Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Having watched us since 1982 I can’t think of another keeper who I’ve more confidence in of coming to claim the ball without dropping it, reflex saves spot on and who’s distribution is pretty decent. Best keeper we’ve had in my supporting time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Joe Corrigan

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Same keeper, just one is a lot older.

We’ve played City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leicester and United in recent weeks and shock horror, we’ve conceded a few goals. EVERYONE concedes against the best teams. Ryan has been impeccable for three seasons. It’s incredible how short some people’s memories are. Bissouma was absolutely terrible in January. Now he’s a world beater.

in games like this you either make your name or don't and tonight he sadly didn't perform. He has been good but impeccable is stretching it.He has no competition if we could get Heaton it would mean a pressure to perform.

We haven't just conceded goals we have laid down and died because of basic mistakes.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Having watched us since 1982 I can’t think of another keeper who I’ve more confidence in of coming to claim the ball without dropping it, reflex saves spot on and who’s distribution is pretty decent. Best keeper we’ve had in my supporting time.

All better then Ryan since 1982?
Moseley, Digweed, Corrigan, Keeley, Beeney, Roberts, Kuipers, Kuszczak, and maybe even Stockdale.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It was a shit performance from him to be fair, but he is usually a safe, competent keeper that wont win or lose you many games. If some über keeper with similar attributes (good with his feet and overall steady) comes along, I could see it happening but I can only think of a handful out there currently, most of who would be pretty expensive. But sure, get me Andre Onana from Ajax and I'd be happy to see a change.

People who wants him dropped against Saints though should just be calm, reflect about the alternatives and whether Button/Steele are able to shit unicorns. Judging from the fairly little I've seen of them I seriously doubt it.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
It was a shit performance from him to be fair, but he is usually a safe, competent keeper that wont win or lose you many games. If some über keeper with similar attributes (good with his feet and overall steady) comes along, I could see it happening but I can only think of a handful out there currently, most of who would be pretty expensive. But sure, get me Andre Onana from Ajax and I'd be happy to see a change.

People who wants him dropped against Saints though should just be calm, reflect about the alternatives and whether Button/Steele are able to shit unicorns. Judging from the fairly little I've seen of them I seriously doubt it.

Therein lies the problem, Ryan is nothing special, but OK, but he has absolutely no competition. Get rid of Button/Steele/ maybe even Walton and get a keeper that will actively challenge for the first team jersey.

The Albion

Apr 15, 2019
We’ve played City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leicester and United in recent weeks and shock horror, we’ve conceded a few goals. EVERYONE concedes against the best teams. Ryan has been impeccable for three seasons. It’s incredible how short some people’s memories are.

Could not agree more. Can’t believe the knee-jerk reactions in this thread.

Man City make ALL KEEPERS look silly ALL THE TIME.

To use a game against Man City as reasoning to drop Ryan, after his long and successful career at the club, is laughable imo.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
All better then Ryan since 1982?
Moseley, Digweed, Corrigan, Keeley, Beeney, Roberts, Kuipers, Kuszczak, and maybe even Stockdale.

It’s all a matter of opinion, Keeley, Beeney and Kuipers were great keepers but as far as I’m concerned Ryan is right up there with all round consistency.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having slept on it I feel I may have over reacted in my criticism of the goals Ryan conceded. It is a fact that to stand any chance of avoiding a drubbing against City in the form they were in last night you need your keeper and defenders to have absolute blinders. None did so we got thrashed, let’s just suck it up and not go on a witch hunt?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I have been saying for a long time now that Ryan needs some competition. No player should be a shoo in every game at this level. He has not been in great form recently imo and tonight he had an absolute shocker.

Button did pretty well when he played for us. If he doesn’t qualify as serious completion in the manager’s eyes, I’m not sure why.
EDIT Just seen your updated post. Yes “shocker” a bit harsh given the lack of effective defence in front of him. But Ryan Did have a poor game. He deserves a rest, if anything, to clear his head.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Having slept on it I feel I may have over reacted in my criticism of the goals Ryan conceded. It is a fact that to stand any chance of avoiding a drubbing against City in the form they were in last night you need your keeper and defenders to have absolute blinders. None did so we got thrashed, let’s just suck it up and not go on a witch hunt?

He was poor.
Not a witch hunt because said it last week as well.

However, my point then remains he is okay.
Not as good as most think, not as bad.

I think we can do better, but if we don’t we go with him next season and IMO there are other areas in greater need of an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Therein lies the problem, Ryan is nothing special, but OK, but he has absolutely no competition. Get rid of Button/Steele/ maybe even Walton and get a keeper that will actively challenge for the first team jersey.

How many keepers who are much better than Button, Steele and Walton, would be happy to bench-warm at Brighton?
None, I should think.
If you want a decent keeper, you’d have to tell them they’re first choice.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Button did pretty well when he played for us. If he doesn’t qualify as serious completion in the manager’s eyes, I’m not sure why.
EDIT Just seen your updated post. Yes “shocker” a bit harsh given the lack of effective defence in front of him. But Ryan Did have a poor game. He deserves a rest, if anything, to clear his head.

Sorry but Button is really poor, I’d prefer Steele to him and I think he seems more interested in being third choice and playing golf.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sorry but Button is really poor, I’d prefer Steele to him and I think he seems more interested in being third choice and playing golf.

I’m sure he had some good games when Ryan was on international duty. It was a while ago, so I might be wrong!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m sure he had some good games when Ryan was on international duty. It was a while ago, so I might be wrong!

No he was adequate, but he also let a few poor ones in as well.

All opinions [emoji2].

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
No he was adequate, but he also let a few poor ones in as well.

All opinions [emoji2].

I’ve no doubt Button wasn’t and isn’t amazing.
I’d be tempted to give him a go anyway.
Ryan has shipped quite a few lately. Even if they weren’t all down to him, it can’t have felt great.
Pretty much everyone else gets rested from time to time.
We have a Squad, we should use it.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I cant believe people are saying that Ryan is not good enough to be our number 1, or that they should be dropped.

Yes he had a bad game but he has literally been one our best players since we have gone up, and he saved (no pun) us plenty games points we could have easily lost.

I think his distribution is good too, he is always looking for the quick long ball forward and can use either foot.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I cant believe people are saying that Ryan is not good enough to be our number 1, or that they should be dropped.

Yes he had a bad game but he has literally been one our best players since we have gone up, and he saved (no pun) us plenty games points we could have easily lost.

I think his distribution is good too, he is always looking for the quick long ball forward and can use either foot.

I agree with this. On the whole, he has been excellent and I am more than happy to have him as our number one next season. However, at the moment, he is undroppable (in my opinion) due to the level of back-up we have. They are nowhere near premier league standard and I think, at the time, we’re brought in as we were in slightly dire need of home-grown players at the time.

We went from having incredible strength in depth overnight (with Krul and Maenpaa) to having very poor reserve options. Some say Button did well when Ryan was away last season. He was incredibly lucky - made a couple of howlers where we would usually have been punished. He is not the answer - we need some quality competition from someone who believes they will be first choice. I have no doubt Maenpaa was brought in as our new number one after Stockdale’s average first season - and look what happened to his form and fitness after that. Similarly, Krul would have expected to be number one after Ryan’s first couple of games - this drove Ryan to new levels. This is what we need now in my opinion...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I agree with this. On the whole, he has been excellent and I am more than happy to have him as our number one next season. However, at the moment, he is undroppable (in my opinion) due to the level of back-up we have. They are nowhere near premier league standard and I think, at the time, we’re brought in as we were in slightly dire need of home-grown players at the time.

We went from having incredible strength in depth overnight (with Krul and Maenpaa) to having very poor reserve options. Some say Button did well when Ryan was away last season. He was incredibly lucky - made a couple of howlers where we would usually have been punished. He is not the answer - we need some quality competition from someone who believes they will be first choice. I have no doubt Maenpaa was brought in as our new number one after Stockdale’s average first season - and look what happened to his form and fitness after that. Similarly, Krul would have expected to be number one after Ryan’s first couple of games - this drove Ryan to new levels. This is what we need now in my opinion...

Agree with all this. He had a very poor game (likely the worst he’s had for us), but for him that is unusual. He isn’t prone to howlers at all - can hardly recall any in his time here. He doesn’t have any realistic competition to keep him on his toes though (which also means an injury to him would be a crisis for us) as from what I’ve seen of them Button/Steele are not at the same level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here