Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee's future - "Not for debate" says Knight

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Re: Re: Not for debate

ExmouthExile said:
The way I read it is the whole statement IS a dreaded 'vote of confidence'

Or rather it's being treated as one when it's not?

I think Dick's damn right to not give the "dreaded vote of confidence", judging from the reactions on here his decision seems somewhat vindicated.

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
blockhseagull said:
So if we are doing Arsenal a favour and playing a behind closed doors game so there players can get fit why can't they do u
s a favour and lend us a f***ing STRIKER !!!!

100% agree with that

Repugnant Toad said:
Not exactly a glowing endorsement. The Argus just love that mythical "vocal minority of fans", don't they?
Agreed - it is an inaccurate statement by the Argus, the anti-manager faction is not particularly vocal.

All I heard after the final whistle at Home Park last Saturday was the away fans chanting Mark McGhee's blue and white army.

Tapping silently at your keyboard can never really be described as "vocal", can it? :D

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
London Irish said:
Agreed - it is an inaccurate statement by the Argus, the anti-manager faction is not particularly vocal.

All I heard after the final whistle at Home Park last Saturday was the away fans chanting Mark McGhee's blue and white army.

Tapping silently at your keyboard can never really be described as "vocal", can it? :D

If we lose on saturday i will be vocalising my opinions to MR McGhee from the running track, and those around where i sit are no longer happy campers but it would appear that people are not encouraged to vocalise their "opinions" by the blinkered majority that prevailing circumstances or not this is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I would say that unquestioned loyalty to a failing regime is not only stupid but massivley short sighted.

SO i'm a pesimist, i can live with that, but it shouldnt stop my opinion that McGhee isnt good enough and is putting the fantastic progress made by this club, it's chairman and previous managers into severe retrograde motion, be any less valid than your rabid and unfailing support.

I support the TEAM on the pitch and the CLUB not the manager.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Time for Arsenal to stump up with the kids.McGhee will need more next season.

fourthteamtillidie said:
If we lose on saturday i will be vocalising my opinions to MR McGhee from the running track, and those around where i sit are no longer happy campers but it would appear that people are not encouraged to vocalise their "opinions" by the blinkered majority that prevailing circumstances or not this is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I would say that unquestioned loyalty to a failing regime is not only stupid but massivley short sighted.

SO i'm a pesimist, i can live with that, but it shouldnt stop my opinion that McGhee isnt good enough and is putting the fantastic progress made by this club, it's chairman and previous managers into severe retrograde motion, be any less valid than your rabid and unfailing support.

I support the TEAM on the pitch and the CLUB not the manager.

Excellent - are you the first volunteer for my £10 bet then? I really do want to make a head start on paying for my season ticket 2007-8 :D

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
London Irish said:
Excellent - are you the first volunteer for my £10 bet then? I really do want to make a head start on paying for my season ticket 2007-8 :D

You should be swamped by pm offers by now? I'll accept some if the load gets too much.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Not for debate

London Irish said:
Well, actually, the more likely explanation is that he isn't prepared to discuss scenarios that involve us getting relegated, because he is backing us 100 per cent to stay up. If only Brighton fans would follow his lead.

Of course he is not going to say McGhee will keep his job when we are relegated, because that would be the chairman accepting tacitly we are going down. The day that the chairman does that, we might as well all give up and come back in August.

But the reality is we all know McGhee will be here in August come what may, and if anyone disagrees with that statement, a sporting £10 bet is on offer to all-comers (or higher if you fancy losing more money).

It read like a statement of a man who has worked in PR, not going to nail colours either way, but it keeps all the punters happy. Acknowledge that he is not going to sack him now, but that also if he does not perform, a review will take place.

Now I do not know what will happen regarding McGhee and nor do you, so you do not know that he will be here come August, however Knight has never really been one to fire managers, although that might have more to do with the fact that they normally leave.

Brixtaan said:
You should be swamped by pm offers by now? I'll accept some if the load gets too much.

For some strange reason I can't hear any of the "vocal" minority :lolol:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
London Irish said:

I love the way you never respond to anything championed in the posts themselves but just refer to what you were drivelling on about.

And no i wont be taking you up on your bet because:-

1) McGhee probably will still be there next season.

2) It would mean meeting you and trying very hard not to punch you in the face when im met by your chirpy gerbilesque grinning face.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
fourthteamtillidie said:
I love the way you never respond to anything championed in the posts themselves but just refer to what you were drivelling on about.

2) It would mean meeting you and trying very hard not to punch you in the face when im met by your chirpy gerbilesque grinning face.

Not sure he would actually show.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not for debate

Uncle Buck said:
It read like a statement of a man who has worked in PR, not going to nail colours either way, but it keeps all the punters happy. Acknowledge that he is not going to sack him now, but that also if he does not perform, a review will take place.

Well, if the statement becalms someone of your views, then I have to accept that you've made a good point about Dick Knight's PR skills :clap:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not for debate

London Irish said:
Well, if the statement becalms someone of your views, then I have to accept that you've made a good point about Dick Knight's PR skills :clap:

Well I have to deal with PR and it just looks like a well manufactured statement that will keep all the natives calm, for the moment. He has come out and said something (people had been wondering where he is), it keeps those with their head in the sound about how great McGhee is happy and it appeases those that do not think he is doing a good job, by saying if he does not keep us in this divsion, then things will have to be looked at in the summer.

Last edited:

fourthteamtillidie said:

:lolol:

Good stuff. I will have some (not much, it's true, but some) respect for you anti-manager lot as long as you don't completely lose all contact with reality by pretending that McGhee is going to be sacked any time soon. Only a disappointing season in League 1 will threaten his job.

Last edited:

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not for debate

Uncle Buck said:
Well I have to deal with PR and it just looks like a well manufactured statement that will keep all the natives calm, for the moment. He has come out and said something (people had been wondering where he is), it keeps those with their head in the sound about how great McGhee is happy and it appeases those that do not think he is doing a good job happy, but saying if he does not keep us in this divsion, then things will have to be looked at in the summer.

Agreed. This is a good little PR job, a couple of days before he's going to face the fans get some news stories out that answer some of the big burning questions. Should take some of the heat out of the questionning.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
blockhseagull said:
So if we are doing Arsenal a favour and playing a behind closed doors game so there players can get fit why can't they do us a favour and lend us a f***ing STRIKER !!!!

Whether it is true or not, i heard that wenger had agreed to let players come to us on the condition they were not played out of position. MM declined as he would not guarentee that - however i'm sure it's more of a case he would not guarantee them 1st team football.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I do hope that rumour is not true. If we have been offered the likes of Lupoli we should guaruntee that they'll play (in postion) because they are much better than what we have currently.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I do hope that rumour is not true. If we have been offered the likes of Lupoli we should guaruntee that they'll play (in postion) because they are much better than what we have currently.

But Magoo will want him in goal or something like that.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
DKs statement....

"Every manager is judged on their results ultimately, that's normal in football. We've got nine more matches and we are going to be battling away, with Mark at the helm, to stay in this league. That is the only issue right now."

... does remind me of his comment about Hinshelwood after we'd lost about 5 straight games. He said something like 'there's no way that we're going to dismiss him right now. However, if we get to 10 then we'll need to reconsider'. It's the 'everyone is judged....nine more matches' bit that leads me to think that something will happen if we do go down.

Of course, I don't see that happening so he'll be safe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here