Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee's future - "Not for debate" says Knight

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
More representative I reckon are those fans loudly singing Mark McGhee's name at the end of the game at Home Park

1,000 or so of the Albion's, what, 20,000+ supporters? So that'd be another minority then?

Or are you saying that their opinions in some way matter more? Careful; you're almost straying in "Superfan" territory there ...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
More representative I reckon are those fans loudly singing Mark McGhee's name at the end of the game at Home Park :clap:

But at the end of the game on Saturday there was hardly any of that. There might have been in the section you were sitting, but we were some of the last out as we were retrieving our flag and there just seemed to be people leaving, somewhat despondant, but no McGhee Out or Mark McGhee's Blue and White Army chants.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Brixtaan said:
I wouldn't normally listen to anyone with less than 1000 posts but you're absolutley correct.:thumbsup:

Well, given my current posting rate of 0.7 per day, save your eyes and just skip past mine until January 2010...

???

Uncle Buck said:
But at the end of the game on Saturday there was hardly any of that. There might have been in the section you were sitting, but we were some of the last out as we were retrieving our flag and there just seemed to be people leaving, somewhat despondant, but no McGhee Out or Mark McGhee's Blue and White Army chants.

Does all the booze you drown in on match days make you utterly deaf then? :D

They were as loud as day, bloody hell, you really exist in an utter fog of denial.

Repugnant Toad said:
1,000 or so of the Albion's, what, 20,000+ supporters? So that'd be another minority then?

Or are you saying that their opinions in some way matter more? Careful; you're almost straying in "Superfan" territory there ...

Of course they are a minority but I said "more representative" than the tiny raw numbers who post in these stupid polls :thumbsup:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Uncle Buck said:
But using opinion as fact is indicitive of this board. You have a habit of dismissing the opinion of all those that have issues with McGhee, is that because you do not like or cannot cope with people having a different opinion to you. Surely this board is somewhere to vent these feelings, yet you have been known to use comments such as 'why don't you get behind the team' to those that have used this board to vent frustration, better here than at the game.

I do not know everything, but I do feel McGhee is failing and this downward spiral will continue with him incharge.

I am truly honoured that you remember what I say enough to quote me like that. I would quote some of the rubbish that you write but there is so much of it that it would take a long time to decide what example to use.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Repugnant Toad said:
Nice theory ...

Although the McGhee-in crowd seemed quite happy that NSC was representative when they were winning the polls. It's only now you're being trounced that you're getting upset. Poor show.

If anything, there seems to me to be more support for McGhee on here than "out there", where the overwhelming majority of supporters I speak to want him removed. You're right in that it doesn't follow that a majority on NSC is necessarily a true reflection of supporter-opinion at large, but it would be equally misplaced to suggest that it is necessarily a reflection of a minority view.

It is what it is; however you might try to twist it for your cause.

I never claimed that any of the polls proved anything at the time. However, in my opinion, it does mean more when McGhee is backed though. I think it is agreed that a forum like this is where people come to complain about the manager/players etc. Therefore the fact that the majority supported the manager at first was more interesting than that the majority are opposing him now.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Of the Brighton fans I know personally, opinion is still very split on McGhee. No one actually hates the bloke - the split is a sort of weary resignation on one hand that results are the final arbiter and they're shite, as opposed to the other view, that he deserves a bit longer for all the good work he's done in the past in extraordinarily difficult circumstances.

Personally I see no value in getting rid of the guy now a la McCarthy, but it's a legitimate subject for debate among fans given the dire results.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for Dick Knight. The ideal scenario would have been that we'd had Falmer already, and he could have stepped down in glory after winning the stadium fight, the final part of saving the club.

I get the impression he's just not enjoying it any more, Falmer won't be ready for another year on top - that's a long way off for him. He's getting less and less patient, not unreasonable given all the shit he's had to put up with. But no one can operate effectively like that for ever.

Is he going to be the best chairman fot the next three years? I really don't think so. No one deserves more than Knight to be at the helm when it finally happens, but surely if it was as a life president or something it wouldn't make much difference, we'd all still know who was behind it. Not forgetting the tireless Perry.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Uncle Buck said:
I do not know everything, but I do feel McGhee is failing and this downward spiral will continue with him incharge.

I disagree strongly about the downward spiral. I think that we have a talented young squad here with players such as Henderson, El Abd, Hinshelwood, Hammond, CKR, Frutos, Carole etc as well as more youngsters coming through. We lack an experienced striker and that is where our problems lie at the moment as we cannot score. If we go down, which seems likely at the moment, then I can see McGhee being able to bring in a quality striker at that level and the young players improving.

The development of this young squad will take time and they are having a bad season. I believe that long term it will be detrimental to the development of the squad to sack McGhee. He is bringing through a lot of young players and that will benefit the club long term and probably next season. Give him time next season and I am confident he will deliver.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Finchley Seagull said:
I never claimed that any of the polls proved anything at the time. However, in my opinion, it does mean more when McGhee is backed though. I think it is agreed that a forum like this is where people come to complain about the manager/players etc. Therefore the fact that the majority supported the manager at first was more interesting than that the majority are opposing him now.

I think it attracts extreme opinions on the whole, rather than specifically pro- or anti- ones. Thus, I reckon they mean about the same thing, and broadly speaking, roughly represent wider opinion.

Finchley Seagull said:
The development of this young squad will take time
Indeed so, just as it took Micky Adams time when the last great rebuilding was attempted. Let's not forget that our lovely "vocal minority" friends were out in force having a go at him even during our first Championship year, and there were stories in the Argus speculating about Adams' job being under threat.

This seems sadly inevitable these days, the "vocals" having the patience and memory of a fruit-fly's lifespan.

Repugnant Toad said:
I think it attracts extreme opinions on the whole, rather than specifically pro- or anti- ones. Thus, I reckon they mean about the same thing, and broadly speaking, roughly represent wider opinion.

I agree it attracts extreme opinion, you have that right.

But why you think it is roughly representative I'll never know. Obviously the unhappy bunnies are going to be louder than the majority of even-tempered fans, that goes for most controversies, eg. in any planning application the number of grumpy objectors always make themselves loudly known, the content majority stay silent.

Repugnant Toad said:
Not once ... ;)
Ah yes, but back then you would still have been basking in the warm glow of all those tremendous years at the Priestfield ;)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Irish said:
I agree it attracts extreme opinion, you have that right.

But why you think it is roughly representative I'll never know. Obviously the unhappy bunnies are going to be louder than the majority of even-tempered fans, that goes for most controversies, eg. in any planning application the number of grumpy objectors always make themselves loudly known, the content majority stay silent.

Or can't be bothered arguing any more because they get accused of blind faith, being boring etc etc etc
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Reasoned debate just doesn't come into it.

Tooting Gull said:
I'm beginning to feel sorry for Dick Knight. The ideal scenario would have been that we'd had Falmer already, and he could have stepped down in glory after winning the stadium fight, the final part of saving the club. I get the impression he's just not enjoying it any more

Well, that's certainly not the impression given in the long inside interview published in the Argus today. Knight cites a number of reasons for optimism, but particularly the emergence of the talented youth players. It's a very "positive" interview.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Does all the booze you drown in on match days make you utterly deaf then? :D

They were as loud as day, bloody hell, you really exist in an utter fog of denial.

We were on the left of the away section and I did not hear any of these so called chants.

Does spending all this time on your own mean you are incapable of not answering without an insult? It really is sad, I guess the bogs must make you go a bit funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here