fertilisers that are neither good for human health or the environment. Organic oat milk is the best alternative for a vegan but then organic anything can only be produced within a mixed farming (ie with animals and crops) system. Catch 22.

Nothing is simple or black and white in farming but if we want safe, quality food, good soils and care for the environment, high levels of animal welfare whilst avoiding food shortages, then we need to think
much more about HOW we produce our food rather than what.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Almond milk is an environmental disaster
Please can you explain this point?

In the UK quite a lot of our almond milk comes from European, rain watered almonds.

Even looking at a place like California, almond milk uses less water per litre, less land and has a lower carbon footprint.

Cows milk uses twice as much water to produce the same amount of milk vs almond milk.

Oat milk doesn't have to be made with all those ingredients anyway, only certain brands will have that.

then we need to think
much more about HOW we produce our food rather than what.
Factually incorrect.

When it comes to lowering our carbon footprint, what we eat makes far more difference than where it comes from.

Environmental-impact-of-food-by-life-cycle-stage_1350.png

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Except for the forcibly making the cows constantly pregnant part.

And what happens to the calves.
Female dairy calves are kept to one day become adult cows in the herd and all other calves go to other local farms to be reared for beef.
Yes, cows need to give birth to produce milk as they are mammals.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Organic dairy farm near us has started selling their milk through a vending machine with glass bottles. Tastes amazing and this farm does fab stuff for the environment and for our community. Cows look pretty happy out in the fields too!
Cows only produce milk when they are pregnant so your organic dairy farm is incredibly likely artificially inseminating the cows to they constantly produce milk and babies, doesn't sound very organic to me

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Some fantastic parody replies from people pretending to be “wokeistas” - really made me laugh. This thread couldn’t have gone better - some genuine insight and some brilliant trolling from pretend “vegans”. :lol:

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Some fantastic parody replies from people pretending to be “wokeistas” - really made me laugh. This thread couldn’t have gone better - some genuine insight and some brilliant trolling from pretend “vegans”. :lol:
Excellent rebuttal there! Great work sir

Poskettspurpose

Jun 18, 2021
Milk is great.
Semi skimmed - 2 gallons
Cream - 1 litre
Butter - 1kg
Yoghurt - 2.5kg
Other cheeses -1kg
To quote Ron Burgundy; "And you ate the whole wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here