Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MFI,Woolworths who is next ?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
......what a sad list,tumbleweed in the high street,mass unemployment of local people,whilst sad souls shop via computer,never leaving their house....because its cheaper.....i wonder who is the more "enriched "

Shopping in the highstreet = hours of hassle, rude shop staff, risk of pickpockets, parking mayhem

Shopping online = done in minutes, much extra time left over to do proper leisure activities in, outside if thats what you want.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
......what a sad list,tumbleweed in the high street,mass unemployment of local people,whilst sad souls shop via computer,never leaving their house....because its cheaper.....i wonder who is the more "enriched "

Shopping in the highstreet = hours of hassle, rude shop staff, risk of pickpockets, parking mayhem

Shopping online = done in minutes, much extra time left over to do proper leisure activities in, outside if thats what you want.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Is there an echo in here?

;)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The group still own other business's such as a 40% stake in E2UK (Joint venture with BBC) and Bartrams Publishing.

With BBC Worldwide (the separate commercial arm) and not in any danger of going under, is doing very well by all accounts. I read recent reports saying that the company would be "bailed out by the licence fee payer" which is utter bollocks. The profits of BBC Worldwide get pumped back into the BBC, but if BBC Worldwide bought the other half of the company it would be it's own money and nothing to do with the licence fee.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
WH Smiths is my top tip for going under. In the same way Woolworths was an old brand that has not kept up with the times, WHSmiths is similar. No proper on line shopping experience. Much cheaper options elsewhere, and huge overheads.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
I go into WH Smiths quite a lot and they're always heaving with people. I usually get my papers and magazines from there as they have good locations. It's not as if what they sell is out of date as they sell current publications. They might sell some of their less profitable premises, and stop things like CDs and books (in some branches), but I would be surprised if they did completely go under. I'd certainly still see them as an attractive investment if I was e.g. venture capitalist. Maybe just needs some shrewd management.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I go into WH Smiths quite a lot and they're always heaving with people. I usually get my papers and magazines from there as they have good locations. It's not as if what they sell is out of date as they sell current publications. They might sell some of their less profitable premises, and stop things like CDs and books (in some branches), but I would be surprised if they did completely go under. I'd certainly still see them as an attractive investment if I was e.g. venture capitalist. Maybe just needs some shrewd management.

Yep papers and magzines. The high profit products though are the ones that don't sell. I agree it is always busy, but so was woolworths in the crisp and sweet section, but they needed people to be buying tellies and toys where the profit was, but people went elsewhere. Same for Smith's, hardly anyone buys Books, DVD's or CD's there anymore. Its all too available and cheap online.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Green is streets ahead of everyone else on the High Street with BHS, slashed debt and turned them round from being boring to very fashionable.

M&S should have let him through the door but they bottled it.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Hmm, I think we have a little confusion about offshore - I fly out to North Sea Oil Platforms etc. & do Health & Safety Audit/Consultancy work for Exploration & Production companies who operate the Rigs - I presume the offshoring company you are talking about is something different?

Yes our definition is quite different then. A fair chunk of our processing work has been moved to India, ie off shored. Quite like the majority of companies with call centres who are in india.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Shopping online = done in minutes, take a day off work and stay in all day just so a man in a white van can drop a card through your door telling you you were out, or join an orderly hundred yard queue at the sorting office on a Saturday morning

Absolute FORTUNE awaiting the first company to come up with a home delivery service that delivers when you're at home.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
SMITHS
HALFORDS
COMET
CURRYS
BHS
JJsports terminal closing down sales but never do
would'nt miss any of them
the sad thing is its putting people out of a job

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Shopping online = done in minutes, take a day off work and stay in all day just so a man in a white van can drop a card through your door telling you you were out, or join an orderly hundred yard queue at the sorting office on a Saturday morning

Absolute FORTUNE awaiting the first company to come up with a home delivery service that delivers when you're at home.

Or just get a large enough postbox that the postman can actually put stuff like Amazon boxes *in* it....

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
By the time this thread has run its course, with everyone posting their suggestions, it is likely that we will only be left with one shop open...Tesco!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here