Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mcghees Contract

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Repugnant Toad said:
Wilson would be my last choice from that list, but I rate him as a manager nonetheless. You may concentrate on his failures, but his considerable successes say more for me.

What considerable successes? He succeeded with Barnsley.
Failures - Sheff Wed, Bristol City and MK Dons
Failures outweighs success.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Finchley Seagull said:
The fact that you want to replace McGhee who did so well to take us up and keep us up is a sad reflection on you and the other 'fans' who share your views.

And with those inverted commas, here comes another "real"/"true"/"loyal" fan, who of course recognises that only those who unfailingly go along with everything the club does and applaud every failure and act of incompetence truly merit the moniker. How tedious.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Repugnant Toad said:
As I'm sure those departing members of your ever-dwindling "we" realise, those are very different, very much more meagre successes, grossly outweighed by the failures.

Are you sure you are supporting the same club as me. The only thing that is meagre during his time at the club has been the resources. His two successful seasons have been followed by one failure. However, seeing as we were all bookies favourites to go down when the season started, we just stayed up last year and then sold Virgs and Harding. Anybody who is surprised about this season must have been delusional.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Yorkie said:
What considerable successes? He succeeded with Barnsley.
Failures - Sheff Wed, Bristol City and MK Dons
Failures outweighs success.

Only if you mistakenly imagine that football can be measured so simplistically. If you equate taking Barnsley to the Premiership with MK Dons currently being bottom of League One, your argument's going nowhere.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Repugnant Toad said:
Only if you mistakenly imagine that football can be measured so simplistically. If you equate taking Barnsley to the Premiership with MK Dons currently being bottom of League One, your argument's going nowhere.

I thought the idea was to improve your position from where you started. Barnsley were promoted I grant you but Sheff Wed were relegated and in deep trouble (I watched them with Ned at the time) He failed to get Bristol City promoted with 4 attempts and cannot get MK Dons out of the relegation zone.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Repugnant Toad said:
And with those inverted commas, here comes another "real"/"true"/"loyal" fan, who of course recognises that only those who unfailingly go along with everything the club does and applaud every failure and act of incompetence truly merit the moniker. How tedious.

Funnily enough I am equally bored of you and others using the same irrational arguments every week. I do not applaud everything that the club does but generally I think that considering the situation the board and manager have done everything possible. The statement at the end about 'act of incompetence' just goes to show your hidden agenda.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Repugnant Toad said:

And you have the cheek to call other fans posts patronising!!!!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Repugnant Toad said:

How about football being measured in recent events. Surely your most recent job is the best guide rather than what you did 8 years ago. Or are you living in the past?

Repugnant Toad said:
No, we don't applaud everything the club does, that's just an immature myth you like to trot out when the going gets tough for you in an adult discussion. Stick to the issue if you can, who is going to do a better job than McGhee? All those alternatives you put forward are totally unrealistic, or are managers with vastly inferior track records to McGhee - and in most cases both those things put together. Do you dispute that?

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Repugnant Toad said:
As I'm sure those departing members of your ever-dwindling "we" realise, those are very different, very much more meagre successes, grossly outweighed by the failures.
You wish to concentrate on Danny Wilson's successes rather than failures, yet you point blank refuse to apply the same yardstick to the current Brighton manager, even going so far as to refer to him as incompetent? How do those two rationales tally?

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
You know what, if I made a significant trading loss this year, I would expect my job to be under threat and to be replaced by someone who could make a better fist of it. If during the course of the year, my board could see I was failing, I would expect them to be talking to headhunters to seek out a replacement. Whether and how much I would be compensated for that would depend on my contract, and the cost of that would be balanced against what further damage I might do.

Substitute relegation for loss, and agents for headhunters, and that's where we are.

A future employer of mine would sure as hell look at my track record; who knows whether my arguments of having insufficient capital investment and crippling cashflow problems would have any impact?

The club will be swamped wth applicants as and when McGhee goes. Dick Knight has a strong recent record with managers, Martin Hinshelwood apart, and I would expect him to make a balanced choice on the future. He's proven adept as a businessman, and he brings the same approach to running the Albion. If the pros of removing Mcghee outweigh the cons in his eyes, I am sure he will act decisively.

Oh, and Danny Wilson - mixed record, and I think we can do better. As to who that might be, well, that depends on who's out of work at the time. Adams was unemployed when we picked him up.

:albion:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
In purely monetary terms McGhee has benefited the club - playoff finals brought in a lot of extra income and sale of players.

E

enigma

The Large One said:
You wish to concentrate on Danny Wilson's successes rather than failures, yet you point blank refuse to apply the same yardstick to the current Brighton manager, even going so far as to refer to him as incompetent? How do those two rationales tally?

Exactly. Objectivity.

Anyone that suggests Danny Wilson is a clown.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
acrossthepond said:
You know what, if I made a significant trading loss this year, I would expect my job to be under threat and to be replaced by someone who could make a better fist of it. If during the course of the year, my board could see I was failing, I would expect them to be talking to headhunters to seek out a replacement.

I understand your analogy but it misses one key factor - the definition of failure MUST be measured against expectation and expectations SHOULD be set giving full and due regard to the polictical social and economical envronment within which your boss knows you operate.

In the case of the Albion, given all the well discused issues the club is forced to oerate its business in, I suspect that being 4th from bottom was the EXPECTATION - we are currently under achiving by 7 points, which expressed as 2 wins and a draw is mathmatically about 2 weeks behind in a 40 week competition - this is not a "significant trading loss" IMHO

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Yorkie said:
In purely monetary terms McGhee has benefited the club - playoff finals brought in a lot of extra income and sale of players.

But will that carry through to next season with season ticket sales down? And low attendences if we dont get off to a flying start in league 1?

My guess is that the board have as good as decided he's going.

Why else have we failed to sign anybody on loan? I don't think it's that players won't come to the Albion, I think the board have just accepted that Mcghee has taken us down and they're not prepared to let him waste any more of our money.

The 100k bid we put in for Tom Brighton would be better put towards paying off Mcghee.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
sofa fella said:
But will that carry through to next season with season ticket sales down? And low attendences if we dont get off to a flying start in league 1?
Who says season ticket sales are down? Do you know this for a fact?

sofa fella said:
Guess again. When will anybody on here accept that McGhee is not going? Your moaning is wasted - absolutely wasted. Dick Knight doesn't give a single flying shit for the 'McGhee out' whingers. Nor should he. It really is a 24-carat no-brainer.

sofa fella said:
Why else have we failed to sign anybody on loan? I don't think it's that players won't come to the Albion, I think the board have just accepted that Mcghee has taken us down and they're not prepared to let him waste any more of our money.
Are you saying Dick Knight is a liar? In saying it's important we stay in this division, he is two-facedly planning our demise from this division? What part of 'we haven't been able to get anyone who is better than what we've got' passes you by? We can get players of equal ability into our current squad no problem, but better? They don't exactly grow on trees you know.

sofa fella said:
The 100k bid we put in for Tom Brighton would be better put towards paying off Mcghee.
No it wouldn't. To what end? Especially when he's in the middle of squad re-building. Personally, I am delighted we have a manager in Mark McGhee who is capable of bringing on our youth players, as well as a few very astute signings. Relegation is nowhere near good enough reason on its own to 'get rid of him'. You think that £100,00 is enough to pay off our manager? By the time he's finished suing the club's arse off, we MIGHT have a pot to piss in at the end.

Relegation does seem a very bitter pill for you to swallow.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The Large One said:
Who says season ticket sales are down? Do you know this for a fact?

Guess again. When will anybody on here accept that McGhee is not going? Your moaning is wasted - absolutely wasted. Dick Knight doesn't give a single flying shit for the 'McGhee out' whingers. Nor should he. It really is a 24-carat no-brainer.

Are you saying Dick Knight is a liar? In saying it's important we stay in this division, he is two-facedly planning our demise from this division? What part of 'we haven't been able to get anyone who is better than what we've got' passes you by? We can get players of equal ability into our current squad no problem, but better? They don't exactly grow on trees you know.

No it wouldn't. To what end? Especially when he's in the middle of squad re-building. Personally, I am delighted we have a manager in Mark McGhee who is capable of bringing on our youth players, as well as a few very astute signings. Relegation is nowhere near good enough reason on its own to 'get rid of him'. You think that £100,00 is enough to pay off our manager? By the time he's finished suing the club's arse off, we MIGHT have a pot to piss in at the end.

Relegation does seem a very bitter pill for you to swallow.

1) I know 4 season ticket holders that are not renewing next year becase of the shit thats been served this season. Fact

2) On the scr phone in Dick Knight not once said Mcghee will deffinatly be here next season if we are relegated. He just said it will be looked at depending which division we are in.Thats fact too.

3)I wolud'nt go as far as calling Dick Knight a liar, He's just a typical club Chairman being ecenomical with the truth. As for not finding a player better than we've got? complete bollocks. there's players out there & the only thing that talks with these players is money if your willing to spend it. More fact.

4)Mcghee's squad building is he? Where?

Ok we've given contracts to a lot of very good youth players and I applaud him on that. But just remember where Mcghee's squad building goes? McCammon, Jarrett, Reid, Turrienzo,Nicholas, Mghee got them in then bummed them out. Carolle & frutos are ok but hardly up to the battle we were allways gonna face this season. Flair players but not battlers.

Henderson & Mcshane are his only real pluses.

As for relegation? not a bitter pill fella, I accepted it long ago.

5) Can you step aside to give Ernest a chance to kiss Dick Knight's bum.

Last edited:

sofa fella said:

Honestly, do these wacky conspiracy theories cheer you up? I hope so :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here