Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee Set For Contract Talks With Players

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Brighton boss Mark McGhee already has in his mind which out-of-contract players he wants to keep for next season, following relegation.

McGhee told BBC Southern Counties Radio: "We want to keep the majority of the experienced players.

"But financially, we are now literally in a different league, so people will have to accept certain conditions.

"If they do, it can happen, if not we might not be able to have some of them here," he warned.

The long-serving Gary Hart is one of the players in question, and he added: "I've got back into the side and played in several different positions, so I'm hopeful of being offered something.

"It's been a roller-coaster and I'd like another ride next year!"

Personally I would like to see Gary Hart, Charlie Oatway and Guy Butters all get a new one-year deal.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Wozza said:
Gary Hart: "You're gonna have to go"

Charlie Oatway: "I agree"

Guy Butters: "Sorry Mark, looks like you're out"

End of talks.

Like what you have done there- its almost like Real Madrid

Raul Gonzalez Blanco: "We dont agree with your team selection."

Ronaldo: "I might be fat but i still no the way to the onion bag"

Beckham: "You're fired!"

Oh how i wish it were like that. . . .

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oatway was playing well before his terrible injury over Christmas. He's been there, done it and will be an important player to keep in the squad.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
keep Hart, Butters, Kuipers

Pay as you play Mayo, Dodd,Carpenter

Addios and thanks to the others

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
ohh, my mistake I thought he was out in june, looks like he is staying then

wait a minute the big yin does not like him though

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
OAtway has been offered a new contract I thought.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
This sounds weird but i think Carpenter getting a new deal is depandant on how well Doug Loft plays while Dean Hammond is suspended. If Loft does well and shows promise then he is a cheaper younger option? ... just a thought

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wozza said:
Gary Hart: "You're gonna have to go"

Charlie Oatway: "I agree"

Richard Carpenter: " I'll third that"

Guy Butters: "Sorry Mark, looks like you're out you jocko clown, wanna lift to the station ?"

End of talks.

well said

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
brightonfan_86 said:
That sounds to me like Chippy will be getting a deal aswell. I bloody hope not!!!

Why? If we were staying up, I'd be inclined to agree. We're stepping down an level though and I think he'll be alright a step down. I also think its very important to keep those players with plenty of promotion experience. If we're doing well we'll need those players who have seen it and done it to help them keep their feet on the ground and not bottle it.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think all the long serving players will be offered 1yr extensions but on reduced terms.

It is then up to them whether they want to sign or try and get a better deal elsewhere.

I for one feel that Butters, Carpenter and Hart would all generate interest from other league 1 clubs, who could probably pay more than us.

Last edited:

the Realist

Feb 5, 2006
Oatway, Hart and Carpenter WILL be offered new deals - the question is how financially viable those deals will be to those players. We know they will have to take a drop, but will it be 10%, 25%, 50% ??

McCammon, Nicolas and McPhee WILL NOT be offered new deals. McGhee has made that clear by his failure to use those players. I feel sorry for Alexis but he probably needs to go back to Cyprus. McCammon might get a deal at Bristol City, while MCPhee will go non-league

Butters, Dodds and Mayo ARE THE QUESTIONABLE ONES Butters possibly deserves one, but his age might proclude it. Dodds is this years Kitson (funny how we always get relegated when we sign a big name who then goes awol all season) and realistically we cannot offer Doddsy a repeat - surely?. As for Mayo, it would be a tad cruel in the guy's testimonial year to let him go but, until very recently, McGhee hasn't been playing him, and his half-time subsitution against Wednesday does not bode well for his prospects. In summary, I think these three will also depart.

========= also ============

Kuipers, Molango, Jarrett, Breach, Cox, Robinson, Turienzo STILL HAVE CONTRACTS BUT... I suspect McGhee would like shot of most of them - definately the first three. Depends who we can offload them to ...

McShane, Noel-Williams and Chaigneau ARE NOT OURS but we would dearly love to have the first two under contract .... no chance in either case though (imho). As for Chaigneau, it's back to French provincial football for him

Frutos and Carole HAVE RELEGATION RELEASE CLAUSES according to BBC SCR that will allow them to walk on free transfers. Will they? I think Carole might because he ain't be getting a starting place recently. Not so sure about Fruity though

Lynch MAY BE SOLD To Pompey - according to Ian Hart. We are still a selling club and so anything over 500k would I think see the lad depart.

THIS LEAVES Reid, Hinshelwood, Hammond, Martin, El-Abd, Kazim-Richards, Loft, Henderson, Elphick, Gatting + the new guys who have signed from the Youth Team as the players who will DEFINITELY be here next season

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Why not take the chance and get rid of all but 3?
Butters and Hart for sure then one more.

Its a chance to start a fresh - what if Promotion is achieved again? same problem ageing squad with little funds.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Mayo offers a bit of versitility in that he can play left back, centre midfield, centre back, or even sweeper which is something Butters can't offer. Carpenter has had a poor season and looked out of his depth in the championship. Could still do a job in league 1 though I think.

If releasing a few of the older players is something we have to do to allow new players to join and freshen things up then its something that will just have to happen. We simply can't afford to have players at the club just because they have been here for a few years already. They have to be better than what we could bring in if they went.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
the Realist said:
Oatway, Hart and Carpenter WILL be offered new deals - the question is how financially viable those deals will be to those players. We know they will have to take a drop, but will it be 10%, 25%, 50% ??

McCammon, Nicolas and McPhee WILL NOT be offered new deals. McGhee has made that clear by his failure to use those players. I feel sorry for Alexis but he probably needs to go back to Cyprus. McCammon might get a deal at Bristol City, while MCPhee will go non-league

Butters, Dodds and Mayo ARE THE QUESTIONABLE ONES Butters possibly deserves one, but his age might proclude it. Dodds is this years Kitson (funny how we always get relegated when we sign a big name who then goes awol all season) and realistically we cannot offer Doddsy a repeat - surely?. As for Mayo, it would be a tad cruel in the guy's testimonial year to let him go but, until very recently, McGhee hasn't been playing him, and his half-time subsitution against Wednesday does not bode well for his prospects. In summary, I think these three will also depart.

========= also ============

Kuipers, Molango, Jarrett, Breach, Cox, Robinson, Turienzo STILL HAVE CONTRACTS BUT... I suspect McGhee would like shot of most of them - definately the first three. Depends who we can offload them to ...

McShane, Noel-Williams and Chaigneau ARE NOT OURS but we would dearly love to have the first two under contract .... no chance in either case though (imho). As for Chaigneau, it's back to French provincial football for him

Frutos and Carole HAVE RELEGATION RELEASE CLAUSES according to BBC SCR that will allow them to walk on free transfers. Will they? I think Carole might because he ain't be getting a starting place recently. Not so sure about Fruity though

Lynch MAY BE SOLD To Pompey - according to Ian Hart. We are still a selling club and so anything over 500k would I think see the lad depart.

THIS LEAVES Reid, Hinshelwood, Hammond, Martin, El-Abd, Kazim-Richards, Loft, Henderson, Elphick, Gatting + the new guys who have signed from the Youth Team as the players who will DEFINITELY be here next season

WTF?! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here