Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maynard

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Barnes + a mllion for Maynard,makes perfect sence to me.Barnes is a good player at his level,but i dont think that level is top end championship standard.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Barnes + a mllion for Maynard,makes perfect sence to me.Barnes is a good player at his level,but i dont think that level is top end championship standard.

cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid though I'd love to be wrong.

I really feel sorry for Barnes as it seems many fans don't rate him. I genuinely believe he is close to being a million pound player and hope he gets the game time to show it this year.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It's not that I dont rate Barnes, but I think is City are interested in buying him to potentially replace the loss of their main striker then he could be found to be lacking. He's not good or experienced enough to be the main striker at a football club yet and that is what he'll be if he replaces Maynard.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid though I'd love to be wrong.

I really feel sorry for Barnes as it seems many fans don't rate him. I genuinely believe he is close to being a million pound player and hope he gets the game time to show it this year.

I agreee......but maybe not with us !

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

It would take Barnes +3/4 million, and that's if we would/could pay Maynards wage demands which would be far higher than CMS.

I think Barnes is worth holding onto. He's a weird player, he never seems that involved in games, or in the link up play, and seemed to miss a lot of chances, but still ended up with 20 goals which is very impressive at his age and given it was his first full season. I'd say he must be worth near £1 million already.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I honestly don't think our next big signing will be a striker.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It would take Barnes +3/4 million, and that's if we would/could pay Maynards wage demands which would be far higher than CMS.

I think Barnes is worth holding onto. He's a weird player, he never seems that involved in games, or in the link up play, and seemed to miss a lot of chances, but still ended up with 20 goals which is very impressive at his age and given it was his first full season. I'd say he must be worth near £1 million already.

Why would his demands be higher than CMS?..Bigger clubs were after CMS then are linked with Maynard.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Why would his demands be higher than CMS?..Bigger clubs were after CMS then are linked with Maynard.

He's pretty much accepted to be one of the best young strikers (24) in the Championship, whilst CMS (27) was one of the best in League One with a bit of Championship experience.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I honestly don't think our next big signing will be a striker.

whether the next big signing or not I hope we will be bringing in a central midfielder of real quality and I'm fascinated and excited to see who it might be. The right person plus a good centre back (and for comfort a decent back-up fullback) could change us from midtable battlers to play-off contenders

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Because Maynard would be earning much more at Bristol City than CMS would at Posh, higher league, and having banged in 20 goals the season before in the Championship. They paid over £2million for him, which straight away means he'd be on a decent wedge, and he's since been offered new deals with more money to tempt him to stay.
He'll go for 4/5 million if he leaves, and will be earning a lot more. As Severnside Gull said, he's one of the best (IMO the best) young strikers in the Championship, and has proved it.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Why on earth are people touting Barnes about? He's one of the great success stories of last season! 50k for 20 goals at the age of 20 is brilliant. I'm pretty sure Poyet also sees Barnes as his prodigy so I can't see there being any chance of him leaving.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Why on earth are people touting Barnes about? He's one of the great success stories of last season! 50k for 20 goals at the age of 20 is brilliant.

Agreed. Some ridiculous comments about Barnes - he had a fantastic season for a youngster, got rid of his sometimes petulant attitude as the campaign went on and improved his finishing no end. Promises to be a very hot property in years to come.

Gus has already said that he wants another striker so why would he want to get rid of Barnes? With him, CMS and Hoskins we only have 3 that will be in immediate 1st team contention with Buckley as a back-up option and Bergkamp and Agdestein more likely to be on the bench. There's certainly room for a bit more muscle up top at the moment...

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Agreed. Some ridiculous comments about Barnes - he had a fantastic season for a youngster, got rid of his sometimes petulant attitude as the campaign went on and improved his finishing no end. Promises to be a very hot property in years to come.

Gus has already said that he wants another striker so why would he want to get rid of Barnes? With him, CMS and Hoskins we only have 3 that will be in immediate 1st team contention with Buckley as a back-up option and Bergkamp and Agdestein more likely to be on the bench. There's certainly room for a bit more muscle up top at the moment...

..because it was in the Mirror(?) a couple of weeks ago that Bristol City were going to bid for him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Why on earth are people touting Barnes about? He's one of the great success stories of last season! 50k for 20 goals at the age of 20 is brilliant. I'm pretty sure Poyet also sees Barnes as his prodigy so I can't see there being any chance of him leaving.

Spot on

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

Interesting that you are valuing Maynard at £2m.
I think you will get a shock when'if he is sold.

westy

Jul 25, 2003

Couldn't agree more. Barnes had a great season and got better and better. His goals at Bristol and Oldham were pure class, and all at the age of 20. He is the kind of player we should be tying down on a long term deal not touting about. Im sure Gus will be looking to get him on a long contract soon, hes already shown what he can do and he will only get better. He isnt going anywhere!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here