Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mcshane

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I want to see McShane play upfront! He's already got 3 goals and if a celtic reserve can get 9 or 10 then a man utd reserve should be able to get a dozen. It's OBVIOUS.:)

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Sorry Bens Grandad you've got that wrong - They would have only paid us if Bobby went for over 1.5 million not if he went for less. He was valued as part of the transaction at £750,000 (DK made sure he knew what the figure was)- Also West Ham were in The Championship when Bobby signed for them. It was also still within the premisership's transfer window (ie very early last season)

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may have got mixed up with the reasons but I KNOW that it was reported that to overcome rules Spurs had to make him a free agent to allow him to join West Ham and so they tore up his contract.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Can we not just drop Butters for not being as good as McShane or El Abd? Call me old fashioned!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
BensGrandad said:
I may have got mixed up with the reasons but I KNOW that it was reported that to overcome rules Spurs had to make him a free agent to allow him to join West Ham and so they tore up his contract.
It was a part exchange deal , that's all there is to it. We weren't entitled to a sell on as no money changed hands. Maybe they should have cut off one of Defoe's legs and sent ot us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have said previously I would drop Hammond, as he has lost his goal scoring edge and can't tackle and play Mc Shane as a sweeper thus allowing Butters and El Abd to attack the high balls knowing they are covered and also allow Reid and Mayo to get forward thus enabling Carole and Frutos to help out the forwards.

Effectively as the game progresses we move from 1 - 4 - 3 - 2 to 4 - 3 - 3 or even 4 - 2 - 4 and still retain the ability to defend a breakaway.

BensGrandad said:
Which game were you watching?

Can you not come out with cliched, shite lines like that if you disagree that Hammond played well? Put an argument instead, backed up by examples of what you are talking about.

E

enigma

Silent Bob said:
But playing well at centre back doesn't mean you should have the place at right back. With Mayo and El-Abd at full back Frutos and Carole would be starved of service.

Agreed, but arguably better protected and therefore more free to play their natural game?

There is no way that McGhee will drop Hammond, and I think it very unlikely that he will drop Reid.

The clue was in his substitions the other night, I think Frutos will stand down if Chippy is fit to start.

I reckon El Abd will also return to the bench, although that will depend on what McGhee tactically decides about QPR's only real threat in the game yesterday, Ainsworth, on their right-wing.

Mayo had a relatively easy ride against Hull the other night because Taylor chose to attack in very direct fashion rather than down the wings.

QPR will be very different - who will best cope with the running threat of Ainsworth? I'm very nervous that Mayo might not be up to it.

E

enigma

I saw a bit of that game too LI, and I must say AInsworth is a tricky player.

It would be a shame if Frutos were to lose his place, but perhaps its for the best.

Having Chippy back in would shore up the centre of the park, while also allowing Hammond to get forward from wide on the left, which is arguably where he has played best, not that the critics would give McGhee any credit for this. In addition, Hammon would obviously help to contain Ainsworth.

Shittu is a good player for Rangers, even Big Mac might struggle for power against him.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
London Irish said:
Can you not come out with cliched, shite lines like that if you disagree that Hammond played well? Put an argument instead, backed up by examples of what you are talking about.

I've got be honest LI, I was fuming about the Reading game, because I felt that we got it wrong before we started.

Reading was one of the those 'free games' that managers like to dub them, because nobody gave us a hope in hell to get anything from the game, so why didn't we just go and have a go like we normally do? I couldn't get my head round a 5-4-1 system, it didn't make sense. And I'm sorry, they had a few chances before that embarrassing own goal.

Under normal circumstances, I would have advocated a defensive look away from home at a game like that, but we need wins not draws now, and we may have given them a surprise. Plus the personnel was wrong, with having Leon up front on his own just one of the selection. Don't necessarily disagree about Hammond's performance, but I don't think anybody came out of the game with any credit. I can't agree the performance was decent because it wasn't. That game had that result written all over it from the start.

However, I missed the Hull game, so was pleased we had a win to shout about....

Seagull73 said:
I couldn't get my head round a 5-4-1 system, it didn't make sense. And I'm sorry, they had a few chances before that embarrassing own goal.

I didn't agree with the 5-4-1 system either, I would have preferred us to have stuck with what we did at Watford, and I said that both before and after the game.

But I'm not going to exaggerate what happened. Coppell was wrong-footed by our selection and admitted so afterwards. I disagree with your view that Reading had a lot of first-half chances, they certainly had a lot of possession, but very little to show for it.

It was unravelled by an individual error. McGhee won't crucify Frutos because he's not the kind of player who needs that public dressing down, unlike Leon Knight. But I'd be surprised if he holds his place when everyone is back fit.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I would put Reid back into midfield which his preferred position and drop Hammond.
El Abd at right back.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
London Irish said:
I didn't agree with the 5-4-1 system either, I would have preferred us to have stuck with what we did at Watford, and I said that both before and after the game.

But I'm not going to exaggerate what happened. Coppell was wrong-footed by our selection and admitted so afterwards. I disagree with your view that Reading had a lot of first-half chances, they certainly had a lot of possession, but very little to show for it.

It was unravelled by an individual error. McGhee won't crucify Frutos because he's not the kind of player who needs that public dressing down, unlike Leon Knight. But I'd be surprised if he holds his place when everyone is back fit.

No, I'm not saying you exaggerated what happened, equally I didn't say a lot of chances, I said a few!!

Mmm, as for Frutos, I've been fairly impressed, but yeah when we played Palace we look solid with Hammond out on that left hand side before Chippy got injured. We need to sign a half-decent left-back in the transfer window in my opinion, so that players like Frutos have the freedom to roam more, because we are woefully exposed down that side at times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here