Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] McGhee 99% likely to leave by end of week!

Icy Gull said:
The club are now going to spend the 250k they should have spent in January whilst we had the chance of staying up :shootself

Very good point, although I think MM is on something nearer to £150k than £250k. Spending that in January could have kept us in the Championship. Hey ho.
I've always liked McGhee but his time here is up now.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Les Biehn said:
No offence taken. I certainly agree that the football has not been of the highest calibre and on the playing side MM hasn't brought the best out of the team. but he has been loyal, I believe tried to do his best and has been seriously hampered by off the field activity. Not only this but lets not forget we were promoted under him and he kept us up against the odds. The sales of Virgo and Harding, players he essentially gave the opportunity to shine, have very much helped to keep us afloat in these troubled times. Sure sometimes his decisions aren't the best but I just feel the man at least deserves some respect.

Sheffield Wednesday act as a great example of how hard it is to do well with a team with massive financial restrictions and they at least have a big stadium. How many managers have tried and failed? Sturrock is the only one who has done something approaching a decent job for them and he has only done a bit better than MM this year, with more money to spend.
top post

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
coppell and taylor were loyal wernt they!!!:lol: mm has shown he has some bollocks,he knew it would be a struggle he managed one season to stay up,he hasnt this time,the fans that want him out are the same fans that sung his praises the season b4 and b4 that,loyal they are not,we have no divine right to be in the championship.yes he made mistakes dont we all,but he was prepared to see it out till falmer,shame it doesnt look good for him now,but hey thats football,loyalty has gone out the window from fans and managers alike

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
empire said:
coppell and taylor were loyal wernt they!!!:lol: mm has shown he has some bollocks,he knew it would be a struggle he managed one season to stay up,he hasnt this time,the fans that want him out are the same fans that sung his praises the season b4 and b4 that,loyal they are not,we have no divine right to be in the championship.yes he made mistakes dont we all,but he was prepared to see it out till falmer,shame it doesnt look good for him now,but hey thats football,loyalty has gone out the window from fans and managers alike

I might be shit at my job but because I'm loyal to my company, thats ok then! What a load of crap! He's loyal because, we gave him a two year contract and no one else wants him! End of!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
hes crap ,bet you were singing his praises 2 seasons on the trot,and dont try and twist my words,look at the post b4 mine if you can,they were on the subject of loyalty.wish i could be bovered to read posts from the last 3 seasons,a lot have very short memories

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
El Presidente said:
Albion manager Mark McGhee is on the brink of parting company with the club.

McGhee now seems increasingly likely to become a victim of a boardroom power struggle, revolving around relegated Albion's precarious finances.

Chairman Dick Knight and chief executive Martin Perry have become isolated in their staunch support of McGhee, with Derek Chapman refusing to offer the manager his public backing.

Chapman and fellow director Ray Bloom are thought to have sided with a major investor, who is leading a campaign to oust McGhee from his post.

The Argus revealed on Monday that Albion's board is split over whether McGhee should remain in charge.

Chapman, the natural successor to Knight, has rejected the opportunity to give McGhee his support.

Asked where he stands over the manager's future, he said: "The answer is no comment. I am sure we will spin a coin and sort something out.

"It's got to be sorted out quickly, which I am sure it will be, because it is not fair on anybody."

A further meeting is expected to take place this week between Knight and the investor, who shows no signs of waivering.

Knight has been trying to persuade him that getting rid of McGhee would be a knee-jerk reaction to Albion's relegation from the Championship.

McGhee is being linked with a position as reserve clown in Bily Smart's circus.

Forcing McGhee out will also cost the cash-strapped Seagulls, as they will be obliged to pay up his contract which still has a year to run.

Under the terms of his contract he is entitled to two dozen custard pies each week on top of his salary,

Father-of-two Chapman, 48, joined the board in 1999, when Albion moved back to Brighton to play home matches at Withdean after two years groundsharing with Gillingham.

The millionaire chairman of the Hove-based Adenstar Construction Group often pilots his own helicopter to fly to games from his home in Falmer.

Chapman, an Albion fan since 1968, lives a mile from the site of Albion's proposed new stadium at Falmer.

He revealed last year he was mounting his own legal challenge against Lewes District Council's ongoing attempt to derail the stadium plans.

Bloom, 59, a successful businessman in the exhibitions industry, has a chequered history on the Albion board. Son of the late Harry Bloom, a former vice-chairman of the club, he joined the board himself in 1984.

Bloom angered fans by initially staying loyal to despised former chairman Bill Archer. He refused to sign a statement by other directors publicly condemning Archer, who had overseen the controversial sale of the Goldstone Ground.

Bloom eventually quit the board in October 1996, urging Archer to resume takeover negotiations with Knight.

He rejoined the board in November 1998 and later opened the Good Bean Coffee chain.

Im really tired :yawn: :yawn:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Mark McGhee has turned into the Tony Blair of football management. His ineptitude means that his earlier success with the club no longer carries any weight. It is time for the Albion to purchase a new brush and sweep away the remnants of failure. An earlier post questioned Norman Cook's wealth as an investor but nobody has mentioned all the royalties he rakes in. Are we going to have a poll of what time NSC crashes tomorrow morning when the news breaks ?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
SI 4 BHA said:
I might be shit at my job but because I'm loyal to my company, thats ok then! What a load of crap! He's loyal because, we gave him a two year contract and no one else wants him! End of!

Exactly. Dwindling support for McGhee now only seems to have two arguments to make; 1) He's loyal & 2) He's done his best.

Hardly the most convincing case ...

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I Must agree with Les, that for most of his reign I have like McGhee, but, for me after Christmas he had to go. He was playing a team out of shape, and persisted with one or two players that were simply not good enough. At that time if he had brought more of the youth players in, and gave them some confidence i may well be supporting him now, but I cannot.

If there is some amicable agreement in the next 24 hrs, I wonder, and this is my own suspicion, that MM could be in breach of contract over the colluded story with Naylor.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
empire said:

Where's Adams on this list?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
London Irish said:
I got off lightly with just you taking me up on the bet - what a missed opportunity for all the other Magoo outers that was, eh? :)

When the dirty deed is finally done, you can have your pound of flesh, or twenty!

errm tayto's and red lemonade?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One would assume that if it is MM to go his sidekicks will go with him.

Personally I would give him the chance to take us back up, until Christmas, and sack them now.

Last edited:

dcseagull

Dec 8, 2005
Washington DC
BensGrandad said:

Personally I would give him the chance to take us back up, until Christmas, and sack them now.

??? ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I live in a world of fantasy how about , assuming we stayed at Withdean, building an 8000 all seater stand on the site occupied by the South Stand, with changing rooms offices etc under neath as mentioned by me earlier. Then seal off the entrances etc at the existing end of the ground and move them up to the Western end so that the entrance and exits are taken away from the road leading down to the railway tunnel. A large number of supporters when then disperse away from the ground in the opposite direction of the tunnel thus relieving the conjestion.

I also heard a chinese whisper that the club have had or are having a feasability study completed on how many seats they can get into Withdean. Is this plan B in case!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BensGrandad said:
As I live in a world of fantasy how about , assuming we stayed at Withdean, building an 8000 all seater stand on the site occupied by the South Stand, with changing rooms offices etc under neath as mentioned by me earlier. Then seal off the entrances etc at the existing end of the ground and move them up to the Western end so that the entrance and exits are taken away from the road leading down to the railway tunnel. A large number of supporters when then disperse away from the ground in the opposite direction of the tunnel thus relieving the conjestion.

I also heard a chinese whisper that the club have had or are having a feasability study completed on how many seats they can get into Withdean. Is this plan B in case!!!

How come you always come sniffing around whenever there's any kind of talk of boardroom unrest? ???

Last edited:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
BensGrandad said:

They aren't his sidekicks though; are they? I thought he inherited most of them.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
If McGhee is kept in by the board i will back the boards decision for the first 10 games to see how he does. I am firmly in "the McGhee out camp," as i believe now is the time to sack him. However if the guy is kept then that is the decision of DK a man who we trust with the future of our club! I trust DK to make the right decision and i hope i am not wrong with this trust!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To answer Tom Hark and anybody else who thinks the same.

I have been busy for the past 6 or 7 weeks and unable to get onto NSC but I am here to annoy you all for another fortnight.

Also I am interested in what developes and happens within my club, the club I have supported in every sense of the word for the past 58 + years.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here