Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mendoza10 has just been thrown out of Whaddon Road...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Shit :lol: I've just read my post back, in yours. Sorry, that should read 'IF I had joined in' [the pies chant].

Normally I probably would have, and apologies tiptop if that makes me a bad person, but I never swear in front of my kids. Not ever. Even when Cheltenham scored, I confined myself to a 'SAKE.

As for standing up for what you believe in, I agree with the sentiment entirely, but chose to leave it, for two reasons;

1. I didn't want to ruin my son's first ever away game, by making him watch his Dad have an argument with a stranger. You've no way of knowing how someone will react and his reaction to any comments may have not been pleasant.

2. The offending comment didn't even register with his innocent ears, and I didn't really want to bring it to his attention.

Seems fair enough to me :clap:

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Shit :lol: I've just read my post back, in yours. Sorry, that should read 'IF I had joined in' [the pies chant].

Normally I probably would have, and apologies tiptop if that makes me a bad person, but I never swear in front of my kids. Not ever. Even when Cheltenham scored, I confined myself to a 'SAKE.

As for standing up for what you believe in, I agree with the sentiment entirely, but chose to leave it, for two reasons;

1. I didn't want to ruin my son's first ever away game, by making him watch his Dad have an argument with a stranger. You've no way of knowing how someone will react and his reaction to any comments may have not been pleasant.

2. The offending comment didn't even register with his innocent ears, and I didn't really want to bring it to his attention.

Ah, no problem HKFC. I agree with your responding post.

You have passed the test. you are officially a GOOD DAD :thumbsup:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
To be fair, Des, and much as I adore him, Andy Rumble looks like the sort of person the stewards immediately want to fling out. And generally the regularity and pointless obviousness with which he does idiotic things attracts thick stewards like flies to the proverbial steaming pile (I heartily condone such behaviour, by the way, Mr Perry. You can’t ban all us fuckwits yet, you still need the money.)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Happy to report that despite the nasty man, a few seats along, using BAD WORDS, my lad thoroughly enjoyed his first away day.

We got to Cheltenham about 12, at which point I realised that I couldn't head for the pub, and that I should have left home at least an hour later! Instead we parked near the ground, and headed into the town, where he looked in a few sports and toy shops and had his lunch in Burger King.

Then we headed back to the ground, got a program and went in. He was then delighted when Alex Revell spotted his 'Revell 8' away shirt, and came over to shake his hand and have a chat, and sign his program. We sat up at the back and he was well pleased when Alex, plus Lynch and Rents came and sat directly in front of us - cue more signatures.

Meeting the players and getting TWO hot chocolates were undoubtably the high points of his day, but he quite enjoyed the game too!

Happy to report that despite the nasty man, a few seats along, using BAD WORDS, my lad thoroughly enjoyed his first away day.

We got to Cheltenham about 12, at which point I realised that I couldn't head for the pub, and that I should have left home at least an hour later! Instead we parked near the ground, and headed into the town, where he looked in a few sports and toy shops and had his lunch in Burger King.

Then we headed back to the ground, got a program and went in. He was then delighted when Alex Revell spotted his 'Revell 8' away shirt, and came over to shake his hand and have a chat, and sign his program. We sat up at the back and he was well pleased when Alex, plus Lynch and Rents came and sat directly in front of us - cue more signatures.

Meeting the players and getting TWO hot chocolates were undoubtably the high points of his day, but he quite enjoyed the game too!

TWO hot chocolates? I think you need to post something on the 'How much do you owe' thread asap.
Seriously though, glad your lad enjoyed himself - it seems a long time ago that I was in a similar situation with mine but AD jnr has always enjoyed going to away games. Something to do with escaping from his mum and sister I expect.
Orient it is at the weekend although he's now 22 so looks after me (particularly as we're meeting some dodgy sounding east end relatives). I still seem to be paying for the tickets though?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

A heart-warming tale. In some ways it was my 5 year old daughter's first game too. She's been to plenty, starting with a trip to Pride Park when she was about 6 weeks old but not been to a game for 2 years or so now. As a result, she doesn't remember going to a game before.

We also got to Cheltenham quite early, although it's not far from cider country. We didn't see any pubs on the way into town and I was beginning to wish we'd stopped at the TGIs we saw on the way into town. We too parked near the ground and headed toward town. We soon came to a nice looking Thai restaurant and, as she is a Wagamama addict, in we went. I was delighted with a 2 course express lunch for £5.95 and can report the spring rolls and pad thai were top notch. Mads enjoyed her prawn crackers and noodles.

A short stroll back to the ground and the delight of being given a sticker. The turnstyle chap refused to take payment for Mads and let her in for free. Mads chose the seats which were directly in front of NSC's Fran Hagarty. Wine gums and Hula Hoops were provided to retain interest but she thoroughly enjoyed the game and got into a few of the Seagulls/Albion chants as well as inventing a few of her own about wanting the yellows to win. On the way out of town I put the back window down and she gave a loud 'Seagulls' to every red and white shirt we passed. Before falling asleep she asked when we could go again - Torquay it'll be I reckon.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Crikey, you weren't a million miles from my Dad, my little sister and me, I was two rows in front of the players and a bit nearer the goal. Little sister was also pleased that we got a result.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So in summary about Cheltenham: Now a good away day for kids but not for being racist or fatist.

We have an NSC top tip!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
So do I Hiney, I was back home with a cup of tea in my mitts by half past five, pity the game is usually gash.

Their fans singing "Cheltenhamshire" really winds me up, it is sodding Gloucestershire...is theirs the county town, not when I last looked out of my window it wasn't.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
No they don't, you would think that Cheltenham would be more of a rugby town than Gloucester and vice versa with football, but this is one of the few places in England where rugby union is the game of the working man rather than those who speak like they have swallowed a plate of plums.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
On a slight tangent to this, my brother complained about a traffic warden harrassing him whenever he's parked up. He's a cabbie and wrote 2 letters to NCP after this tosspot of a warden kept giving my bro grief.

The traffic warden played the race card (he's originally from Africa) and my brother was officially arrested and questioned under caution.

Just heard today that no further action will be taken by the police as there is no evidence and the character witnesses that my brother could get would run into dozens (my bro used to be a reggae DJ!!!!!). Too many chippy bastards out there willing to cry "racist abuse" when they're in the shit.

Unfortunately there's nothing my brother can do aboutthis and feels completely vulnerable that this bloke could claim assault or abuse again and my brother who has a wife and 3 kids could lose his livelihood over this tosspot.

Oh - and guess which one out of the traffic warden and my brother got free legal advice and which one paid £180 an hour?

Enough to make someone a Daily Mail reader.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here