Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Adams????????????????????

Would appointing Micky Adams bring part of the crowd back?

• Yes

Votes: 70 50.7%
  • No

Votes: 68 49.3%

• Total voters

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Maybe I'm being a bit sensible here for a moment and if so I apologise in advance, it won't happen again.

Surely the two main reasons for the low crowds are -

1 Mid-table obscurity. We aren't going up, we aren´t going down, so there's not a lot to get excited about. This is the first season for ages that looks like it is going to peter out without excitement or despair - we don't have a lot to play for.

2 On its own this wouldn´t necessarily be a problem but when you factor in the Withdean problems - lousy stadium, we´ve been there for what seems like ages with no obvious date for a change or improvement, understandably high prices, then it shows in low crowds.

Question. If we had just returned from Gillingham this season would we have low crowds even with the same football and results? Answer, no. People would come because of the novelty.

The novelty wore off long ago with Withdean. Withdean fatigue is a huge problem for us and will only go away when we have a definite date for the move to Falmer.

And I don't see that either of these are down to Wilkins or would show any long term improvement if he went and another manager came in. OK, for a few weeks the place would buzz but it wouldn't last.

Whether we like it or not or whether we accept it or not, this club can at best only tread water until we get close to Falmer. Some people could argue that Wilkins should play better football (presumably this means winning football) but I just don't see we have the resources to do this, not without lashing out money we don't have and jeapordising the financial future of the club. That certainly would not happen while Dick Knight is Chairman and I for one am grateful for that.

I seriously do not think that we can improve significantly with the resources we have. Until they improve we have to do the best with what we have. And IMHO Wilkins is doing that.

You can argue that we have won Championships and Play-Offs under similar restrictions in the last few years and nobody enjoyed those times more than me. But I am still convinced we over-achieved in those years.

Our financial situation simply will NOT improve until two things happen. Firstly someone with serious dosh comes in and secondly we are at Falmer. The first won't happen until the second is very close. I think this is the reality of the situation but I can totally understand the frustration of many people. Welcome to the world of being an Albion supporter!

We could have had 6 or 7 years of mid-table obscurity, then we would really have had something to moan at!

Correct in every word.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Maybe I'm being a bit sensible here for a moment and if so I apologise in advance, it won't happen again.

Surely the two main reasons for the low crowds are -

1 Mid-table obscurity. We aren't going up, we aren´t going down, so there's not a lot to get excited about. This is the first season for ages that looks like it is going to peter out without excitement or despair - we don't have a lot to play for.

2 On its own this wouldn´t necessarily be a problem but when you factor in the Withdean problems - lousy stadium, we´ve been there for what seems like ages with no obvious date for a change or improvement, understandably high prices, then it shows in low crowds.

Question. If we had just returned from Gillingham this season would we have low crowds even with the same football and results? Answer, no. People would come because of the novelty.

The novelty wore off long ago with Withdean. Withdean fatigue is a huge problem for us and will only go away when we have a definite date for the move to Falmer.

And I don't see that either of these are down to Wilkins or would show any long term improvement if he went and another manager came in. OK, for a few weeks the place would buzz but it wouldn't last.

Whether we like it or not or whether we accept it or not, this club can at best only tread water until we get close to Falmer. Some people could argue that Wilkins should play better football (presumably this means winning football) but I just don't see we have the resources to do this, not without lashing out money we don't have and jeapordising the financial future of the club. That certainly would not happen while Dick Knight is Chairman and I for one am grateful for that.

I seriously do not think that we can improve significantly with the resources we have. Until they improve we have to do the best with what we have. And IMHO Wilkins is doing that.

You can argue that we have won Championships and Play-Offs under similar restrictions in the last few years and nobody enjoyed those times more than me. But I am still convinced we over-achieved in those years.

Our financial situation simply will NOT improve until two things happen. Firstly someone with serious dosh comes in and secondly we are at Falmer. The first won't happen until the second is very close. I think this is the reality of the situation but I can totally understand the frustration of many people. Welcome to the world of being an Albion supporter!

We could have had 6 or 7 years of mid-table obscurity, then we would really have had something to moan at!

While you make you some good points you seem to miss one that is right there is what you said. We overachieved with good managers (Adams, Taylor, Coppell, and McGhee for a while) and can do it again. Out of those I think Adams made the biggest contribution by creating a great team spirit and forward momentum out of very little. To an extent the others took that on.

I think people are too soft on Dean Wilkins. Yes, he is a nice guy doing his best. But football is a ruthless business, and is firstly about success and secondly about attractive football. On the evidence so far Dean Wilkins will achieve neither. The Withdean attendances confirm that others feel this. They may not come on here to say so - they just stop going.

Mickey Adams is free and would definitely do a better job than Wilkins. Isnt that what it is about? Crowds would improve with his appointment. How do I know? My friend and I have just stopped going regularly after 30 years. We are no longer prepared to watch the turgid crap served up week after week. It is nothing to do with Withdean. Sure it is a crap place but we, and many others I suspect, would come back if Mickey was manager again. Think about it...

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
While you make you some good points you seem to miss one that is right there is what you said. We overachieved with good managers (Adams, Taylor, Coppell, and McGhee for a while) and can do it again. Out of those I think Adams made the biggest contribution by creating a great team spirit and forward momentum out of very little. To an extent the others took that on.

I think people are too soft on Dean Wilkins. Yes, he is a nice guy doing his best. But football is a ruthless business, and is firstly about success and secondly about attractive football. On the evidence so far Dean Wilkins will achieve neither. The Withdean attendances confirm that others feel this. They may not come on here to say so - they just stop going.

Mickey Adams is free and would definitely do a better job than Wilkins. Isnt that what it is about? Crowds would improve with his appointment. How do I know? My friend and I have just stopped going regularly after 30 years. We are no longer prepared to watch the turgid crap served up week after week. It is nothing to do with Withdean. Sure it is a crap place but we, and many others I suspect, would come back if Mickey was manager again. Think about it...

Fully agree

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On purely financial grounds Mickey Adams is much more box office than Wilkins. The club clearly have to consider this factor.

However, Wilkins assembled a team that was pushing for the play-offs, and he could argue that but for the board's stance on contracts with Savage, Hammond, O'Callaghan and Richards we'd be right in the mix.

When we look back at this season I reckon that the reason why it didn't happen for us will be the December contract madness.

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
What I find odd is that Micky Adams had one great season with us, and left for what he thought was a better job and more money. Yet the majority of people here seem to be willing to accept him back with open arms.

Dean Hammond on the other hand did exactly the same thing and he is slated as being 'disloyal'

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

How can you say that Adams would definitely do a better job than Wilkins?

It is possible but not definite. He hasn't exactly set the world alight anywhere else has he? He would have the same players as Wilkins to work with.

There is nothing definite about it at all. And who knows how much he would need to be paid and what Wilkins' pay-off would have to be?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
What I find odd is that Micky Adams had one great season with us, and left for what he thought was a better job and more money. Yet the majority of people here seem to be willing to accept him back with open arms.

Dean Hammond on the other hand did exactly the same thing and he is slated as being 'disloyal'

It wasnt the length of time Adams was here it was the squad he assembled,the momentum he built up the passion that returned to the club after those awful days at gillingham and obviously the championship and foundation he put together for a succesive championship in league one.

He is an albion ledge and the way he bought in cullip,oatway,freeman,chippy,zamo in such a short space of time was incredible and also the way he made them all gel....those were great days.......

For me as an albion fan....adams coming back would be as close as keegan coming back for geordie fans......and before anyone else sticks the boot in...the fact that keegans return to the toon hasnt set the world alight so far has nout to do with adams failing if he does return one day

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
yeah, I think the time though was special because adams was the one who happened to be in charge at the time of our return home, and the first season at withdean. he did do a great job with the resources but did ultimately leave for a better job - like taylor and coppell after him

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One thing about Adams is that he inspired loyalty. Half the team we assembled back in the League 2 heydays were former players of his at Brentford, Swansea etc. Having managed at a higher level than League 1 he'd have no problem attracting players to the club now.

I genuinely think he will return to the club in some capacity in the future, and I look forward to that. However, it takes more than a manager to keep the fans coming and buying season tickets. We're still too far away from Falmer for that to be much of a carrot as regards players, but move things on one year and that might be different.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why do people keep going on about Adams doing great things with the resources. When he came in we were a Division 4 club and by Div 4 standards we were quite big spenders. As well as paying momey for Zamora and (I think) Cullip, we signed Lee Steele, Nathan Jones, Richard Carpenter and, er , Geoff Pitcher in the face of stiff competion from other teams. How many times recently has the Albion been seen as the best option for a player looking to choose between clubs?

I'm not knocking Adams: I fully agree with what people say about him creating team spirit and engendering loyalty (although I think some of that process had been started by Horton) and he did a great job for us but considering him as someone who can do a great job on meagre resources? Nah, that's not how I remember him: I really can't see how he'd do a better job than Wilkins.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Hammond wasn't slated for being disloyal. He was slated for bullshitting everyone about the reasons he wouldn't sign the contract he was offered.

But thats for another thread.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One thing about Adams is that he inspired loyalty. Half the team we assembled back in the League 2 heydays were former players of his at Brentford, Swansea etc. Having managed at a higher level than League 1 he'd have no problem attracting players to the club now.

I genuinely think he will return to the club in some capacity in the future, and I look forward to that. However, it takes more than a manager to keep the fans coming and buying season tickets. We're still too far away from Falmer for that to be much of a carrot as regards players, but move things on one year and that might be different.

If - IF - he came back as manager, he would doubtless re-build the team on around some of his players he had at his other clubs. The question is - who?

Similarly, Micky (and Peter Taylor) did have one thing that no manager has had since in this division - Bobby Zamora.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am a great admirer of MA but did he not get the job, allegedly, by being the only applicant who told DK the entire squad was shit and needed replacing, bar the odd one. Could we afford the same luxury now?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am a great admirer of MA but did he not get the job, allegedly, by being the only applicant who told DK the entire squad was shit and needed replacing, bar the odd one.

To be fair, I think most people kind of had an inkling that was the case with the squad at the time - we'd just finished 91st two years running.

gs71

Nov 26, 2007
Bring back Micky now he is a great manager and will turn us around and will get new players in and get rid of the crap. Micky is a legend!!!!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
no thanks - overrated

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
It wasnt the length of time Adams was here it was the squad he assembled,the momentum he built up the passion that returned to the club after those awful days at gillingham and obviously the championship and foundation he put together for a succesive championship in league one.

He is an albion ledge and the way he bought in cullip,oatway,freeman,chippy,zamo in such a short space of time was incredible and also the way he made them all gel....those were great days.......

For me as an albion fan....adams coming back would be as close as keegan coming back for geordie fans......and before anyone else sticks the boot in...the fact that keegans return to the toon hasnt set the world alight so far has nout to do with adams failing if he does return one day

Absolutely agree!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I agree also

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here