Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt O Riley [26/08/24 - sings on a 5-year deal]

Well if we sign him and sell WBG, I will BOOOING him the moment he gets on the pitch :wink:
I'm sure some will be doing that anyway given he's Celtic

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
You can’t compare the Premier league to the Scottish league on stats , it is meaningless to judge a player.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Talk about picking the stats that suit the agenda :thumbsup:

I picked those stats to counter the suggestion that Gilmour is a sideways-passing merchant. I assumed that was obvious.

In my previous post, I'd shared more stats highlighting the relative strengths and weaknesses of WBG and O'Riley.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I firmly believe that those comparing O Rileys stats in a dominant team in the Scottish Premiership with Gilmours stats in a struggling (last season) mid-table PL team belong to the category of people who believe they can make the Olympics if they train hard... no understanding of the difference between decent athletes and the best athletes in the world.

Any and every of our current (and all of the ones we've had in recent years) midfielders would produce a bunch of goals and assists in the Scottish League, because thats the difference of playing in the best league in the world and 30th-ish best league in Europe.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Neither is Gilmour. He's in the 90th percentile, amongst midfielders, for progressive passes. But, like Rodri, he rarely gives the ball away.
The problem is, that's it.

Not really good defensively. No goals and almost no assists.

I agree with you completely on his passing BTW but I think we're simply going to be trying to score more goals than the other team this season and a lot will come from winning the high press and scoring in quick transition. QPR the only game so far where we've not scored at least 3.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
O'Riley, Kadioglu, Rutter and this defender from PSV?

I very much doubt we'd get all of them in, yet credible media outlets suggesting we are seriously in for all of them.

Whilst I am not against the signing of quality players, my personal view is that a lot of Chelsea's problems are down to high player turnover and big influxes of new players. I'm a bit cautious about the fact too many new players, regardless of quality, could be a bit unsettling.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I very much doubt we'd get all of them in, yet credible media outlets suggesting we are seriously in for all of them.

Whilst I am not in favour of signing quality players, my personal view is that a lot of Chelsea's problems are down to high player turnover and big influxes of new players. I'm a bit cautious about the fact too many new players, regardless of quality, could be a bit unsettling.
Say what?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

Whilst I am not in favour of signing quality players, my personal view is that a lot of Chelsea's problems are down to high player turnover and big influxes of new players. I'm a bit cautious about the fact too many new players, regardless of quality, could be a bit unsettling.
why are you not in favour of signing quality players? what type do you want?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Im a little in your camp here... Ferdi is an absolute must as full back is a clear space but do we really need more creative midfielders and if we had them would it result in more unhappy players not getting enough game time? It's a niggle in the back of my head which Im drowning out with all the excitement. Still getting used to 'Brighton as a club known and loved all over the world'. Time was Im mentioned Brighton and people said 'who? Why don't you support a REAL team'

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Whilst I am not against the signing of quality players, my personal view is that a lot of Chelsea's problems are down to high player turnover and big influxes of new players. I'm a bit cautious about the fact too many new players, regardless of quality, could be a bit unsettling.
edited ;)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The problem is, that's it.

Not really good defensively. No goals and almost no assists.

I agree with you completely on his passing BTW but I think we're simply going to be trying to score more goals than the other team this season and a lot will come from winning the high press and scoring in quick transition. QPR the only game so far where we've not scored at least 3.

Yeah, it's a trade off: sacrifice control for goals. The question is can MoR be anywhere near as productive in the PL.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I picked those stats to counter the suggestion that Gilmour is a sideways-passing merchant. I assumed that was obvious.

In my previous post, I'd shared more stats highlighting the relative strengths and weaknesses of WBG and O'Riley.
Fair comment :thumbsup:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We have this type of turnover of players every summer.
Before 22/23 - we had Colwill, Enciso, Estupinan, Gilmour, Mitoma, and Undav. (and Ferguson started to become part of the squad)
Last season we had Verbruggen, Ansu Fati, Dahoud, Adingra, Pedro, Igor and Baleba (and Hinshelwood joined squad)
This year we've Wieffer, Minteh, Georginho, Gruda and possibly Kadioglu, O Riley and a.nother. (Dalcouye, ACD are going on loan). its pretty similar to most seasons. Its definitely not Chelsea. Although we still have a lot of trimming/loans to do .

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I know he's much older and not even Scottish but this did remind me of the Jack Harper transfer we did with Madrid for the 'Scottish Messi". He's now playing for Marbella after being on loan at every shite club in the lower leagues of Spain. He's also 29 next year. How time flies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here