Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michel Kuipers - was he our greatest ever goalie?

he is a great guy, but I think its stretching it a bit far to say he was the greatest ever. I can name 4 in front of him.

Grummit, Steele, Moseley, Corrigan

PS yes going to the meal!!!

All of these, particularly Peter Grummit, plus Geoff Sidebottom and Eric Gill; some will probably nominate Brian Powney but, like MK, he had limitations IMO.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Best?

Yes. but its a balance.
Not the best ability, although he's up there of the keepers i've seen.
Definatly the best character and attitude to the club.

So what he lacks in one area, he more than makes up for in another.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I saw Lord Kuipers buying a coffee in Cafe Nero on Lewes High Street about an hour ago...

He even did that perfectly, what a HERO.

:)

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I guess you are forgetting that we once had a goalie with 100 international caps, and who was selected for three World Cup squads, playing in two of them.

Statistically he must have been the greatest.

Except he was rubbish.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Joe Corrigan had how many games for us?
I wouldnt class him as one of our best, past his prime when he joined us. Id put FDM ahead of him and Digweed

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Been watching BHA since peter Grummit and probably rekon that John Keely is the best ive seen.

Grummit, Beeney and Steele were decent too.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I guess you are forgetting that we once had a goalie with 100 international caps, and who was selected for three World Cup squads, playing in two of them.

Except he was rubbish.

Tony Meola, I guess?

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009

Except he was rubbish.

Apart from Tony Meola we also had Rami Shaaban who played in The World Cup finals too, but neither of them looked too clever.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

no because he was useless and only the lickers love him

:angry::angry::angry:

Picture 2.png

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
A decent enough keeper at the level he played with us and if you were at the Torquay cup game you KNOW he is better than his replacement.

But nowhere near our best keeper. Gill,Hollins,Powney from my earliest Albion days were all better keepers,and many people have mentioned more recent ones who have been better .

But FDM is undoubtedly an Albion great,apparently a decent bloke.Dare we say a stalwart? He saw off many challengers for his position and Crawley have a gem.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've have to put him third after Graham Moseley and Roberts.

The best save I ever saw by an Albion keeper was a save by Moseley that was likened to the Gordan Banks save against Brazil.

It was on a televised game too.

On a legends front my wife met someone at work the other day who played in a team with Peter Ward before he joined Brighton.

Not sure if it was Burton, but the bloke was from the Derby area.

They were watching the world cup at some do and she mentioned I was a Brighton fan. First thing he mentioned was Wardy.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
A decent enough keeper at the level he played with us and if you were at the Torquay cup game you KNOW he is better than his replacement.

But nowhere near our best keeper. Gill,Hollins,Powney from my earliest Albion days were all better keepers,and many people have mentioned more recent ones who have been better .

But FDM is undoubtedly an Albion great,apparently a decent bloke.Dare we say a stalwart? He saw off many challengers for his position and Crawley have a gem.

The very fact he's gone to Crawley is awesome. You can take the boy out of the Brighton, but you can't take the Brighton out of the boy. Could ahve gone further afield, and played at a higher level, but his love for not only the club but the city and the people in it which make up the club means he's going to stay just a short drive up the road.

All good things come to an end, and the man demonstrates a grace when leaving the club thats endearing without being a case of a job for the lads.

Kuipers in a smilie? :bowdown:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm a Beeneyholic. I loved his bulkiness and shot-stopping prowess. His sale to Leeds saved us from bankruptcy too, partly thinks to Howard Wilkinson, so for me he's a lifetime legend. They stupidly made him lose weight and try to be nimble. That was never his game. He was an agile enough domineering force to take control of a timidly-guarded box. The Been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here