Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MFI,Woolworths who is next ?

My memories of day trips to France are mainly via the Newhaven-Dieppe route. The ferry used to get into Dieppe at something like 11:55. At which point every damn supermarket in Dieppe would promptly shut for a two hour lunch break :thud:

Have spent the last five summer holidays in France and it is only in the holiday areas that the Hypermarkets open on a Sunday and then only in the morning. Intermarche supermarket chain still shut for lunch 1200-1400.

Town centres are generally ghost towns on a Sunday and on Monday mornings (most shops seem to close then as well). However many shops, although they take a long lunch, stay open until 1900 or thereabouts and I noticed that more are actually opening "sans interrupte" (ie not shutting for lunch) whilst still shutting late.

And civilisation doesn't grind to a halt because of it. Shopping in the UK for as much and as long as possible does seem to be a national obsession, and, ignoring any religious views on the subject (which I don't have) I do wonder why. Why does Scotland have different Sunday trading lawsl despite being perceived as more religious?

Remind me what this thread was originally about!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Set up an opinion poll for their staff-I'm sure you'll get enough reasons for them to stay closed.

99% of which will be religion based or "its a day for the family" based...

When I worked in BT they never had problems getting enough staff to *volunteer* to work Christmas Day. There was quite a lot of extra money on offer and there are many people who would quite like to be able to treat it as a normal day.

Over here the Sunday trading laws were shredded in the 1980s and theres been no ill effects from it. You're not forced to pre-plan for every possible eventuality and need knowing that absolutely everything is available any day - or any time seeing as theres 24 hour supermarkets/pharmacies/newsagents all over. I don't see why any one day should be demarcated as different to the rest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here