Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee non believers post here

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
A managers ability is based on results and MMs are crap to be polite about it and have been crap for 2 years overall in my opinion.
He wasted a great big lump of our Playing budget on a great big Argie lump who he signed after awatching a dodgy DVD and 45 mins of seeing him play.

Sorry the man has had his time,now F**K OFF!

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Charlies Shinpad said:
A managers ability is based on results and MMs are crap to be polite about it and have been crap for 2 years overall in my opinion.
He wasted a great big lump of our Playing budget on a great big Argie lump who he signed after awatching a dodgy DVD and 45 mins of seeing him play.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I like this, it is a proper debate rather than just McGhee should go, which is what most people post. The one thing you have not answered is the replacement part and there is certainly no point in sacking a manager unless you can get someone in to do a better job. My belief is there is no one available who could and that is why you cannot answer this.

1) I think there has been arguments between McGhee and individuals but Adams did that with players and the morale was not affected. I believe that heads do drop when you are struggling it is not low morale, it is just a fact of life. However, a win can change all that, especially beating Leicester. I still believe that this myth has developed about low morale and there is no proof that it is true.

2) Molango I think we can discount as his wages are very low. Dodd seems to have been left off this list. So I will concentrate on McCammon and Turienzo. McCammon has not been great but he was the best player we could get at the time (I imagine) and he has always tried hard and in some games looked effective. If he had not had injuries while here, I believe we would have seen more from him. Turienzo is still not fit but has looked poor when playing. However, you have to take gambles and you cannot get proven Championship strikers for the money that we have. McGhee has to gamble. His other gambles, both loan and permanent, have paid off e.g. Blayney, Henderson, McShane, Carole, Frutos, Currie, Reid.

3) Virgo might as well have been McGhee's signing. Coppell discounted him, along with Butters, after one game. McGhee brought him into the team and clearly saw elements of his game that would make a good striker. As for your previous strikers, I would not regard Steele and Knight are not Championship quality, which is very different to League 1/2 quality. Zamora may not have made an immediate impact if stuck straight into a Championship side and when we signed Small and Byrne we were able to compete with other teams in our division on a more even level. Now we are at the bottom of the list of Championship sides that players want to sign for due to our ground and finances.

4 and 5) You have not come up with an alternative to McGhee so will leave that aside. For 5, we have to agree to disagree as there is no way of knowing whether McGhee got lucky with Lynch. However, he obviously saw something in Lynch's game as he was on the bench for the Sheff Utd home game over a year before.

6) I am not saying that McGhee is perfect but Hinsh did perfectly well at right midfield and we won two in a row with him there. Hart and Carole played very well up front against Leeds. He has to try these things with a small squad.

7) Sorry, I did not realise you meant Leon Knight. He was sold because he was a lazy player and disruptive influence. No team needs that. He scored 9 goals in a year and a half, hardly prolific for your 'main striker'. I also believe that Carole, CKR and Frutos are more skillful than Knight.

8) How many sets of fans have ever cheered their team off after a boring 0-0 draw?

9) He definitely has Henderson as his number one keeper so that is a strange example. With our strikers he is trying to chop and change to find the right partnership. I believe it is CKR and Hart but if you asked all Albion fans then they would probably come up with numerous partnerships.

10) Finally, he rarely has the players available to be consistent. Give him a chance. Even if we go down, we should keep McGhee as he will have the best chance of taking us back up. It is depressing how fickle football fans are.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Charlies Shinpad said:

Why is it that a good debate about McGhee is ruined by moronic crap like this. Who would you replace him with in your infinite wisdom?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Finchley Seagull said:
Why is it that a good debate about McGhee is ruined by moronic crap like this. Who would you replace him with in your infinite wisdom?

Put it this way anybody who doesnt do there job to the standard they are being paid for doesnt deserve to be in it in the first place,from Dustman to Football Manager.

As for a replacement,if I remember rightly,when we were bottom of Div 3 in 1997/98 and all those points adrift we still had over 90 applications for the position of manger.

And how is it moronic crap when all I have stated is a few facts??

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Uncle Buck said:
Coppell brought Butters back into the side, not McGhee. When McGhee arrived Butters had been playing for the best part of 2 months.

This is true but Coppell still had no faith in Butters and only played him because he had to. McGhee has put faith in him and in interviews Butters has credited McGhee with turning his Brighton career around.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Finchley Seagull said:
This is true but Coppell still had no faith in Butters and only played him because he had to. McGhee has put faith in him and in interviews Butters has credited McGhee with turning his Brighton career around.

I think you are playing with history there.

Coppell brought Butters back for the home game with Luton (August Bank Holiday). Blackwell was out injured, Virgo was out of favour and Cullip had picked up a knock at Barnsley. So Butters and Hinshlewood played in central defence. On the back of the next few games, Butters kept his place and when Cullip came back, it was Hinshlewood who lost his place at centre back and went to right back. When McGhee arrived, Butters had been a fixture in the team since August.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Charlies Shinpad said:

I cannot disagree with that honest appraisal

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Charlies Shinpad said:

If you want I will debate with your post but I regard telling the man to F off and calling Turienzo 'a great big Argie lump' as pointless. What does it achieve?

Anyway how has McGhee been crap for 2 years. Were you hoping for the play offs last season? Were you not celebrating when we stayed up last year. As for this year:

1) We are not down yet. A win on Saturday and suddenly most of the people on here will say how wonderful McGhee is.

2) I am getting bored of the Turienzo comments. All managers make mistakes and it seems to be the only argument from the anti-McGhee crowd.

3) Did you expect us to reach the play offs this season or even improve on last year. We sold £2 million worth of players in the summer and only bought £250,000 worth. Why should we not be relegated in that situation.

4) How is achieving the aims of most sane supporters for your first two seasons, and in with a chance in the third, crap?

5) Finally, you may get 90+ applicants but how many of them would do a be better job than McGhee. My guess, none.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Finchley Seagull said:
If you want I will debate with your post but I regard telling the man to F off and calling Turienzo 'a great big Argie lump' as pointless. What does it achieve?

Anyway how has McGhee been crap for 2 years. Were you hoping for the play offs last season? Were you not celebrating when we stayed up last year. As for this year:

1) We are not down yet. A win on Saturday and suddenly most of the people on here will say how wonderful McGhee is.

2) I am getting bored of the Turienzo comments. All managers make mistakes and it seems to be the only argument from the anti-McGhee crowd.

3) Did you expect us to reach the play offs this season or even improve on last year. We sold £2 million worth of players in the summer and only bought £250,000 worth. Why should we not be relegated in that situation.

4) How is achieving the aims of most sane supporters for your first two seasons, and in with a chance in the third, crap?

5) Finally, you may get 90+ applicants but how many of them would do a be better job than McGhee. My guess, none.

Isnt the title of this thread "McGhee Non believers post here"?

If my reading isnt what it used to be I apologise, but I believe you are ranting and raving on the wrong thread here,so I suggest you f*** Off to a "I Love Mark McGhee thread"

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Finchley Seagull said:

Honestly do you believe that no one could've done a better job?
What about 250,000 for CKR, who apparently is one for the future? Well thats not good enough, I want a striker for now.

I also think him going on about our strikers being not good enough, is hardly going to give them confidence. I think CKR and Leon could have formed a good partnership, but he was/is changing the strike force every bloody week. Its appalling management.

Lets take a punt on an up and coming manager, who might be able to motivate the team, instead of pointing out the weaknesses.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
n1 gull said:

I also think him going on about our strikers being not good enough, is hardly going to give them confidence. I think CKR and Leon could have formed a good partnership, but he was/is changing the strike force every bloody week. Its appalling management.

Yes it is. And now he is panicking by chopping and changing every week.

At the beginning of the season (when results dont matter according to LI) was the time to experiment or give a decent run of games to a strike pairing. Any strike pairing.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Uncle Buck said:
I think you are playing with history there.

Coppell brought Butters back for the home game with Luton (August Bank Holiday). Blackwell was out injured, Virgo was out of favour and Cullip had picked up a knock at Barnsley. So Butters and Hinshlewood played in central defence. On the back of the next few games, Butters kept his place and when Cullip came back, it was Hinshlewood who lost his place at centre back and went to right back. When McGhee arrived, Butters had been a fixture in the team since August.
that is spot on yer butters has given credit to mcghee but he would thats the bloke who's currently picking the team but after being forced to play tank against luton cos danny among others was injured he kept his place on merit and by the time coppell had left tank hasd scored a couple of goals and was looking an important part of a team that was top of the league

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Finchley Seagull said:
I like this, it is a proper debate rather than just McGhee should go, which is what most people post. The one thing you have not answered is the replacement part and there is certainly no point in sacking a manager unless you can get someone in to do a better job. My belief is there is no one available who could and that is why you cannot answer this.

Answers:

Parkinson, Allen, Simpson, Calderwood would be top of my list, then perhaps people like Tilson, Wilson, Inglethorpe. Not necessarily all available, but the kind of people I feel we should be looking at.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Charlies Shinpad said:
Isnt the title of this thread "McGhee Non believers post here"?

If my reading isnt what it used to be I apologise, but I believe you are ranting and raving on the wrong thread here,so I suggest you f*** Off to a "I Love Mark McGhee thread"

Funny but people seem to attack Mark McGhee on threads where it clearly says 'support McGhee'. Also do you not like a debate? Generally the reason for saying this sort of thing is that you have run out of arguments. You have not answered any of my points.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Repugnant Toad said:
Answers:

Parkinson, Allen, Simpson, Calderwood would be top of my list, then perhaps people like Tilson, Wilson, Inglethorpe. Not necessarily all available, but the kind of people I feel we should be looking at.

Good options but:
Parkinson - Why would he quit Colchester (who are on the up) for us. Especially when we have fickle fans who will want you out if we do not stay up.

Allen - Again why would he quit Brentford when they are on the up?

Simpson - A Cumbrian and again why would he leave Carlisle now.

Calderwood - Why would he leave Northampton when they are near the top of the league.

Tilson - Why would he quit Southend when they are on the up?

Wilson - His record since Barnsley is distinctly average. He did badly at Wednesday, failed to take Bristol City up and is now taking Milton Keynes down (which is what you are complaining about McGhee doing).

Inglethorpe - Doing well at Exeter but three divisions is a big jump.

These managers are all currently in jobs so would require compensation payments. When did we last get a manager who was manager at another club? All but Wilson are also heading for promotion so their clubs, and they, would be reluctant to leave, especially with Falmer still 2 and a half years away. The lack of quality managers who are currently out of work is clear.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Finchley Seagull said:
Wilson - His record since Barnsley is distinctly average. He did badly at Wednesday, failed to take Bristol City up and is now taking Milton Keynes down (which is what you are complaining about McGhee doing).

f*** me.

If getting Barnsley promoted to the Premiership for the only time in their history is distinctly average, what is a good record.

Stop rewriting the facts.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Uncle Buck said:
f*** me.

If getting Barnsley promoted to the Premiership for the only time in their history is distinctly average, what is a good record.

Stop rewriting the facts.

Can you not read or do you just choose not to? I wrote since Barnsley (not at Barnsley). If you are going on the past then McGhee got Reading to what will, only this season, be overtaken as their highest position ever.

Also, people on here who say McGhee inherited a great squad from Coppell, who exactly did Coppell add to the squad? Knight and Roberts as Blackwell, Rodger etc never played under McGhee due to injury. Coppell had short term transfers. McGhee is building long term.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Finchley Seagull said:
Can you not read or do you just choose not to? I wrote since Barnsley (not at Barnsley). If you are going on the past then McGhee got Reading to what will, only this season, be overtaken as their highest position ever.

Also, people on here who say McGhee inherited a great squad from Coppell, who exactly did Coppell add to the squad? Knight and Roberts as Blackwell, Rodger etc never played under McGhee due to injury. Coppell had short term transfers. McGhee is building long term.

So much long term building that he has shipped out some of our more talented players and we are in the bottom 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here