Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee in or out?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
OUT

His reaction to the equaliser in a game we needed to win - took off Frutos, switched Hart to the left (!), brought on El Abd (a central defender) on the right side of midfield and left Carole on the bench. That is CLUELESS.

We are going to finish bottom.

I'd love to see Holloway or Rosenior get the job - anyone other than McGoo for me.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Jimmy Saville said:
OUT

His reaction to the equaliser in a game we needed to win - took off Frutos, switched Hart to the left (!), brought on El Abd (a central defender) on the right side of midfield and left Carole on the bench. That is CLUELESS.

I'd love to see Holloway or Rosenior get the job - anyone other than McGoo for me.

But his tactics(or lack of them) are down to withdean are they not?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
What was the point of a tricky winger yesterday? Carole would have got about 3 yards before getting stuck in the mud.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Jimmy Saville said:
OUT

Hardley clueless. We had a lot of problems down the left in the first half with Frutos leaving Lynch exposed. It looked to me like he wanted to sure things up by putting Hart there to plug that gap and El-Abd on the right. Carole would have struggled big time on that pitch! El-Abd played in midfield loads as a youngsters and has played right back loads so he can play right midfield if he needs too. The sub was being lined up before the equaliser so it wasnt a reaction but a tactical decision he'd already made. We were more solid down the left aftwards so it appeared to work.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Turkey said:
Hardley clueless. We had a lot of problems down the left in the first half with Frutos leaving Lynch exposed. It looked to me like he wanted to sure things up by putting Hart there to plug that gap and El-Abd on the right. Carole would have struggled big time on that pitch! El-Abd played in midfield loads as a youngsters and has played right back loads so he can play right midfield if he needs too. The sub was being lined up before the equaliser so it wasnt a reaction but a tactical decision he'd already made. We were more solid down the left aftwards so it appeared to work.

But what is the point in being more solid when Millwall, Crewe and Wednesday were winning? WE NEEDED TO WIN THE GAME. Being solid and holding on for a draw was a waste of time.
How does bringing on a centre half on the right wing contribute anything to winning the game?

If he wanted us to be more solid he could have brought El Abd on in place of Lynch and had Hinsh and El Abd as full backs. At least we'd have had Frutos and Hart on the pitch to create.

He could also have gambled further by taking off Lynch and playing three at the back (we had three centre halves on the pitch) and stuck on Carole or Gatting.

Take off your McGoo rose tinited spectacles and face up to the fact that he f*cked up yet again.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Jimmy Saville said:
But what is the point in being more solid when Millwall, Crewe and Wednesday were winning? WE NEEDED TO WIN THE GAME. Being solid and holding on for a draw was a waste of time.
How does bringing on a centre half on the right wing contribute anything to winning the game?

If he wanted us to be more solid he could have brought El Abd on in place of Lynch and had Hinsh and El Abd as full backs. At least we'd have had Frutos and Hart on the pitch to create.

He could also have gambled further by taking off Lynch and playing three at the back (we had three centre halves on the pitch) and stuck on Carole or Gatting.

Take off your McGoo rose tinited spectacles and face up to the fact that he f*cked up yet again.

I was in favour of keeping Frutos on when the negative folk around me were saying get him off we're getting slaughtered down the left. When El-Abd was getting ready to come on we were winning. The equaliser came down our left. If he'd kept Frutos on maybe we would have lost. I don't think Lynch was the problem. Frutos didn't provide enough cover. I wanted him on because I thought that was a sacrifice worth making. Although at 1-0 up it would have been good to sure things up and at 1-1 we knew the left flank was costing us. I can understand the thinking behind it - hence it wasn't, imo, clueless. I don't think Carole or Gatting would have changed that game. Carole wouldn't have got anywhere in that mud and Gatting has shown he can hold the ball up but NW was doing that well. Rose tinted? Well I tell ya what. Its not as black and white as you make it out to be.

Jimmy Saville said:
switched Hart to the left (!)
Where was Hart playing when he almost won us the game but the ball went on the woodwork, eh? I think you'll find he was playing on the left.

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Turkey said:
I was in favour of keeping Frutos on when the negative folk around me were saying get him off we're getting slaughtered down the left. When El-Abd was getting ready to come on we were winning. The equaliser came down our left. If he'd kept Frutos on maybe we would have lost. I don't think Lynch was the problem. Frutos didn't provide enough cover. I wanted him on because I thought that was a sacrifice worth making. Although at 1-0 up it would have been good to sure things up and at 1-1 we knew the left flank was costing us. I can understand the thinking behind it - hence it wasn't, imo, clueless. I don't think Carole or Gatting would have changed that game. Carole wouldn't have got anywhere in that mud and Gatting has shown he can hold the ball up but NW was doing that well. Rose tinted? Well I tell ya what. Its not as black and white as you make it out to be.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I think it's somewhat similar to the Erikson plan B scenario in the 2002 world cup (although Luton are not Brazil!). We had to get a goal and the manger seemed incapable of doing anything to help us get one, in fact, taking off Frutos may have reduced our chances of doing so.

I totally agree that at 1-0 it was the RIGHT substitution, but at 1-1 it was preposterous. We had to win the game.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
London Irish said:
Where was Hart playing when he almost won us the game but the ball went on the woodwork, eh? I think you'll find he was playing on the left.

and how did El Abd contribute to our chances of winning the game?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Voroshilov said:
What was the point of a tricky winger yesterday? Carole would have got about 3 yards before getting stuck in the mud.
I agree, but El-Abd? Come on! It would've made more sense leaving Frutos on. Even Dodd would've been a more sensible choice, or Reid/Mayo/Nicolas who were up in the stands.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have any of you actually been swayed in your opinion by these weekly in /out discussions?

IN btw

Last edited:

Jimmy Saville said:
and how did El Abd contribute to our chances of winning the game?

Because Luton were having a lot of success down the flanks, particularly through the tricky Edwards. We had to shut off that means of them hurting us. Winning games is also about stopping the other side playing. In the terrible conditions, solid tackling were at a premium and that's what El Abd gave us. Hart then almost did win the game for us - from the left :wave:

Be clear now what people are saying about McGhee's subs. We are not saying they were definitely right or the best thing to do, we have no way of definitely knowing that. But they were clearly logical and it's utterly facile for you to pretend otherwise.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
What really annoys me about the situation is that if you look at Leicester,they changed their manager when they were in the bottom three at Christmas and look at them now!Are they going down?I know people will say that it's not the best job in the world and no-one would want it but McGhee either gets it completely right when he makes a sub(yet to see this season)or he gets it horribly wrong.McGhee's record speaks for itself,6 wins in something like 60 games?It's not good enough.If we sack him now,we could get another manager in to experiment with players at this level and then he'll know what to do for League 1.None the less,only the real fans will stick with the club,and I will be one of them,so please,everyone else KEEP THE FAITH

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here