Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt O Riley [26/08/24 - sings on a 5-year deal]

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’m not saying Billy is either. In terms on keeping the ball and playing good passes he’s very good at it. Rodri is also a brilliant DM if not the best. It’s rare to find a player who is great at both.

Not many Rodris about. Every team would love to be able to play with a single pivot but it takes a beast of a player

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m not saying Billy is either. In terms on keeping the ball and playing good passes he’s very good at it. Rodri is also a brilliant DM if not the best. It’s rare to find a player who is great at both.
Rodri is double the size of WBG, can score goals and tackle whilst having the same passing ability. That’s why Rodri is world class and WBG will always have to fit in to a certain system rather than being brilliant in any team he plays for.

WBG was one of our best players last year in a system that sort of suited him (he could have done with an enforcer alongside him). This year? I can’t see it but thought he did well at the weekend once we’d got the goals we needed.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
This thread is moving into politics style territory, WBG fans and WBG needs improving on posters. I reckon not a single person on whatever side is going to change their mind.

Big WBG fan here, don’t waste your time trying to convince me that he needs replacing :lolol:

I accept FH may be in the “get rid“ camp, hopefully not

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Being completely honest, how many games did gilmour actually control?

I think he's a good passer but rarely did I watch us last season and think gilmour ran that game.
I think WBG has been one of the first names on the team sheet but that was with a much weaker midfield options but he has not let us down however I tend to agree that rarely was he bossing the midfield and his shooting although better than my own was woeful

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This thread is moving into politics style territory, WBG fans and WBG needs improving on posters. I reckon not a single person on whatever side is going to change their mind.

Big WBG fan here, don’t waste your time trying to convince me that he needs replacing :lolol:

I accept FH may be in the “get rid“ camp, hopefully not
May well be.
Don’t particularly rate, but struggling to see if O’Riley is an improvement

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Rodri is double the size of WBG, can score goals and tackle whilst having the same passing ability. That’s why Rodri is world class and WBG will always have to fit in to a certain system rather than being brilliant in any team he plays for.

WBG was one of our best players last year in a system that sort of suited him (he could have done with an enforcer alongside him). This year? I can’t see it but thought he did well at the weekend once we’d got the goals we needed.
I think this is it, Gilmour is great in a limited role, he isn't an all rounder, that can impose himself on any game.
O Riley is the player I think Moder could be, but isn't yet. Maybe good for Moder to go the other way, to replace O Riley, Celtic could well bring him on.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Also, the Celtic stats were largely against inferior opposition to that faced by Gilmour.
Therein lies the problem. Unless we buy a proven player from the PL (unlikely) or La Liga or to a lesser extent the Bundesliga or Ligue 1, there will always have to be a greater leap of faith. The data is presumably all we have, unless Tony Bloom has another unseen angle!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The best player in a Premier League match i watched yesterday was a young England midfielder who , until he was signed, spent most of last season playing football in the Championship and on the losing side v. the likes of Plymouth, Coventry and Huddersfield.
So all the pearl clutching cos we're after a young midfielder who has been playing and doing well against the likes of Ross County , Kilmarnock and St Mirren doesn't really stand up.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Therein lies the problem. Unless we buy a proven player from the PL (unlikely) or La Liga or to a lesser extent the Bundesliga or Ligue 1, there will always have to be a greater leap of faith. The data is presumably all we have, unless Tony Bloom has another unseen angle!
So should we make a bid for Will Hughes ? - he's a proven centre midfielder for a top 10 PL side ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The best player in a Premier League match i watched yesterday was a young England midfielder who , until he was signed, spent most of last season playing football in the Championship and on the losing side v. the likes of Plymouth, Coventry and Huddersfield.
So all the pearl clutching cos we're after a young midfielder who has been playing and doing well against the likes of Ross County , Kilmarnock and St Mirren doesn't really stand up.
May well do over a course of a season.

Last decent player to come south, VVD?
Any more recent, maybe McGinn? If you like cloggers.

PS - I’d fancy Coventry to beat a lot of the SPL teams

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

And I suppose that is what I’m saying. Billy is great at what he does. In a double pivot next to a real unit he offers a lot. This season in a single pivot I’m not sure myself where he fits in although like you thought he played well when it came down to it over the weekend. Rodri is the complete CM can do all jobs and tbh there isn’t many players like him if any about at the moment.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I do realise that players will leave and be replaced - but this is only normally good (unless you're getting £115M or something) if it means you are upgrading.
I'm not convinced that O'Riley is an upgrade on WBG. Still, perhaps he's taller.............................
If knowing where the goal is can be considered an upgrade then he probably qualifies

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Im a little in your camp here... Ferdi is an absolute must as full back is a clear space but do we really need more creative midfielders and if we had them would it result in more unhappy players not getting enough game time? It's a niggle in the back of my head which Im drowning out with all the excitement. Still getting used to 'Brighton as a club known and loved all over the world'. Time was I mentioned Brighton and people said 'who? Why don't you support a REAL team'
…….true for the first 65 years of my life 🤣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here