Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Does he ever ,make saves ?
Weird innit?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'm not criticising Ryan for his performance yesterday, but one observation I did make was that Palace's keeper Guaita looked much more commanding of his area than Maty ever does. I do think those characteristics take a lot of pressure off defenders, particularly at set pieces.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm not criticising Ryan for his performance yesterday, but one observation I did make was that Palace's keeper Guaita looked much more commanding of his area than Maty ever does. I do think those characteristics take a lot of pressure off defenders, particularly at set pieces.
Matty spent quite a bit f time outside his area yesterday.....but agree , he's not much of a" presence ".

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The lack of cleans sheets this season puts the spotlight on Mat Ryan but I think it's more to do with our poor defending. we do look vulnerable at the back this season

A serious question is Ryans lack or apparent lack of command in his area. at a different level we had Duffy/Dunk bossing things, we've moved on from that . . . We need a commander somewhere there. We don't currently have that in defence

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

More commanding but spilled at least 2 balls straight at him.

If Maty had done that some posters faces would have melted.

Maty doesn't have to be 'commanding in the area' because he WAS the 'keeper behind a very commanding defence.

Now the defence is in a process of change, that's going to effect his position too.
But all the time he can still do a job - reflex saves, distribution and the odd worldie, he's fine...

...for now.

It's such a blessing we're not allowed in, this season 'we' would definitely cost the team goals.

Maty is the 2020 keeper, chances are he will be the 20/21 season 'keeper.

I dream of the days the Brighton Boo-Boys don't have a target,

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Big fan of Maty's but he does need some competition, I just don't buy it with Steele. Great backup and can do a job, but never able to threaten a main stay.

Any word on Walton and how he's doing?

I don't really have any issues with our keepers. Maty Ryan doesn't have the edge over penalty takers, as there is little doubt in their mind that they will score, sadly. The games Steele has played this season he has been flawless. I have had my doubts in the past, but he looks a capable understudy.

The one I don't get right now is Robert Sanchez. he has always looked a good shot stopper to me, his performance against Liverpool U23s on Saturday was very good.

He fluffed an early kick, but after that his distribution with his feet was excellent, and he launched a couple of promising attacks with excellent throw outs. He didn't have many saves to make, but came and very confidentally caught a couple of ackward crosses from corners.

The U23 aren't short of keeper options and I think he deserves to be higher up the rankings than Brighton's fourth choice keeper.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

People moaning about Ryan today when he didn't face a non-penalty shot :lolol: Next thing they'll be saying he should be getting more goals and assists.

Not at all. Have you read anyone’s comments?

This has been an observation going back years. Guy doesn’t save enough. Any shot on target nearly always a goal.

Great bloke but he is not signed for life. Like any part of the team, if it’s an area that can be improved the club will do it. We were linked to a few keepers in recent windows, suggesting that is the case.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
More commanding but spilled at least 2 balls straight at him.

If Maty had done that some posters faces would have melted.

Maty doesn't have to be 'commanding in the area' because he WAS the 'keeper behind a very commanding defence.

Now the defence is in a process of change, that's going to effect his position too.
But all the time he can still do a job - reflex saves, distribution and the odd worldie, he's fine...

...for now.

It's such a blessing we're not allowed in, this season 'we' would definitely cost the team goals.

Maty is the 2020 keeper, chances are he will be the 20/21 season 'keeper.

I dream of the days the Brighton Boo-Boys don't have a target,
They always have a target.

They were beginning to mutter about Mac Allister but have to bite their tongues about him for this week.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

It was, he has done absolutely feck all to help us so far this season.We got lucky, it was a very marginal decision. He really does need competition.

Why shouldn’t we call it as we see it? This season he has been bang average...or worse

For some reason people get upset when you’re critical of certain players.

Matty, Dale (no longer of course), and Proper being the most protected.

Yet these uber fans never step forward when other players are slagged regularly, eg Solly. Who I think has been fantastic this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They always have a target.

They were beginning to mutter about Mac Allister but have to bite their tongues about him for this week.

I know - I just don't, never have and never will 'get it'.

Sure D-Wayne is just :fishing: because he wants Spence's title as Forum Tw@t, now that the latter has moved into politics.

But for this thread to be on page 1 after playing a game where the opposition had a Xg of 0, zero, nil, non, Īe, nej, néiyǒu, nihil, ochi is just an embarrassment for all concerned, myself included.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was, he has done absolutely feck all to help us so far this season.We got lucky, it was a very marginal decision. He really does need competition.

Why shouldn’t we call it as we see it? This season he has been bang average...or worse
It would be nice if you bought something new to the table.

Even Tony Blair would be bored of the meaningless soundbite that is:-

'He really does need competition'.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not at all. Have you read anyone’s comments?

This has been an observation going back years. Guy doesn’t save enough. Any shot on target nearly always a goal.

Great bloke but he is not signed for life. Like any part of the team, if it’s an area that can be improved the club will do it. We were linked to a few keepers in recent windows, suggesting that is the case.

Didn’t Ryan have one of the highest save % in the division last year?

I agree with your point earlier about certain players being given an easy ride compared to some but this thread being active after yesterday’s game is bizarre. They literally had a penalty in the entire game, critiquing players when they deserve it is fine, Ryan after yesterday’s game? Stinks of the blame game.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maty is reliable. You won't realise just how valuable that is until the moment you don't have it.

We've not conceded a goal this season which you would say he should have stopped.

However I think there are valid criticisms the penalty thing being the main one. He's not got anywhere near a penalty for years .. and we concede a lot of them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We've not conceded a goal this season which you would say he should have stopped..

You are absolutely correct, he has not made a serious mistake either. My only criticism of him, which is harsh I totally accept, is that he hasn’t saved a shot this season where you thought “How the **** did he get to that”?

You know the kind of saves that most other PL keepers make now and again. It is often the difference between winning and losing and we need those kind of saves occasionally, just like we need midfielders to help out forwards with goals. Well imo anyway

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It would be nice if you bought something new to the table.

Even Tony Blair would be bored of the meaningless soundbite that is:-

'He really does need competition'.

Fair comment but I am fully aware that there are going to be Take That breaking up tears from you when he does have some serious competition :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair comment but I am fully aware that there are going to be Take That breaking up tears from you when he does have some serious competition :wink:
That's never going to happen.

When the club feel their current stated aim has been reached or reaching it has been directly hampered by Ryan, the club will buy/or promote another keeper.

Ryan will be off - thanks for the service.

But take a wild guess as to the one thing, the one singular thing, the new guy WON'T have...

...no...

... yes, competition for his place.

Proving just how completely meaningless that nothing sentence is.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You must be watching different games to me then!!
Err Sunday prime example, Batshit had no idea he was offside. It may be more highlighted as we don’t score many. I’ve been saying the same we can dominate for 30 minutes the oppo have one chance and score.

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
For me Matty has never been the same since the Asia cup.

He’s a solid keeper is and perfect for the level Brighton are at. I do think he struggles with the ball at his feet though and if that’s the way we’re going to play for years to come, then a little completion in that position would be healthy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here