Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mats Wieffer SINGS on 5 year contract

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
These are the 25 highest transfer fees paid to Eredivisie clubs. Wieffer would settle into 14th on this list. Will let you decide if these players were any good or not..

Screenshot 2024-06-24 194638.png

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Why does the signing of Roland Bergkamp 13 years ago; under a different manager, a different scouting team and in a different league have any indication on how well this lad will do for us?

Because of the league we signed him from? The same league that’s produced some of the best footballers in Premier League history?

Is there a risk with the signing? Yes. But that’s because there’s a risk with every single signing ever.
Dutch innit

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
so let’s look at it from the recruitment team’s point of view. you’ve found a player who matches the statistical criteria on starlizard’s algorithm. you’ve sent scouts to watch said player, and they’ve come back with glowing reviews, they’ve seen ,in this case, that the player has also performed a a good level in european competition and think the play would suit our squad well. you’ve discussed the signing with coaching staff, they said the player plays in a position we need to recruit for. you start sounding out the player price-wise. barber and bloom reckon the player is within our price range, we we reckon that we can get the player for a price we’re happy with.

and then they abandon the whole thing and move onto another target because the player happens to currently play in a league where we’ve bought a few players for relatively large sums before and they (for a variety of reasons) haven’t worked out? despite signing other players from vastly inferior leagues who’ve gone on to do very well? does that sound at all rational?
Yes it does, as per my above post. Signings from this league very rarely work for any club in the Premier League. It’s easy to have good stats when you’re playing against league 1 opposition every week. Laurence Shankland scored 31 goals for Hearts last year, doesn’t mean I’d sign him for Brighton.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Yes it does, as per my above post. Signings from this league very rarely work for any club in the Premier League. It’s easy to have good stats when you’re playing against league 1 opposition every week. Laurence Shankland scored 31 goals for Hearts last year, doesn’t mean I’d sign him for Brighton.
yes i can’t deny that football history is littered with tons of eredivisie flops. but if we’re saying there’s no chance that a signing from the eredivise will work out, then i’d just point to the likes of suarez, eriksen, de jong, bony, kudus, de ligt, janmaat, propper, van persie or gakpo who have worked out, are probably going to, or have done okay for they money those clubs paid.

if you’re instead saying, which i gather you are, that it’s a risk signing players from a league that is vastly inferior to the premier league, then yeah, fair enough. but then it comes down to: do you trust the recruitment team? bearing in mind it’s very different people working there now to when we signed jahanbakhsh and locadia? personally i do.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
These are the 25 highest transfer fees paid to Eredivisie clubs. Wieffer would settle into 14th on this list. Will let you decide if these players were any good or not..

View attachment 184628
Thanks for this, really helpful saved me the job. As the conversation is about adaptability from the Dutch league to the Premier League, let’s analyse those players…

- Antony, useless waste of space
- Lisandro Martinez, good on his day, forever injured. When fit, good player admittedly
- Kudus, good signing
- Gakpo, doing ok
- Davinson Sanchez, rubbish, booed by his own fans
- Ziyech, poor, waste of money
- Van de Beek, forgot he existed, terrible
- Alvarez, decent signing
- Sangaré, bang average at best
- Madueke, bang average at best
- Depay, poor
- Bergwijn, even worse
- Klaasen, horrendous
- Suarez, best of the bunch.

So of those players, €657million worth of players. We have Suarez, Kudus, Alvarez for good and Martinez and Gakpo for ok. The rest? Poor. It’s not a chance I’d be taking.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Thanks for this, really helpful saved me the job. As the conversation is about adaptability from the Dutch league to the Premier League, let’s analyse those players…

- Lisandro Martinez, good on his day, forever injured. When fit, good player admittedly
- Kudus, good signing
- Gakpo, doing ok
- Van de Beek, forgot his existed, terrible
- Depay, poor
- Bergwijn, even worse
- Klaasen, horrendous

So of those players, €657million worth of players. We have Suarez, Kudus, Alvarez for good and Martinez and Gakpo for ok. The rest? Poor. It’s not a chance I’d be taking.
There is a club issue here of course, Antony, de Beek, Depay all struggled at United; Bergwijn and Sanchez at Spurs, both of whom were going through turmoil. On the other hand West Ham and Liverpool seem to have got a lot out of their players from Holland.

Of course we had this exact conversation a year ago when we were trying to buy Kudus, and a lot of people were relieved we didn't sign him fore the Eredivisie reason.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

- Kudus, good signing
- Gakpo, doing ok
- Depay, poor
- Bergwijn, even worse
- Klaasen, horrendous

Have to agree again Van Nistelrooy was good as well….
Martinez a bit meh for me currently, not poor but at the same point as Gakpo, promise nothing more…..

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London

- Kudus, good signing
- Gakpo, doing ok
- Depay, poor
- Bergwijn, even worse
- Klaasen, horrendous

Bit harsh on Madueke, who passes the eye test if you ask me but he's still developing as a player.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
There is a club issue here of course, Antony, de Beek, Depay all struggled at United; Bergwijn and Sanchez at Spurs, both of whom were going through turmoil. On the other hand West Ham and Liverpool seem to have got a lot out of their players from Holland.

Of course we had this exact conversation a year ago when we were trying to buy Kudus, and a lot of people were relieved we didn't sign him fore the Eredivisie reason.
Yet Martinez doing ok. The others are just poor players who looked good in a terrible league

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I can see both sides on this one, I understand those who say that you rely on your scouting team and you can’t possibly assign an entire national league’s worth of players to the bin because the league standard is bobbins. On the other hand, I look at the list provided, and Suarez is the only player on that list who for me really had a sustained career at the top level.

Bergwijn is even on the list twice to try and pad it out a bit (I’m assuming had two big transfers)

I don’t think it’s completely irrational to get the fear when we say that we’re going to spend £30 million on a player from the Dutch league.

Is it entirely rational? No, but I feel like that list strengthens @BevBHA’s argument more than those arguing against.

I hope our scouting on this one is thorough, and we’ve seen the player against European opposition, not just in domestic matches.

Another concern is that @Zeberdi seemed to think he was prone to late lunge challenges. If he’s doing that in the Dutch league, he’ll hit the player behind the one he was aiming for in the Premier League.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
I think judging a player from the Dutch league on how they played at Man Utd or Chelsea is a fool's game. Genuinely world class players have failed at those two batsh!t clubs

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I can see both sides on this one, I understand those who say that you rely on your scouting team and you can’t possibly assign an entire national league’s worth of players to the bin because the league standard is bobbins. On the other hand, I look at the list provided, and Suarez is the only player on that list who for me really had a sustained career at the top level.

Bergwijn is even on the list twice to try and pad it out a bit (I’m assuming had two big transfers)

I don’t think it’s completely irrational to get the fear when we say that we’re going to spend £30 million on a player from the Dutch league.

Is it entirely rational? No, but I feel like that list strengthens @BevBHA’s argument more than those arguing against.

I hope our scouting on this one is thorough, and we’ve seen the player against European opposition, not just in domestic matches.

Another concern is that @Zeberdi seemed to think he was prone to late lunge challenges. If he’s doing that in the Dutch league, he’ll hit the player behind the one he was aiming for in the Premier League.
Apparently we’ve been tracking him for 18 months. He’s made the Dutch National team like Bart. He's been linked to AC Milan and bigger Premier League teams than us.
Of course, every signing is a risk but we signed Mitoma from the J League and Adingra from the Danish League albeit both had a season in Belgium. They are hardly the strongest leagues, but have done pretty well.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’d be just as confident signing a player from the Eredivisie as I would be from the Bundesliga or Serie A. The league that transfers best to the Premier League is Ligue 1, apart from that, much of a muchness.

If not dumb to say we should never sign a player from Eredivisie, it certainly shows a lack of understanding of how scouting and football data analysis works.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Have to agree again Van Nistelrooy was good as well….
Martinez a bit meh for me currently, not poor but at the same point as Gakpo, promise nothing more…..
Have to differ on Martinez who is a fantastic all-round CB, quick, aggressive, really good in the air for his height, and one of the best around on the ball. Rate Gakpo too. We'll just have to agree on RvN :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here