Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee hoping to sign McShane

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Albion manager Mark McGhee has not given up hope of signing Paul McShane permanently.

McGhee believes the Seagulls could still land the on-loan Manchester United centre half, irrespective of what division they are playing in next season.

Albion extended his loan in January for the rest of the campaign and McGhee said: "He won't necessarily be going back to Manchester United. I know we still have ambitions to keep him.

"He is part of a nice group of young players and we are going to need 20, not 14."

McShane has been an inspirational figure in the fight for Championship survival since his temporary move from Old Trafford at the start of the season.

He revealed to The Argus on Saturday that he has been playing with a hernia throughout his time with the Seagulls and is putting off surgery until the summer.

McGhee, impressed by both McShane's performances and attitude, does not think relegation to League One would dash Albion's chances of persuading the 20-year-old Republic of Ireland prospect to stay for good.

"I think it will be important for him to be where he is wanted and where he can see a longer term future," McGhee said.

"The longer term future is that in three years' time there will be a new stadium. Regardless of the circumstances, I am still hoping he has seen enough to know this is a good place to be."

McShane is available for Saturday's visit by Preston after serving a two-match suspension.

Although this would be great news...anyone actually see it happening ??

However if we do go down and we sign him...be a massive show of intention from McGhee and the board

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It would be fantastic to keep him but unfortunately I suspect he will get a far better offer from another club if available.

One in the M4 corridor springs to mind :angry: :angry:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Let's hope so. We could have a nice little team in a couple of years time, when a few more of the kids come through.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Beach Hut said:
It would be fantastic to keep him but unfortunately I suspect he will get a far better offer from another club if available.

One in the M4 corridor springs to mind :angry: :angry:

I doubt Reading would be interested...not quite sure he is prem league yet

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
blockhseagull said:
I doubt Reading would be interested...not quite sure he is prem league yet

OK but any club with a ground and a better wage structure would surely stand a better chance than us - there are quite a few of them around as well.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Beach Hut said:
OK but any club with a ground and a better wage structure would surely stand a better chance than us - there are quite a few of them around as well.

Well this is very very true, i suppose our only chance is the hope that he likes being here... and would like to live and play in Brighton.

It is a long shot...but would be great news.

However so far it seems to be only coming from McGhee...maybe this is the start of his attempt to sign him by making him feel important by praising him in the press ( i mean he doesn't do that often does he )

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
The fact is McShane may love it here but he is a United player so its not his choice, if someone puts in a better offer than us Man U have the final say

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
said it before and say it again , McShane is a good young player but would not be overly bothered if we don't get him permantly

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Hadlee said:
The fact is McShane may love it here but he is a United player so its not his choice, if someone puts in a better offer than us Man U have the final say

he is out of contract in summer

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Dougal said:
said it before and say it again , McShane is a good young player but would not be overly bothered if we don't get him permantly

I would love him to stay, however it is the one area of the pitch we do have some good players, Butters, Hinsh, El-Abd.

But i think if Guy calls it a day or any of them pick up an injury we need strength in depth and i think McShane is a quality player

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
KinkyNormanBaker said:
he is out of contract in summer

No that puts a different slant on things.

Clearly United has not come in with an offer yet so hope springs eternal.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No as he is out of contract - he can sign for whoever he wants to
,the club will then have to pay utd after a hearing.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
KinkyNormanBaker said:
No as he is out of contract - he can sign for whoever he wants to.

Because of his age we must still agree a fee with Man Utd.... another club could agree a higher compensation package than us.....if we match the highest bid it's upto him

Man utd can reject offers, rather like we did with Dan Harding

Leeds took the risk of paying whatever a tribunal set...not sure we can take that risk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here