Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Middle East conflict

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Reports coming in of Israel carrying out an airstrike on Damascus in Syria last night just as news is coming in of a limited ground invasion by Israel into Southern Lebanon

This other news below may have slipped under the radar because it went largely under-reported in Western MSM but Russia apparently thwarted an Israeli airstrike on Syria a few days ago - the presence of Russian forces in Syria complicates an already very complex arena in the ME

(note to @Bozza - not sure whether you want these threads to stay separate or combine them? For now, I’ve posted Israel’s attack on Syria as a separate thread)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think Iran clearly drives almost all attacks on Israel. Peace in the Middle East would be so much more likely if it wasn’t for Iran trying to cause death and chaos. The logical conclusion for Israel is to surely start bombing Iran? Kill their leadership and their stop their ability to arm Israel’s neighbours and the attacks on Israel will cease? I’m not sure the Israeli Government would care if they started WW3. It’s better for them that the ‘West’ is at war too.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Who's talking about rewarding them? Obviously aggressors shouldn't be rewarded, but that doesn't mean they should have their land taken as punishment. Germany were harshly punished for their part in WW1 (not that they started it) and that punishment lead to WW2. Israel are occupying land that doesn't belong to them, and many people are rising up against them. You reap what you sow.
Who says it dosent belong to them ?.. the claim of land rights goes back more than a 100 years or so ! . This is not something that has just cropped up over geo political boundries from WW1 onwards . this goes back a couple of thousand years or so

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think Iran clearly drives almost all attacks on Israel. Peace in the Middle East would be so much more likely if it wasn’t for Iran trying to cause death and chaos. The logical conclusion for Israel is to surely start bombing Iran? Kill their leadership and their stop their ability to arm Israel’s neighbours and the attacks on Israel will cease? I’m not sure the Israeli Government would care if they started WW3. It’s better for them that the ‘West’ is at war too.
I don't think the Israeli Government gives a flying f**k about what anyone else thinks, about how many innocent people they kill or whether their actions initiate a much wider conflagration. Both Israel and Iran have lost total touch with their moral compasses. This is a bloody dangerous situation which the west, or the east for that matter, are pretty helpless to influence other then, perhaps, to cease giving these tyrannical regimes the arms with which to fight.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Who's talking about rewarding them? Obviously aggressors shouldn't be rewarded, but that doesn't mean they should have their land taken as punishment. Germany were harshly punished for their part in WW1 (not that they started it) and that punishment lead to WW2. Israel are occupying land that doesn't belong to them, and many people are rising up against them. You reap what you sow.
May i ask if who did start ww1 then ? Was it not ultimately Germany ?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Iran is certainly not a benign presence but it has far less violations of UN statutes, it hasn't illegally annexed it's neighbors land, it isn't a rogue nuclear state, it hasn't undertaken actions that can at a minimum be queried as genocide.
Seems odd to pick on them.

Jun 21, 2011
May i ask if who did start ww1 then ? Was it not ultimately Germany ?
Serbian terrorists the black hand killing the archduke of Austria Hungary and the subsequent reaction by Austria (invading Serbia) setting off the web of alliances in Europe. Britain's direct involvement was because of the German invasion of Belgium but the war had already begun at that point.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Iran is certainly not a benign presence but it has far less violations of UN statutes, it hasn't illegally annexed it's neighbors land, it isn't a rogue nuclear state, it hasn't undertaken actions that can at a minimum be queried as genocide.
Seems odd to pick on them.
You don't think that providing arms to an organisation that wishes death to all Jews could be construed as genocidal?

We really ought to get away from this idea that Israel wants to wipe out Palestinians. They are taking care not to kill more civilians than they could help. If they want to kill all 2 million Palestinians in Gaza and have only killed an estimated 20,000 so far, they've either got a hopelessly incompetent military or else they are not genocidal.

How many wars (excluding the Falklands) have the UK fought without killing civilians?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who says it dosent belong to them ?.. the claim of land rights goes back more than a 100 years or so ! . This is not something that has just cropped up over geo political boundries from WW1 onwards . this goes back a couple of thousand years or so
Israel didn't exist as a country then. It was created with borders. Its not ok to just keep taking land.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You don't think that providing arms to an organisation that wishes death to all Jews could be construed as genocidal?

We really ought to get away from this idea that Israel wants to wipe out Palestinians. They are taking care not to kill more civilians than they could help. If they want to kill all 2 million Palestinians in Gaza and have only killed an estimated 20,000 so far, they've either got a hopelessly incompetent military or else they are not genocidal.

How many wars (excluding the Falklands) have the UK fought without killing civilians?
37,396 Palestinian fatalities by June 19, as accepted by Israeli intelligence officials.

According to The Lancet the figures could be as high as 186,000 if they include indirect fatalities caused by starvation and disease.

As for war and civilians fatalities per se, things have changed since WW1 and 2. Weapons and intelligence have evolved to be more sophisticated, accurate and less indiscriminate. Israel has not, and only pays lip service to the idea of only targeting legitimate targets. In reality they could not give a shit.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Israel didn't exist as a country then. It was created with borders. Its not ok to just keep taking land.
Agreed as a state of israel that was created 1948 , but as a people claiming land it goes back to biblical times , and at the end of the day this conflict and many others has been a consequence of this and many holy wars

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

This would be the Israel that has a march every year where they chant "death to arabs", where members of the knesset tell Palestinians that they will die, their children will die and their grandchildren will die, where they call Palestinian children vermin. The Israel so opposed to a 2 state solution that almost no Israeli under 40 has even heard of the green line.
And 200,000 would be a low estimate but clearly you must be one of those Israel apologists who view the lancet as a hotbed of antisemitism.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Reports coming in of Israel carrying out an airstrike on Damascus in Syria last night just as news is coming in of a limited ground invasion by Israel into Southern Lebanon

This other news below may have slipped under the radar because it went largely under-reported in Western MSM but Russia apparently thwarted an Israeli airstrike on Syria a few days ago - the presence of Russian forces in Syria complicates an already very complex arena in the ME

(note to @Bozza - not sure whether you want these threads to stay separate or combine them? For now, I’ve posted Israel’s attack on Syria as a separate thread)

This really is the road to WW3 and really hard to see how it pulls back from here. Russia will back Syria and Iran, the Chinese could also easily get involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here