Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Adams????????????????????

Would appointing Micky Adams bring part of the crowd back?

• Yes

Votes: 70 50.7%
  • No

Votes: 68 49.3%

• Total voters

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Didnt he walk out?

What has he done since?

Would he be able to do a job without money?

He accepted a better paid job to enhance his career in a prem bound club...he took leicester up didnt he????....I for one dont blame him for leaving.

If your on say 50k a year and a job offer comes up at a company who will pay you 3-4x more...what would you say?

Granted he hasnt had the best of times since leaving...but can you honestly say he could do much worse than what were currantly watching.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Qualities

Seeing as this thread is still running, there is something I want to add. There are certain managers, and Mickey is one, that have a certain something. If I was to try and explain, I think it is a mixture of inner belief, decisiveness and integrity. I think this combination inspires others, particularly after a defeat or in bad times. That is why Mickey did well here - he is a leader; it doesnt mean he is always right, but he leads. He won his way into my affection (and many others, I believe) - I have a lot of respect for him, and the players played for him. I was gutted when he left, but didnt blame him.

Another manager who had similar qualities was Chris Cattlin. The opposite in my opinion would be Barry Lloyd.

Could Mickey do a better job than Dean Wilkins? Damn yes! Hope it happens, and soon.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
no - because he would not be able to do what he did last time and completely change the playing staff, and bring in all new players who would be good enough to become established in the Championjship

Also he wouldn't have the feel good factor of returning to Brighton after Gillingham, or time, last time it was 2.5 seasons before promotion from a division lower than we are now

I say stick with what we have, the start of building work at Falmer will make a difference.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Changing the manager will make no differance,the same person will be holding the purse strings, even Sir Alec would not be able to overcome that handicap.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Of course it would... we would get better results and, in time, players and a better team...

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Great crowd again last night.

Well done Dean for inspiring the people from Brighton to turn up!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well done the club for charging silly money for Div 3 football.

I could go and watch Arsenal for a tenner more tonight

But who wants to go to watch Arsenal? Brighton SUPPORTERS want to watch Brighton and if the goods are produced on the field they will turn up if not , well we are seeing what happens then.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But who wants to go to watch Arsenal? Brighton SUPPORTERS want to watch Brighton and if the goods are produced on the field they will turn up if not , well we are seeing what happens then.

I clearly dont want to watch Arsenal.

I was just pointing out you could go and watch Champions league football in a nice ground for around a tenner more than Div 3 football in a shit hole.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I agree with many of the points that have been made regarding finances and the Withdean factor. It is clear that until we move to Falmer we will not be able to seriously strive to be a Championship team. But that doesn't mean that we have to get totally down in the mouth and just aim for mediocrity until then. At the moment there is indisputable evidence that Wilkins is having a negative effect on the fan base which can't be good in the long run. We must have lost nearl a generation of fans because of the Withdean factor and at the moment we risk doing the same thing again.

As many people have pointed out, the younger members of the crowd are more concerned with the day out as a whole rather than the quality of the football on show. Obviously the quality of the football does affect the quality of the day out but there are other factors involved such as atmosphere, pre/half time entertainment etc. At the moment the mood of the crowd is down and so the atmosphere is effected. Some people will start to return once we start to win again but many who have not been coming to Withdean in recent seasons won't suddenly start coming if we start to win.

Dean Wilkins is clearly a talented coach and a very popular figure at the club but he is simply not exciting or interesting enough to attract people to come to Withdean who have not been coming much before. The paralells between Adams and Keegan have been drawn already but on the day that Keegan was re-appointed, Newcastle sold 20,000 tickets in the 2 hours before kick off. The reason being that they knew that the man had something about him - a spark, charisma, call it what you will. They weren't expecting miracles but they were expecting someone who had passion, nouse, commitment at the same time as being a relatively proven manager.

From our point of view Micky Adams could fill the same role. Someone who we know was fiercely committed to the club when he was here, has remained in touch and on good terms since he left and is a proven manager at this level.

Many will say that sacking DW would be harsh and pointless. I can see where they are coming from because we are not in danger of going down at the moment but sadly circumstances dictate that we need some kind of shake up to bring the fans back and DW is not the man to do that.

I would personally love for Micky to come back and to be the manager to lead us out at Falmer. Whether he would come back or DK would want him back are open for debate but I can see no reasons against him not being appointed.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Not that I am advocating it, but if it happened on a Wednesday before a Sat home game I think it could put between 1,000-1,200 on the gate.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
We were in the right place at the right time when we appointed Adams and he was able to reconstruct the team he was setting up at Fulham before Al-Fayed arrived and wanted something much bigger, a number of whom followed him to Brighton to be reassembled. But that was 8 years ago things have moved on.

I seem to recall Mullery's return was particularly unsuccessful and in differing circumstances he was unable to repeat his previous feats.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
It's up to you but something needs to change to generate revenue for next season or it will be this all over again!

But what you forget is that Adams left because he wasn't given the money to spend to improve the team and he was offered what was, at the time, a better job at a Premier League club (at that time). No fault of anyone's - Dick Knight could not give money that he didn't have.
Adams will not come back - it would be a backward step for both him and the Albion if he did.
The problem has many strings, as Cadiz seagull pointed out earlier in the thread.
These being
fairly poor football (DW seems to be able to motivate for half a match and no longer - I don't think I've seen a whole 90 minutes of good quality since he has been manager whereas I have seen a good few decent "halves").
the whole "Withdean Experience" which ain't particularly good but at least it's back in Brighton
the price which is high
the fact that this is our first "mid table mediocrity" season for ages - team in transition or team no good I don't know
people like to moan

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
We were in the right place at the right time when we appointed Adams and he was able to reconstruct the team he was setting up at Fulham before Al-Fayed arrived and wanted something much bigger, a number of whom followed him to Brighton to be reassembled. But that was 8 years ago things have moved on.

I seem to recall Mullery's return was particularly unsuccessful and in differing circumstances he was unable to repeat his previous feats.

That is a bit unfair - he wasnt given long and we were mid-table in the old Div 2. And look what came afterwards - the incomparable Barry Lloyd!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
2nd time around Mullery was used to get BL the job and then sacked for a stupid reason. It took him 45 minutes to drive from his home in Banstead to Brighton and that was too far away but was still a lot quicker than Hinshlewood and some of the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here