Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MFI,Woolworths who is next ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gully,you are just a defeatist !!! Only a question of time before Tesco open on Christmas Day :angry:

Why on earth Tescos is open on Boxing Day is beyond me altogether.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Why on earth Tescos is open on Boxing Day is beyond me altogether.

Why you see people stocking up with food in the run up to Christmas looking like they are preparing to sustain a small army through a famine is a bit of a loss to me, especially when the shops are only shut for a couple of days throughout the whole holiday period.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Don't see the problem if shops are open on christmas day as my ginger headed friend from the Emerald Isle has stated.They are running a business.If you don't like it then don't shop on that day.Others will.I certainly would if i need to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't see the problem if shops are open on christmas day as my ginger headed friend from the Emerald Isle has stated.They are running a business.If you don't like it then don't shop on that day.Others will.I certainly would if i need to.

Shop opening is an interesting point. In Berlin most of the big businesses and shops are closed on Sundays. All supermarkets are closed. It's only small shops and cafes restaurants and bars open. Sunday's seem centered around friends, family and activity as opposed to mindless and endless consumerism.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Think France is like that.Well it seems like it whenever i go for day trips over there.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think France is like that.Well it seems like it whenever i go for day trips over there.

My memories of day trips to France are mainly via the Newhaven-Dieppe route. The ferry used to get into Dieppe at something like 11:55. At which point every damn supermarket in Dieppe would promptly shut for a two hour lunch break :thud:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
My memories of day trips to France are mainly via the Newhaven-Dieppe route. The ferry used to get into Dieppe at something like 11:55. At which point every damn supermarket in Dieppe would promptly shut for a two hour lunch break :thud:
Only did that trip twice.I hated the long crossing but Dieppe is so much nicer then calais. Still ,sailling from Dover is much more pleasant.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
opening every day of the year is good...do not see why there is a 4pm closure at most places anyway.

if the church are banging on about it being a holy day.............the church's busy day is a sunday !!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
opening every day of the year is good...do not see why there is a 4pm closure at most places anyway.

if the church are banging on about it being a holy day.............the church's busy day is a sunday !!
And who really goes?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Gully,you are just a defeatist !!! Only a question of time before Tesco open on Christmas Day :angry:

They already can if the store is below the legal limit (on store sizes not alcohol in blood stream).

Tesco is an awful place to shop advertises cheap prices then never has any stock of the thing on offer.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I certainly would if i need to.

What would you NEED to buy on Xmas Day though?

I reckon all shops should be shut Xmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

The one I work in is shut two of those three days, and on the other day I get a £200 bonus for working 4 hours, so I can't say I'm complaining too much from that POV.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Just thought of another one - surely Officers Club can't survive much longer? Seems to have permanent sales!!

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
What would you NEED to buy on Xmas Day though?

I reckon all shops should be shut Xmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

The one I work in is shut two of those three days, and on the other day I get a £200 bonus for working 4 hours, so I can't say I'm complaining too much from that POV.

Batteries is usually a favourite

Some of us do not celebrate christmas not being christians so its simply December the 25th. And before someone bleats on about those who work in retail I work in retail and object having to use 2 of my holiday days on days when I don't want holiday because christians think I should believe the same fairy stories they do.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I work in retail and object having to use 2 of my holiday days on days when I don't want holiday because christians think I should believe the same fairy stories they do.

I suspect you're in a small minority amongst retail staff in that view. I would imagine that if companies thought most of their staff would be willing to work Xmas Day, they'd be more open to the concept of opening. Personally, I would NEVER work Xmas Day.

Personally, I think it's nice to have at least one (two, including Easter Sunday) day off from the constant need people feel these days to be able to go shopping all the bloody time. God knows how we used to cope when shops were all shut on a Sunday and half-day closing on Wednesdays was far more common than it now is.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A lot of people in retail dont want to work on Xmas Day as they would only be on time and a half , which is bank holiday rate. As Sunday is now considered an ordinary day in the week like a Saturday you dont get paid any extra for working at the weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here