Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee Set For Contract Talks With Players

the Realist said:
Oatway, Hart and Carpenter WILL be offered new deals - the question is how financially viable those deals will be to those players. We know they will have to take a drop, but will it be 10%, 25%, 50% ??

McCammon, Nicolas and McPhee WILL NOT be offered new deals. McGhee has made that clear by his failure to use those players. I feel sorry for Alexis but he probably needs to go back to Cyprus. McCammon might get a deal at Bristol City, while MCPhee will go non-league

Butters, Dodds and Mayo ARE THE QUESTIONABLE ONES Butters possibly deserves one, but his age might proclude it. Dodds is this years Kitson (funny how we always get relegated when we sign a big name who then goes awol all season) and realistically we cannot offer Doddsy a repeat - surely?. As for Mayo, it would be a tad cruel in the guy's testimonial year to let him go but, until very recently, McGhee hasn't been playing him, and his half-time subsitution against Wednesday does not bode well for his prospects. In summary, I think these three will also depart.

========= also ============

Kuipers, Molango, Jarrett, Breach, Cox, Robinson, Turienzo STILL HAVE CONTRACTS BUT... I suspect McGhee would like shot of most of them - definately the first three. Depends who we can offload them to ...

McShane, Noel-Williams and Chaigneau ARE NOT OURS but we would dearly love to have the first two under contract .... no chance in either case though (imho). As for Chaigneau, it's back to French provincial football for him

Frutos and Carole HAVE RELEGATION RELEASE CLAUSES according to BBC SCR that will allow them to walk on free transfers. Will they? I think Carole might because he ain't be getting a starting place recently. Not so sure about Fruity though

Lynch MAY BE SOLD To Pompey - according to Ian Hart. We are still a selling club and so anything over 500k would I think see the lad depart.

THIS LEAVES Reid, Hinshelwood, Hammond, Martin, El-Abd, Kazim-Richards, Loft, Henderson, Elphick, Gatting + the new guys who have signed from the Youth Team as the players who will DEFINITELY be here next season

I agree with 90 per cent of that. The few disagreements are:

McGhee has definitely spoken not too long ago of wanting Nicolas to stay and it's absurd to think he wants shot of Robinson after getting him to sign a renewed contract just this season. Also I don't think the French players will walk just because they haven't been in the 11 in recent games - people will take a longer view of their careers than just a few recent games. I also think we will fight for higher than £500k for Lynch given the struggle we put up over Harding.

Fragmented Badger said:
We paid some sort of fee for Carole, so to agree to losing him on a free would have been unbelievable.

It's regularly stated in the Argus that he's a free. What's your source?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
It's regularly stated in the Argus that he's a free. What's your source?
I believe he was one of the players who we payed a large agent's fee for rather than any kind of transfer fee. The official site has him down as an "undisclosed fee".

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I have heard that we turned down an offer to buy Carole during the Jan transfer window. It would be a pity if he now walked as he could cause havoc in some league 1 defences.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Hart, Oatway and Butters all should be offered new contracts, Did The Ginger Prince have to play a certain amount of games to get a contract, which i believe he reached

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Stevie_boy said:
Hart, Oatway and Butters all should be offered new contracts, Did The Ginger Prince have to play a certain amount of games to get a contract, which i believe he reached

Yes I recall seeing that on here. 1 more year for Mayo.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I do recall reading about Mayo on here, if that's true surely that must be the same situation for Carpenter aswel, possibly Butters too.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
and hart i think, but not 100% sure

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
We paid Carole and Fruitys agents a small fee - it was revealed when the 'agent fees' were confirmed, by Dick Knight i think

Fragmented Badger said:
Firstly, see Silent Bob's reply. Also, I am sure I read in the Argus that we had paid Monaco a small fee for Carole - and I think £25k was mentioned. Plus, as Bob says, out of the £250k we spent on agents (£150k on the Latino love beast), the other £100k was largely spent on the french pair. IMO, those two were not as cheap as many would think.

From the Argus; can't see anything in a search about a fee to Monaco:

French winger Sebastien Carole revealed today why he is happy to trade the Champions League with Monaco for the Championship with Albion.

The 22-year-old from the northern suburbs of Paris has been lured to the south coast by the prospect of regular first team football.

The Seagulls have signed Carole on a free transfer and awarded him a two-year contract following a successful week-long trial. The move brings to an end his eight-year association with Monaco.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
From the Argus; can't see anything in a search about a fee to Monaco:

French winger Sebastien Carole revealed today why he is happy to trade the Champions League with Monaco for the Championship with Albion.

The 22-year-old from the northern suburbs of Paris has been lured to the south coast by the prospect of regular first team football.

The Seagulls have signed Carole on a free transfer and awarded him a two-year contract following a successful week-long trial. The move brings to an end his eight-year association with Monaco.
http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/LatestDetail/0,,10433~698509,00.html

22-year-old winger Carole has joined Albion from French First Division club AS Monaco for an undisclosed fee, signing a two-year contract last night which will keep him at the club until the end of the 2006/07 season.

:shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having suffered McGhee's apparently random team selections and substitutions all season, I suspect, nay, KNOW, that NSC's collective reaction will be WHAAATTT?!?!?! :ohmy: when it's announced who's being renewed and who's not.

I trust Dick Knight will be applying equally harsh cuts to the manager's pay packet as the club will be inflicting on the players that stay? ???

Last edited:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Father Jack said:
This sounds weird but i think Carpenter getting a new deal is depandant on how well Doug Loft plays while Dean Hammond is suspended. If Loft does well and shows promise then he is a cheaper younger option? ... just a thought
I personally thought Doug Loft was the best player on the pitch in the reserves earlier in the week, though he still looks a bit lightweight.Certainly still very raw, but definately got some potential.

Silent Bob said:
http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/LatestDetail/0,,10433~698509,00.html

22-year-old winger Carole has joined Albion from French First Division club AS Monaco for an undisclosed fee, signing a two-year contract last night which will keep him at the club until the end of the 2006/07 season.

:shrug:

Yes, it's a mystery - but if you look on the Argus website there are numerous references to Carole's transfer being free that post-date the Seagulls World article by some months. It's possible that Andy Naylor could be simply repeating an error in all those articles, but you would have thought the club would have corrected after the third or fourth time?

It's scant consolation obviously but I've just spotted that we've saved £15k on Hendo's transfer from Villa by going down, it's now just £20k :(

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

London Irish said:
McGhee has definitely spoken not too long ago of wanting Nicolas to stay and it's absurd to think he wants shot of Robinson after getting him to sign a renewed contract just this season. Also I don't think the French players will walk just because they haven't been in the 11 in recent games - people will take a longer view of their careers than just a few recent games. I also think we will fight for higher than £500k for Lynch given the struggle we put up over Harding.

I would agree with that. Robinson definitely has talent but is short of confidence. And $500k for Lynch who is younger than Harding & an England youth international is too cheap.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Stumpy Tim said:
I would agree with that. Robinson definitely has talent but is short of confidence. And $500k for Lynch who is younger than Harding & an England youth international is too cheap.
Yep, you can add a million because it's the pompey SCUM after him. And another 500k just so that the press don't roget that old saggy face has paid yet another £2m for yet another player - meaning he can't bang on about being a miracle worker and all that "down to the bear bones" horseshit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here