Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee hunting for striker

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't Carole and Frutos have a get out clause now that we are relegated and do not need to turn up for pre-season if they can get fixed up elsewhere or just don't fancy playing in a cloggers league???

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Icy Gull said:
Don't Carole and Frutos have a get out clause now that we are relegated and do not need to turn up for pre-season if they can get fixed up elsewhere or just don't fancy playing in a cloggers league???

Thats the first ive heard of that.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, for what it's worth, I can see us making the play-off's if we only sign a target man and a good central midfielder... sorry to swim against the tide of pessimism, but that is how I see it... :)

Oh no!... I (almost) agree with MM!... :)

Gottta say that his "make do" quote is yet another example of a stupid public statement... no doubt LI will see it as inspirational!... :dunce:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh, and I think we can play Carole AND Frutos at the same time... they will rip league 1 defences to shreds, IMHO... why should we not use our better footballing talent?... they will give us an edge most other teams in league 1 won't have...

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I believe we have a better squad than last time we were in this league. A centre forward capable of 15-20 and we will be in or around the play offs.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Carole, Frutus, CKR, Lynch, Hinsh and El-Abd. Hopefully with Wilkins involved we will see some fluent attacking play.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Nobody ever mentions Reid, I think in L1 he will be quality in Midfield either in the centre or right side.

An experienced Striker in my op is the most improtant target for the Summer.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Hadlee said:
Nobody ever mentions Reid, I think in L1 he will be quality in Midfield either in the centre or right side.

An experienced Striker in my op is the most improtant target for the Summer.

I had forgotten about him for a moment! Yes, he will be quality next year.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: McGhee hunting for striker

Easy 10 said:
Hope you're right squire.
I'd be happy enough if we bumbled along in midtable with at least a chance of making the playoffs. Who knows, we may even get some decent loan signings this time round to boost the squad at just the right time.

But I'm living more in hope than expectation...

I hope I am Guv'nor.

I am trying to put a positive spin on things. I think we are under estimating our bouncebackability (the dreaded word).

I think there is still some bitterness about the 5-1 capitulation at the end of the season, yet it was clear that the boys were down from relegation and it was the end of a long season. I think McGhee said it didn't matter so as not to completely destroy any confidence the team had left.

We have some up and coming talents and people that are desperate to prove themselves. We competed for half a season and got some decent results along the way. The future is bright. The future is blue and white!

:clap2:

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
The future is SKINT. You can only get away with playing beyond your finances for a year or two, sooner or later you return to where your money position dictates.

Whilst the axes of evil (such as LDC and the twattish 'peace campaigner') continue to circulate the club and destroy it, then money will keep being diverted from the playing budget.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Chopper West said:
The future is SKINT. You can only get away with playing beyond your finances for a year or two, sooner or later you return to where your money position dictates.

Whilst the axes of evil (such as LDC and the twattish 'peace campaigner') continue to circulate the club and destroy it, then money will keep being diverted from the playing budget.

Then surely we should have been in the conference 6 or 7 years ago? We are still playing well above our budget and teams like Crewe prove that it can be done.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
DAMANCLAY said:
Then surely we should have been in the conference 6 or 7 years ago? We are still playing well above our budget and teams like Crewe prove that it can be done.

I quite agree. Crewe have done very well for so long, particularly well persisting with Gradi and getting in the confort zone.

Although Crewe are very similar to Brighton, they have had their academy (of worth for longer) and they do not rent their stadium. We can survive and will survive. We just need some decent financial backing to come in WHEN we get our stadium. More likely to get some team investment, once the stadium plans are set in stone. Noone in their right mind would be willing to invest money at this stage, unless they are huge fans....or very rich.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I don't mind saying I am pissed off before the season starts. The releasing of Nicolas, the inability to sign any players, the resigning of players who are past it. I think we will finish mid table which is fine but good help us for the future.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:

League 1 is NOT above our budget, IMHO...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hadlee said:
I like him but I don't see how he's going to improve massively. He's a bit one paced for me and at times the game can pass him by. He'll have good games and technically he's a good player though.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Les Biehn said:
I don't mind saying I am pissed off before the season starts. The releasing of Nicolas, the inability to sign any players, the resigning of players who are past it. I think we will finish mid table which is fine but good help us for the future.

maybe true, we may finish mid-table but i think a lot of supporters would settle for that.......for now.....We need a period of stability and to see the team win a few games would re-ignite a little enthusiasm. People forget what traumas the club has been through in the past few years ...........this does nothing to attract new players........decent ones that is that we can afford that is.Blame the manager for that at your peril because very few managers could attract decent players to the club in its present state. Getting players like Mcshane was a bonus and MM does have the ability to pull the occasional rabbit out of the hat ( Mcshane is a very skilful rabbit:lolol: )

So i am looking forward to the new season if only to see if the youngsters can fulfill their potential.........................C'MON

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
El Presidente said:
McGhee has ruled out renewing his interest in Tom Brighton, the young forward he tried to buy from Clyde last season.
Why is this? From this it sounds as if we haven't attempted to sign him, what has changed since January that means a player we bid six figures for is now not worth pursuing on a free. ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here