Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McFauls blasts Wilkins' "terrible man-management skills"

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
Did Forster not make comments to the same or a similar effect?

Albion Skipper Surprised And Bemused (from The Argus)</title>

Forster said: "We didn't land until midnight. There were ten of us on the plane and all of our phones started bleeping, so we wondered what was going on.

"When we checked our messages we thought it was a joke but it soon became apparent it wasn't and there was momentarily disbelief.

"I still think it is surprising. We made good progress this season but it shows everyone is expendable, especially in football.

"The timing seems a little strange, because changes normally come about when a manager has done particularly poorly.

"I don't think the gaffer has, so in that respect it's a bit bemusing, but I am sure there are reasons.

"I just hope the gaffer takes the job of coach or gets back into football. I am sure a lot of the players wish him the best."

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Albion Skipper Surprised And Bemused (from The Argus)</title>

Forster said: "We didn't land until midnight. There were ten of us on the plane and all of our phones started bleeping, so we wondered what was going on.

"When we checked our messages we thought it was a joke but it soon became apparent it wasn't and there was momentarily disbelief.

"I still think it is surprising. We made good progress this season but it shows everyone is expendable, especially in football.

"The timing seems a little strange, because changes normally come about when a manager has done particularly poorly.

"I don't think the gaffer has, so in that respect it's a bit bemusing, but I am sure there are reasons.

"I just hope the gaffer takes the job of coach or gets back into football. I am sure a lot of the players wish him the best."

Good comment - hardly screams a manger that had no manager that had bad management skills - just footballers with sour grapes

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
with regards to the accommodation i'd doubt that that would be the managers job to sort out

You say that, but I know Alex Ferguson has a big hand in sorting player accomodation.

Having said that, i don't think it's particularly reasonably to criticise Wilkins in particular for it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
A) Players always say shit like that just after they've been released

B) He's bleating about the team splitting into groups, i.e those not in the first team don't train with them. I once saw an interview with an ex arsenal youngster who said the same thing, it seems to work for Arsene Wenger

C) I'm guessing he didn't just phone the Argus and tell them all that. Naylor probably phone him and extracted those quotes, being careful to edit it to show wilkins in the worst possible light

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was under the impression that clubs like Man United employ fixers- a player concierge, if you will- to answer to their players' every whim.

There are stories circulating on the internet about one club's concierge getting a call in the small hours from a player worried because the water draining from his plughole was circling in the wrong direction, and another requesting late night emergency call outs to change a light bulb.

Don't think Wendy had that in his job description though, therefore McFaul should have got off his sorry ass and found himself a flat. It's not as though he was here on schoolboy forms.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Why is Naylor so eager to post this kind of non story? It's not exactly helpful right now.

FOR f*** SAKE.

It sells PAPERS. It doesn't NEED to be helpful!
It's an INTERESTING story - look at the discussion it's sparked here.

Stop blaming Naylor, it's such a copp out!

Oct 25, 2003
You say that, but I know Alex Ferguson has a big hand in sorting player accomodation.

Having said that, i don't think it's particularly reasonably to criticise Wilkins in particular for it.

SLIGHT difference between man utd and brighton :)

anyway, if mcfaul hated his accommodation THAT much i find it hard to believe that there are NO houses on the rental market in brighton

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
B) He's bleating about the team splitting into groups, i.e those not in the first team don't train with them. I once saw an interview with an ex arsenal youngster who said the same thing, it seems to work for Arsene Wenger

Fair point, but what works for one manager doesn't necessarily work for all (witness Wilkins' Coppell-esque 'not being in the dugout for the first half' thing).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here