Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He was poor.
Not a witch hunt because said it last week as well.

However, my point then remains he is okay.
Not as good as most think, not as bad.

I think we can do better, but if we don’t we go with him next season and IMO there are other areas in greater need of an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Far too reasonable. He’s either utter shit or f-/king brilliant. You need to get off the fence! :lolol:

I think you’re spot on btw.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I cant believe people are saying that Ryan is not good enough to be our number 1, or that they should be dropped.

Yes he had a bad game but he has literally been one our best players since we have gone up, and he saved (no pun) us plenty games points we could have easily lost.

I think his distribution is good too, he is always looking for the quick long ball forward and can use either foot.

He’s comfortable on the ball which is no doubt a key Potter attribute for the keeper. Remember that high ball at Norwich he came out of his area to and bought it down on his knee and calmly passed it - I was surprised it wasn’t picked out on MOTD as it was utter class. He can spray a pass with some real accuracy too, and is pretty good with either foot.

I think he’s better than half the keepers in this league but you get up to say Pope, and there is a difference in the ‘oh my God how has he kept that out’ stakes, and just having an enormous presence in the box at set pieces.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
in games like this you either make your name or don't and tonight he sadly didn't perform. He has been good but impeccable is stretching it.He has no competition if we could get Heaton it would mean a pressure to perform.

We haven't just conceded goals we have laid down and died because of basic mistakes.

Make your name? He’s an international keeper with experience in the World Cup and the two best domestic leagues in the world.

I know Spurs fans who prefer him to Lloris. Lloris is a World Cup winner Ffs

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
He needs proper competition and we should always be looking to upgrade our players. There’s a reason we’ve been bottom six for three seasons.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I cant believe people are saying that Ryan is not good enough to be our number 1, or that they should be dropped.

Yes he had a bad game but he has literally been one our best players since we have gone up, and he saved (no pun) us plenty games points we could have easily lost.

I think his distribution is good too, he is always looking for the quick long ball forward and can use either foot.

‘Dropped‘ or ‘rested‘?
I’d like to see him rested, not dropped. Dropped sounds like a punishment.
They amount to the same thing but they are kind of different.
We have a squad. Why Shouldn’t we use it (even if the alternative keeper options aren’t ideal)?
And you say Hes one of our best players. your opinion, but there’s a case that he has had a poor season.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I seem to remember that when Ryan joined us he looked decidedly iffy in the pre-season. He realised that he was struggling and got help from a goalkeeping coach outside of the club which helped to settle him and he really turned it around and looked impressive. I can’t remember who the coach was but maybe it’s time for another catch up? Anyone can have a dip in form so hopefully it’s just a blip.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
As I said in the other thread....

Ryan is a very capable goalkeeper, but no better than that. He doesn’t make too many howlers and he doesn’t really makes ‘worldy’ saves. He is a £5mil goalkeeper in a market where this amount will buy most sides an able reserve goal keeper. He lets goals in that others may save but you can’t say it’s his fault.............. but you feel some keepers would make the save.

He has no competition this year as Button is a Championship keeper at best and Steele hasn’t seemEd to play at all in his 2 years here.

We either accept the Ryan is what he is or will need to spend a fair bit on a new number 1. The other alternative is hoping that Walton has progressed enough to offer him some serious competition next year!

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
‘Dropped‘ or ‘rested‘?
I’d like to see him rested, not dropped. Dropped sounds like a punishment.
They amount to the same thing but they are kind of different.
We have a squad. Why Shouldn’t we use it (even if the alternative keeper options aren’t ideal)?
And you say Hes one of our best players. your opinion, but there’s a case that he has had a poor season.

Why drop or rest him, when it makes us a worse off team?

It is not really an opinion when the stats back up how vital he has been to us over the last couple of season.

He’s comfortable on the ball which is no doubt a key Potter attribute for the keeper. Remember that high ball at Norwich he came out of his area to and bought it down on his knee and calmly passed it - I was surprised it wasn’t picked out on MOTD as it was utter class. He can spray a pass with some real accuracy too, and is pretty good with either foot.

I think he’s better than half the keepers in this league but you get up to say Pope, and there is a difference in the ‘oh my God how has he kept that out’ stakes, and just having an enormous presence in the box at set pieces.

I really do not think that he is that far off Pope tbh but when you think about the size of our club in compassion to Burnley's league position and with Pope pushing to be England's number 1, I dont think we are doing that bad :lolol:

Ryan is probably the best keeper outside of the top 7-8 teams.

Agree with all this. He had a very poor game (likely the worst he’s had for us), but for him that is unusual. He isn’t prone to howlers at all - can hardly recall any in his time here. He doesn’t have any realistic competition to keep him on his toes though (which also means an injury to him would be a crisis for us) as from what I’ve seen of them Button/Steele are not at the same level.

I agree with this. On the whole, he has been excellent and I am more than happy to have him as our number one next season. However, at the moment, he is undroppable (in my opinion) due to the level of back-up we have. They are nowhere near premier league standard and I think, at the time, we’re brought in as we were in slightly dire need of home-grown players at the time.

We went from having incredible strength in depth overnight (with Krul and Maenpaa) to having very poor reserve options. Some say Button did well when Ryan was away last season. He was incredibly lucky - made a couple of howlers where we would usually have been punished. He is not the answer - we need some quality competition from someone who believes they will be first choice. I have no doubt Maenpaa was brought in as our new number one after Stockdale’s average first season - and look what happened to his form and fitness after that. Similarly, Krul would have expected to be number one after Ryan’s first couple of games - this drove Ryan to new levels. This is what we need now in my opinion...

Agreed, I think you two make similar points. I had a quick look at some stats and Ryan has apparently only had two clear errors that have lead to a goal since he has been with us.

It seems he has just lost a bit of concentration lately, like you guys say some competition might do him well..... Having someone like Tim Krul was perfect for us as a back up with his experience and class but I doubt he wants to see out the last couple years of his career on the bench with a team fighting relegation.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

It is not really an opinion when the stats back up how vital he has been to us over the last couple of season.

I really do not think that he is that far off Pope but when you think about the size of our club, Pope is pushing to be England's number 1 and we are struggling to avoid relation..... I dont think we are doing that bad :lolol:

He is probably the best keeper outside of the top 7-8 teams.

Agreed, I think you two make similar points. I had a quick look at some stats and Ryan has apparently only had two clear errors that have lead to a goal since he has been with us.

It seems he has just lost a bit of concentration lately, like you guys say some competition might do him well..... Having someone like Tim Krul was perfect for us as a back up with his experience and class but I doubt he wants to see out the last couple years of his career on the bench with a team fighting relegation.

To answer your question, I’d hope resting Ryan and bringing in a presumably fired-up Button would improve the team. A marginal call, I give you as Button isn’t a world-beater and , as you say, Ryan hasn’t made a series Of clangers.
He just looks a bit off at the moment, You say maybe a Concentration thing. Possibly. Can’t be nice conceding so many goals.
This would be a short term fix though.
I agree with all the posts that there needs to be stronger competiton for the number one spot next season.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I really do not think that he is that far off Pope tbh but when you think about the size of our club in compassion to Burnley's league position and with Pope pushing to be England's number 1, I dont think we are doing that bad :lolol:

Ryan is probably the best keeper outside of the top 7-8 teams.

Stats don't tell the true facts of whether he should be saving more shots and that's what most are saying. He doesn't make many direct mistakes but is playing to his limitations. He is not the best outside the top 7/8

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Stats don't tell the true facts of whether he should be saving more shots and that's what most are saying. He doesn't make many direct mistakes but is playing to his limitations. He is not the best outside the top 7/8

Krul, for starters . And the palace keeper. Pope, Heaton. Ryan is at best, about right with a club like us

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Listening to a podcast the other day about Joe Hart talking about how he was ‘found out’ diving to his left side, so much that opposition actually started researching and targeting shots towards that side of the goal, I think Ryan has a similar problem but I can’t find any statistics regarding this. Ryan is a good keeper for our level, he had a shocker last night and hasn’t looked great since the restart but he has been good keeper overall.

The problem is the standard in this league keepers wise is ridiculous, even mid level clubs have fantastic keepers, Fabianski, Pope, Henderson, Patricio, Foster etc

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

I agree stats dont all but regarding saves, on fantasy football Ryan has the 9th highest points out the whole league just behind De Gea, they work off bonus points for saves, because Ryan doesn't get many points for clean sheets lol

Looking at the top half of the table (which it is batsh!t crazy at the moment) from 11th down I wouldn't swap any keeper for Ryan: Southampton, Newcastle, Palace, West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth, Vila, Norwich.

Arguably, I would rather have Ryan than Patricio and Henderson who are above us, the rest of the teams above have world class keepers that could almost walk into any team in the world or have the potential to, like Pope for example.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I agree stats dont all but regarding saves, on fantasy football Ryan has the 9th highest points out the whole league just behind De Gea, they work off bonus points for saves, because Ryan doesn't get many points for clean sheets lol

Looking at the top half of the table (which it is batsh!t crazy at the moment) from 11th down I wouldn't swap any keeper for Ryan: Southampton, Newcastle, Palace, West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth, Vila, Norwich.

Arguably, I would rather have Ryan than Patricio and Henderson who are above us, the rest of the teams above have world class keepers that could almost walk into any team in the world or have the potential to, like Pope for example.

Really?! I would put at a minimum Dubravka, Fabianski, Foster above him. Guaita and Krul on a par. Henderson has been the best keeper in the league after Allison, and Patricio is good. So essentially, I completely disagree with you!

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Really?! I would put at a minimum Dubravka, Fabianski, Foster above him. Guaita and Krul on a par. Henderson has been the best keeper in the league after Allison, and Patricio is good. So essentially, I completely disagree with you!

I definitely dont put Dubravka, Fabianski, Guaita, Patricio, Krul or Foster (now) above him.

Henderson is going to be a great keeper and yes I put him above Ryan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here