Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mcghees Contract

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mcghees Contract

Repugnant Toad said:
You have now.
What is the point of your method of just picking the managers of teams currently at the top of their respective leagues? Even if they better than McGhee (a massive if as none have any record of achievement better than McGhee's), how are we going to resolve the contractual situations of any of these managers?

So you are going to blow a load of money on not only compensating McGhee, but also compensating these clubs?

What are the chances of you getting a grip on reality and joining an adult debate? We are a club whose finances teeter close to bankruptcy, yet you want us to spend upwards of £300k on a revenge fantasy against McGhee?

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

gerbil said:
Can't we have a whip round? Something like the 40 note fund but give the proceeds to DK to get rid of Magoo.

My 40 notes is waiting but DK, but he must use it for paying out his contract - actually if he is being paid more than that for the next 15months he's agent worked wonders!!!

Do it now Dick you know it makes Sense!!

:ohmy:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mcghees Contract

London Irish said:
What is the point of your method of just picking the managers of teams currently at the top of their respective leagues?

Firstly, that's clearly not the case; indeed, one of them is currently bottom. Feel free to read it through again.

Secondly, that's a quote from a thread a couple of months old, making your point slightly redundant.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mcghees Contract

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:

Managers come and go. FACT. If you remember Magoo wasnt first choice to replace Coppell anyway...it was Danny Wilson.

This does mean that DK will pay compensation to another team if he feels someone else can do a job.

After the hoo ha of Pardew being poached and then Madjeski saying he wouldn't poach a manager but then taking Coppell, the last thing DK would do is take another teams manager.
Dowie was in the running as he was on a game by game contract with Oldham but McGhee was free.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
McGhee wasn't sacked by Millwall. It was mutual consent.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
nobody's dupe said:
Quite right Yorkie. He was sacked by mutual consent.

That's not what I said :p :lolol:

Repugnant Toad said:
Firstly, that's clearly not the case; indeed, one of them is currently bottom. Feel free to read it through again.

Secondly, that's a quote from a thread a couple of months old, making your point slightly redundant.

Erm, 5 out of the 7 managers you listed currently have teams in promotion contention in their league. Why not just list all those managers who have teams in the top 6 - that's seems to be the gist of your pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey method of picking the next Albion manager, oh and Danny Wilson of course (even more bizarrely as McGhee got him the sack from his last job).

And I invite you to contribute an answer to the substantive point you completely ignored. Why do think a club in our financial situation can afford to chuck away NOT ONE BUT TWO LOTS OF COMPENSATION PACKAGES. You are marvellously free at giving away other people's money, aren't you?

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Rougvie said:
Did McGhee negotiate those deals personally?.

Clubs came in for Currie/Cullip so that was hardly rocket science.

Virgo and Harding were a product of Youth development. about the only thing that McGhee hasnt turned his hand to f***ing up yet (although I am sure he will get plenty of time to do that)

It is strange. I used to think that you were fairly intelligent judging by your posts. Yet in recent months you seem to have joined the rabid, irrational anti-McGhee crowd who completely ignore our situation and moan on constantly. This post has taken you to new depths.

Currie was brought in for nothing and sold for £250k six months later. Of course this had nothing to do with McGhee ???

Cullip was sold at exactly the right time and that was presumably a combined decision between board and manager.

Virgs and Harding were youth products. However, McGhee turned them from League 1 squad members/reserves to regular first teamers in the Championship and England under 21/Scotland B Internationals. This of course had no impact on the £2 million + we got for the two of them.

That post is another example of you criticising McGhee for everything and not accepting he has done anything right. Considering how many people supported him six months ago this is a ridiculous view. It might be sensible to consider that people who support McGhee (like me) would have more respect for your view if you accepted that McGhee has made good decisions in his time at the club.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mcghees Contract

London Irish said:
Erm, 5 out of the 7 managers you listed currently have teams in promotion contention in their league. Why not just list those all managers who have teams in the top 6 - that's seems to be the gist of your pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey method of picking the next Albion manager.

And I invite you to contribute an answer to the substantive point you completely ignored. Why do think a club in our financial situation can afford to chuck away NOT ONE BUT TWO LOTS OF COMPENSATION PACKAGES. You are marvellously free at giving away other people's money, aren't you?

They're the managers whose methods and or characters I particularly admire; no blind pinning, no donkeys. I'll concede some, especially Allen and Parkinson, are a bit "fantasy manager" - they're probably not going to come to us, but then again, neither are they totally out of our league. However, I think Calderwood, Simpson and Inglethorpe are both good enough and reasonably realistic.

As for the financial argument - it's a case of balancing the cost against the potential gain. Clearly, as a McGhee fan, you're not likely to feel B outweighs A. I do. I can't contribute anything much more specific than that without knowing the exact details of various contracts, and I don't suppose any of us are privy to that.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Repugnant Toad said:

Why not add Wenger and Ferguson to your list as they are almost as likely. Why not face the fact that we will almost certainly not pay compensation to a club for a manager while at Withdean. I would put good money on that.

It amazes me that anyone who has criticised McGhee would go for Danny Wilson. Everytime you say him, I have pointed out that he has a poor record since Barnsley (notice for some it is since not including) and is taking Milton Keynes down having kept them up against the odds last year. Now this is the same as McGhee at the level below.

All the others are near the top of their league and, even if we decided to waste money on compensation for a manager, they would not join us.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mcghees Contract

Repugnant Toad said:
They're the managers whose methods and or characters I particularly admire; no blind pinning, no donkeys. I'll concede some, especially Allen and Parkinson, are a bit "fantasy manager" - they're probably not going to come to us, but then again, neither are they totally out of our league. However, I think Calderwood, Simpson and Inglethorpe are both good enough and reasonably realistic.

As for the financial argument - it's a case of balancing the cost against the potential gain. Clearly, as a McGhee fan, you're not likely to feel B outweighs A. I do. I can't contribute anything much more specific than that without knowing the exact details of various contracts, and I don't suppose any of us are privy to that.

Inglethorpe has only ever managed at Conference level so is not experience enough in my opinion. Simpson is a Cumbrian and will not leave Carlisle for us. Calderwood may well be in our league next year and with more money to spend on transfers so why would Calderwood come to us.

Out of interest how do you support Danny Wilson and what would qualify him to be our manager?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Wilson would be my last choice from that list, but I rate him as a manager nonetheless. You may concentrate on his failures, but his considerable successes say more for me.

It says a lot for our esteemed manager when the main defence of him increasingly seems to be that we can't afford to sack him.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mcghees Contract

Finchley Seagull said:

It amazes me that anyone who has criticised McGhee would go for Danny Wilson. Everytime you say him, I have pointed out that he has a poor record since Barnsley (notice for some it is since not including) and is taking Milton Keynes down having kept them up against the odds last year. Now this is the same as McGhee at the level below.

I keep saying the same thing. People remember him as a good player but as a manager? No thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mcghees Contract

Repugnant Toad said:

You think it's worth up to £300k to get rid of McGhee and replace him with: OPTION ONE: Calderwood, a guy still trying to get his team out of League 2 and he's had a few goes at it now - he took over at Northampton BEFORE McGhee took over at Brighton and has acheived, what exactly?, and Northampton are financially well off for that league; and OPTION TWO, Inglethorpe, a rookie mid-table Conference manager who's acheived absolutely f*** all.

Really? You honestly believe it would be worth paying all that money for those two?

Allen and Parkinson are "fantasy" choices, eh? Good that you still have some grip on reality. Add also Tilson who is far more likely to be a Championship club manager next season than either Allen and Parkinson, and add also Simpson, he won't leave Carlisle for another League 1 club, particularly given how they stuck by him when he took them down to the Conference.

Oh, and then's there Danny Wilson - I'll grant you one thing, there's a good chance he might be a free agent before long :rolleyes:

You can see from the above that there is absolutely no logic to any of these names you are putting forward, can't you?

Repugnant Toad said:
You may concentrate on his failures, but his considerable successes say more for me.

And you've got it in one why we still support Mark McGhee as the best manager of our football club.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Repugnant Toad said:
Wilson would be my last choice from that list, but I rate him as a manager nonetheless. You may concentrate on his failures, but his considerable successes say more for me.

It says a lot for our esteemed manager when the main defence of him increasingly seems to be that we can't afford to sack him.

Funnily enough I tend to work on a manager's recent record (as in last 5 years) not what they did years ago. He worked wonders at Barnsley but since then he has taken Sheffield Wednesday down, failed to take Bristol City up in 4/5 years (McGhee took us up in one year with a weaker squad) and did well at MK Dons last year but is bottom this year. MK Dons are more able to compete financially in League 1 than we are in the Championship. Now where are his considerable successes or are they just from 7+ years ago.

The fact that you want to replace McGhee who did so well to take us up and keep us up is a sad reflection on you and the other 'fans' who share your views. I expected us to go down in our first Championship season so to go down after two years is better than expected. Yes, I do not want to go down but looking at what has happened to Gillingham and Rotherham this year (who changed their manager) I would rather keep McGhee than replace him.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
And you've got it in one why we still support Mark McGhee as the best manager of our football club.

As I'm sure those departing members of your ever-dwindling "we" realise, those are very different, very much more meagre successes, grossly outweighed by the failures.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here