Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee hoping to sign McShane

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
blockhseagull said:
I would love him to stay, however it is the one area of the pitch we do have some good players, Butters, Hinsh, El-Abd.

But i think if Guy calls it a day or any of them pick up an injury we need strength in depth and i think McShane is a quality player

Butters is not got many seasons left in him, so out of your list that leaves 2, best have no injuries then

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
blockhseagull said:
Because of his age we must still agree a fee with Man Utd.... another club could agree a higher compensation package than us.....if we match the highest bid it's upto him

Man utd can reject offers, rather like we did with Dan Harding

Leeds took the risk of paying whatever a tribunal set...not sure we can take that risk

Yes but we can take that risk so we do not have to agree a fee with Man Utd. I agree it would be a risk but as long as we are able to pay the tribunal fee we do not have to agree a fee with them. The fee should not be too high anyway as he has hardly played for Man Utd.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Finchley Seagull said:
Yes but we can take that risk so we do not have to agree a fee with Man Utd. I agree it would be a risk but as long as we are able to pay the tribunal fee we do not have to agree a fee with them. The fee should not be too high anyway as he has hardly played for Man Utd.

Yeah but he is a current U21 international and in my opinion better than Dan Harding !!!

Look how much Leeds had to pay for him.

I know Dan was a first team regular...but so is McShane for us and that will be taken into account

DK will not risk a tribunal...we wouldn't risk one for Hunt when Coppell wanted him !!!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
blockhseagull said:
Yeah but he is a current U21 international and in my opinion better than Dan Harding !!!

I know Dan was a first team regular...but so is McShane for us and that will be taken into account

DK will not risk a tribunal...we wouldn't risk one for Hunt when Coppell wanted him !!!

But I thought that the debate is whether we could rather than we will. Theoretically, we could not agree a fee with Man Utd, agree terms with McShane and then let them take it to tribunal.

I don't agree with the Harding part. It is generally based on the importance of a player to the club and the fact that Harding would have played a major role in our future whereas McShane probably will not at Man Utd would be important.

The other option is that Man Utd decide to keep him and we can loan him again next season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Uncle Buck said:
We would not have to agree a fee with Utd.

If he is out of contract, the player can choose where he wants to go. We can make an offer to Utd, but if they reject that, the package would then be settled by a tribunal.

Yeah but DK won't take that risk

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
blockhseagull said:

I doubt he is worth as much as Harding. Simply because Harding was English and left footed and half competant meant that his value was going to be over inflated, as there is a distinct lack of English left footed players.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Finchley Seagull said:
But I thought that the debate is whether we could rather than we will. Theoretically, we could not agree a fee with Man Utd, agree terms with McShane and then let them take it to tribunal.

I don't agree with the Harding part. It is generally based on the importance of a player to the club and the fact that Harding would have played a major role in our future whereas McShane probably will not at Man Utd would be important.

The other option is that Man Utd decide to keep him and we can loan him again next season.

It's based on a whole load of things and i don't believe we would get him that cheap.... also once you go to tribunal you are bound to pay that price... you can't say no thats too much and walk away

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
blockhseagull said:
It's based on a whole load of things and i don't believe we would get him that cheap.... also once you go to tribunal you are bound to pay that price... you can't say no thats too much and walk away

But he has never turned out for Utd. Ok he has played for the Irish U21 side, however he is a centre back and unlike the left back position there are rather a lot of half decent young centre backs around, so the demand for that position is less.

I suspect (am guessing) that it would turn out to be one of those deals with a lowish up front fee, but lots of add ons, such as appearances, caps and sell on.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Uncle Buck said:
But he has never turned out for Utd. Ok he has played for the Irish U21 side, however he is a centre back and unlike the left back position there are rather a lot of half decent young centre backs around, so the demand for that position is less.

I suspect (am guessing) that it would turn out to be one of those deals with a lowish up front fee, but lots of add ons, such as appearances, caps and sell on.

I'd imagine you are right, most of these tribunals are.... all i mean it's a hell of a risk isn't it...you can't for sure say how much we will get caught for

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
blockhseagull said:
I'd imagine you are right, most of these tribunals are.... all i mean it's a hell of a risk isn't it...you can't for sure say how much we will get caught for

I would say that it is a risk worth taking, as like Henderson, young players with a lot of potential do not come our way all that often (aside from the ones that we produce) and he would almost certainly be a saleable asset.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Seagullible said:
It only goes to a tribunal if a fee can't be agreed and you get a good idea of what you'll pay from the demands on the selling club. If we offer £50k and Manure want double that, you can expect the tribunal price to be somewhere between so can then decide whether to agree to a tribunal or not

Actually that is a very good point.... it does depend on what utd want.... it will never be over there asking price so you can have some indication on what you might pay.

One question though..... what if McShane wants to sign for us but we are only willing to pay 50k.....Manure want 150k and someone else is willing to pay that fee.... what happens then ?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
blockhseagull said:
Actually that is a very good point.... it does depend on what utd want.... it will never be over there asking price so you can have some indication on what you might pay.

One question though..... what if McShane wants to sign for us but we are only willing to pay 50k.....Manure want 150k and someone else is willing to pay that fee.... what happens then ?

If he is out of contract, McShane has the freedom to move to where ever, Utd only hold his registration whilst he is under contract. So he would come to us and it would go to tribunal.

If he is out of contract, Utd cannot dictate where he goes, but due to his age they will be compensated for the work they have done on his development as a player.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Uncle Buck said:
If he is out of contract, McShane has the freedom to move to where ever, Utd only hold his registration whilst he is under contract. So he would come to us and it would go to tribunal.

If he is out of contract, Utd cannot dictate where he goes, but due to his age they will be compensated for the work they have done on his development as a player.

Right cheers was unsure whether we would have to match the fee ?

Surely though at tribunal the fact that the asking price was matched by another club would be taken into account

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here