Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michel Kuipers - was he our greatest ever goalie?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think so and this is what he thinks of us:

Goalkeeper Michel Kuipers admits he is humbled that an Appreciation Evening has been set up in his honour. Albion fans are hosting the event at Topolino Duo restaurant on Sunday 4th July and the Dutchman, who was released by the club this summer, admits he has been taken aback by the reaction following his departure. He told seagulls.co.uk, "Wherever I've gone in the city, I've been met with so many kind words.

"The reaction has been so positive and I can only thank the fans from the bottom of my heart for the support they have given me throughout my time at the club.To have an evening set up in my honour is truly humbling and I'm sure we'll have a great time. I will be there to chat to all the fans and I'm sure we'll recall some happy memories. This is also my chance to say thank-you to them all."
Michel has joined Blue Square Premier club Crawley Town on a one-year deal but admits it'll be a strange feeling to get in his car for training next week and not head for Falmer.
He added: "It will be different, that's for sure, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Sam Rents is at Crawley and he told me it's a very professional set up and the manager [Steve Evans] will be looking for promotion. I can't wait to get going."

Kuipers, who will be coaching the Seagulls' U9 side this season, says he will also be going into training with a spring in his step following Holland's fine showing so far at this summer's World Cup. The Dutch face Cameroon in Cape Town today with Bert van Marwijk's side already assured of a place in the second round. "We've been playing really good football and we've not even played Arjen Robben yet - we are saving him for the semi-finals!" he laughs."Seriously, I think he'll come into the side for the second round and hopefully we can go all the way to the final. "When we got there in 1974 and 1978, we played the hosts in the final, but that won't happen this time. Hopefully that is a good omen for us."

What a guy. Anyone else going to his meal next Sunday?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
he is a great guy, but I think its stretching it a bit far to say he was the greatest ever. I can name 4 in front of him.

Grummit, Steele, Moseley, Corrigan

PS yes going to the meal!!!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Club legend and all that but he is nowhere near being our greatest ever 'keeper. I can think of at least three who are better since I started following the Albion in '86.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
definitely not in terms of ability - but in terms of character and popularity then he is certainly up there

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Certainly from a SILVERWARE point of view yes. (Appreciate it was Roberts mainly in the play off season)

Plus it will be kind of weird not having Kuipers name in the squad lists next season.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I bloody LOVE Michel, I do. A very decent keeper when he was/is on his game and never anything other than a highly passionate and entertaining player. He's in my top ten favourite albion players for sure. he's in there with Garry Nelson, John Keeley, john Byrne, Sergei Gotzmanov, Steve foster and bobby zamora. LEGEND!

(Can someone who's going pass on my undying admiration for him? :thumbsup:)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
he is a great guy, but I think its stretching it a bit far to say he was the greatest ever. I can name 4 in front of him.

Grummit, Steele, Moseley, Corrigan

PS yes going to the meal!!!

Add Keeley and Beeney to the list for me please.

Great servant to Albion however :thumbsup:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Fabulous, fabulous keeper. Best ever? Who knows. But absolutely one of the all-time greats. Hell of a good bloke too.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Yes he has been a great servant but I’m in agreement that Grummet and Steele were the best keepers we’ve had in my time.

I would put FDM up there with Corrigan and Mosley but I would also add Keeley to that second tier.

On his day Digweed would be there as well but he was definitely our David James because when he was good he was fantastic but when he had an off day it was a case of thank you and good night.

FDM I salute you!!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Definitely a legend, but in terms of skill I would put Beeney and Moseley ahead of him...however, to remain first choice for the best part of ten years is no mean achievement, which probably says more for his character than ability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here