Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ward blog in the Indepenent

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good blog. I consider myself an Albion fan, and so do my friends. Yet I used to support West Ham before I moved down here from London. Falmer is going to need more Mike Wards and dare I say it more me's too if we are to fill it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I supported Spurs before I moved down here, so that makes at least three of us, all fans of different London Clubs pre the Albion

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The bloke is a tosser. Too full of his own self importance and frankly one of the most uninteresting men to have ever appeared on the radio or in print.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He does come across as being quite bitter, but makes a valid point. I think some fans are of the ideal 'No-one but Harty'.

It shall be interesting to see how the 'Withdean faithful' cope with an influx of new fans. I am sure there will be an air of snobbery from some quarters and a few renditions of the old 'where were you when we were shit?'.

I don't object to Mike Ward being a new fan. I'm not sure many do, do they? My only objection was that his programme column was boring and tedious. The Millwall chap is far, far better.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Ward is absolutely correct of course.

Personally I will welcome every single convert to Falmer, as the club needs each and every one of them.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He sounds very bitter. And as a " host " of a local fans phone in, slagging them off does not appear to be a very good idea.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He sounds very bitter. And as a " host " of a local fans phone in, slagging them off does not appear to be a very good idea.

Typifies the bloke I am afraid and why the fans phone in is not what it was.

However most things change eventually so it is a choice whether you want to listen to it or read his column - I prefer to do neither

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Ward is absolutely correct of course.

Personally I will welcome every single convert to Falmer, as the club needs each and every one of them.

This is very true, however reading that blog was two minutes of my life totally wasted.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No problem with him being a new fan or switching allegiances but do have a problem with him spouting nonsense on the phone in and generally wrecking it and making it un listenable. The sooner he is 'relieved' of his duties and they get a person that knows what they are talking about the better

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's right though and although he may be a bit bitter there are plenty of you who slag him off at every turn and all because he used to support Arsenal. Cover it with oh, he's so boring, up his own arse or whatever. It all boils down to the fact that he came here from supporting Arsenal, wrote a book about it, got himself in a position to air his opinions to thousands and that has pissed people off. Not really a credible reason to dislike someone imo. He is not the dickhead so many of you would have us believe, imo like.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It shall be interesting to see how the 'Withdean faithful' cope with an influx of new fans. I am sure there will be an air of snobbery from some quarters and a few renditions of the old 'where were you when we were shit?'.

There already is. When it was a bit "busy" at the turnstiles for the Rochdale game - probably due to a few more season tickets sold etc people were moaning on here.

God help them if we start to fill Falmer.

I am utterly utterly convinced that some people want us to remain a tin pot 3rd div club forever.
Some pwopl

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
At least he's learned his lesson. You need some kind of credibility if you're going to lecture people about how they should be doing something which they've been doing alot longer than you have.

I've warmed to Make Ward a bit recently. He's been around for 10 years now, I think he's served his apprenticeship, and he gives us a good bit of coverage on Talksport once a week. Fair play to the bloke for sticking with it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have some sympathy with Mike ( I originally whinged in the programme about his comments in the programme about our rivalry with Palace that he didn't understand!) as we all know that there is only one person who can do the phone in justice and he and the other presenters are ona hiding for nothing.

I also have some sympathy as to be honest, due to moving around the country ( and world) in my yoof, I didn't really support any one team, it was only when I came to Brighton and settled down that I started following a football team ( when I lived in Kent it was Chelsea and in Wiltshire, Swindon) My home town club is Huddersfield and will go and see them if close by etc, but I can't say I am a "die hard fan".

The point has been made about new fans and it will be interesting how people react to this.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No problem with him being a new fan or switching allegiances but do have a problem with him spouting nonsense on the phone in and generally wrecking it and making it un listenable. The sooner he is 'relieved' of his duties and they get a person that knows what they are talking about the better
I think that's a valid comment. Criticising him for being a shit radio presenter or a shit journalist/columnist is fair enough - but slagging him off because he used to support Arsenal and now for the last ten years has faithfully supported his local team is being a little bit precious.

Like others I wasn't born in Sussex (I supported Chelsea and Palace as a boy) so I suppose we can see where he's coming from more than the 'Sussex born 'n' breds' can

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I will welcome every new fan at falmer. But inside I can't help but feel a little bit peeved off when they offer a contradicting opinion to mine or speak as if they know more me. I know we need all the fans we can get to be successful but surely it is natural to feel a little begrudging having watched the club suffer for years only to have all these new fans appear when there is a nice shiny stadium to sit in and a better standard of football to watch. But as Mike Ward points out, these may not be true fans right now, but are the people that will become true and loyal as they spend more time watching the club. That is unless we push them away or make them feel unwelcome before they get the chance.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I was born in Brighton, and have followed the Albion my whole life.

I don't care who anybody supported yesterday, last week, or ten years ago.

If anyone wants to jump on the Gus Bus, the more the merrier. (just remember though, it's my Gus Bus)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There's a kind of unwritten rule in football fandom that you can't change clubs mid-career. I'd say that in order to eradicate any claims of 'armchair fandom', I reckon you can, but only 'downwards'. That's what Mike Ward has done.

Personally, I don't see what the problem is. He jumped ship and joined the Albion. It's just that his professional career meant he did it in a way that anyone and everyone could read about. In other words, he shouted it from the highest rooftops, and that seems to have got up some people's noses.

I feel he can write as authoritatively as anyone on the Withdean Years (albeit without all of the first-hand sense of historical context), and I'd say that he's a bona fide Albion fan.

However, I do think there's a tad of dummy-spitting there. Unnecessary.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I was born in Brighton, and have followed the Albion my whole life.

I don't care who anybody supported yesterday, last week, or ten years ago.

If anyone wants to jump on the Gus Bus, the more the merrier. (just remember though, it's my Gus Bus)

is exactly the right attitude , top post sir :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The bloke has probably got a bit fed up with the constant sniping and snobbery he encounters, and probably reads on here half the time. Some people just need to get over themselves.

He can't be that bad a writer if he earns a living out of it. And if you don't like his style of writing or broadcasting then fine, but doesn't mean you have to turn to slagging off his supposed 'credentials' at being an Albion fan does it. Give him a break for christs sake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here