Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McCammon off to Brizzle City

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
KinkyNormanBaker said:
Most people thought he was ok after stoke then he go worse and worse.

Like i said to you a while back.

He wasnt SO bad in the air it was the fact he won it then couldnt lay it of to anyone in blue and white.

True, his ineptness was overshadowed by Harding against Stoke, but he failed to convince me as I scrutinised his play after he'd told us all how great he was in that night's Argus.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
blockhseagull said:
Well he came on, but to say he played would be debateable

Hit the corner flag with a shot, fell over with only the keeper to beat, tackled McPhee when he was shooting and the bognor fans stood around me were pissing themselves

Have you told Baddiel & Skinner yet? Sounds like he should have his own series of Phoenix from The Flames.

Bromley shrimp said:
True, his ineptness was overshadowed by Harding against Stoke, but he failed to convince me as I scrutinised his play after he'd told us all how great he was in that night's Argus.

Stoke was his first game and you made up your mind about him then. To be honest, I think that's fairly typical of the fairmindedness of his critics, who then were only looking at his subsequent games for things to slag him off.

I was just looking at the match reviews contained in Tim Carder's excellent Albion Almanac. Interestingly it shows that Big Mac made four starts for us this season, and he was nominated by the Albion Almanac match reviewers as Brighton's man of the match in two of them (Shrewsbury, Millwall).

He was undoubtedly an underrated player.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
London Irish said:
Stoke was his first game and you made up your mind about him then. To be honest, I think that's fairly typical of the fairmindedness of his critics, who then were only looking at his subsequent games for things to slag him off.

I was just looking at the match reviews contained in Tim Carder's excellent Albion Almanac. Interestingly it shows that Big Mac made four starts for us this season, and he was nominated by the Albion Almanac match reviewers as Brighton's man of the match in two of them (Shrewsbury, Millwall).

He was undoubtedly an underrated player.

Nothing to do with fair minded. 3 touches from McShane against Reading equally showed what he was capable of. If you watch enough it's really not that hard, more so (or is it less so) when players are presented at the extremes of the ability spectrum, to quickly and often make accurate assessments. Keep watching.

Bromley shrimp said:
Nothing to do with fair minded. 3 touches from McShane against Reading equally showed what he was capable of. If you watch enough it's really not that hard, more so (or is it less so) when players are presented at the extremes of the ability spectrum, to quickly and often make accurate assessments. Keep watching.

Strongly disagree, this board is littered with early assessments of players being wrong, Currie and Butters being the obvious ones, Darius Henderson another, I'm sure people can think of plenty of other examples. You always have to keep an open mind, even towards players you take an early dislike to. Not enough people do that on here.

No one was saying that Big Mac was a good standard tier 2 player, he was obviously a journeyman player (not dissimilar to the many journeymen pros we have in our squad) just that his strengths were often overlooked in the mountain of garbage chucked at him.

The parallel with McShane is too extreme, he is a Premiership class player who we can't afford to buy and so will be here for an all-too short time.

Last edited:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
London Irish said:
Strongly disagree, this board is littered with early assessments of players being wrong, Currie and Butters being the obvious ones, Darius Henderson another, I'm sure people can think of plenty of other examples. You always have to keep an open mind, even towards players you take an early dislike to. Not enough people do that on here.

No one was saying that Big Mac was a good standard tier 2 player, he was obviously a journeyman player (not dissimilar to the many journeymen pros we have in our squad) just that his strengths were often overlooked in the mountain of garbage chucked at him.

The parallel with McShane is too extreme, he is a Premiership class player who we can't afford to buy and so will be here for an all-too short time.

I used Mc Shane because he is an extreme in the same way that McGammon is another sort of extreme. I got it wrong about Butters (at Portsmouth), but he is neither exceptionally gifted or remakably poor and you're right you do have to be open-minded. McGammon is far too ungainly and in the end his clumsiness just made me laugh unmaliciously. I'm afraid that you are just too kind to his cause or maybe I've just got a blind spot to what you like about him and good luck to you for that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm just PRAYING that McGhee hasn't arrived at the conclusion that Gatting is good enough to replace that loan striker he's been after.

If so, not only are we right in the poo, but we're staying there.

McCammon was average at best, but we need to get a BETTER and PROVEN replacement in, and fast.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
LI - Please just once accept that you are wrong about something.

Mac was never a Championship level striker - his first touch was awful, passing ability crap, hold up play for a man his size poor and for somebody 6ft whatever his heading ability pretty pathetic. I would put him in the top 5 or 6 worst Albion strikers that I've seen at the Albion.

And I started watching in 1973

Bromley shrimp said:
I'm afraid that you are just too kind to his cause or maybe I've just got a blind spot to what you like about him and good luck to you for that.

Well, call me kind, or a viciously cruel parent, but my three-year-old just got her present from the Seagulls Club through the post recently, a signed photograph of Mark McCammon :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Bloody good job her birthday was early in the year :lolol:

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
You lot are far too excitable !!
For everyone saying "Good riddance" AND for everyone saying "Could do a job" (fewer admitedly)

It's ONLY a ONE MONTH LOAN - FFS

He'll be back here before you've even missed him, so shhhhhhh!

Simster said:
I'm just PRAYING that McGhee hasn't arrived at the conclusion that Gatting is good enough to replace that loan striker he's been after.

If so, not only are we right in the poo, but we're staying there.

McCammon was average at best, but we need to get a BETTER and PROVEN replacement in, and fast.

I've been told a rumour that we have been after two very good strikers this week, one a targetman, one an athletic striker, so I doubt whether McGhee is "settling" on Gatting. I agree with you if he did that, it would be tantamount to going down without a fight. Whether McGhee will be successful in persuading these players to come here though, given what we offer, is obviously the $64,000 question.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
London Irish said:
Well, call me kind, or a viciously cruel parent, but my three-year-old just got her present from the Seagulls Club through the post recently, a signed photograph of Mark McCammon :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Bloody good job her birthday was early in the year :lolol:

Got George Cohen's book signed personally by him as a Birthday pressie tonight and I'm over the moon with it, so appreciate what you've got for your youngster.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
London Irish said:
But you think he was taken off against Reading because he was exhausted, rather than having run himself into the ground while ill and then collapsed due to a viral infection that resulted in him being hospitalised.

There were some utter scum who were laying him and taking the piss as he was taken away by the St John's ambulance people. I really hope you are not so far gone in your anti-Big Mac views that you think behaviour like that is acceptable, Hannibal.

I was watching it down the pub with a bunch of Coventry fans. They were crying with laughter at the inepitude of our lumbering giant.

That said, If I was at the game, I certainly wouldn't abuse him or any other player (although I may have let my guard slip once with McCammon when he trod on the ball).

More on point. Can you really argue Mccammon is hard working and quick?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
MCCAMMON STRIKES TWICE TO SPARK CITY

11:00 - 23 February 2006

Mark McCammon staked a strong claim for a first Bristol City start with a brace in a 3-0 reserve-team win over Yeovil Town at Huish Park last night. McCammon, playing up front with Bas Savage, featured for an hour against the Glovers. The Brighton striker, on loan at City for a month, could now start against Bournemouth at Ashton Gate on Saturday.

Midfielder Alex Russell got City's other goal against a club he could have joined in the summer.

Robins keeper Steve Phillips had a night to remember as he made several saves, including a stop from a penalty by Daniel Webb.

Former Boston keeper Nathan Abbey made his first City appearance late on when he replaced Phillips.

Manager Gary Johnson said: "There were several good performances and I was happy with all the players."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here