Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mats Wieffer SINGS on 5 year contract

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Looks like a centre back when you see his size.

But has a lot more in his locker than just interceptions, defensive workrate and defensive aerial duals.

IMG_5043.png

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
We’ve learned the hard way about big fees for Dutch league players on 2 occasions now, I’d like to think we’re no where near those sorts of numbers if indeed we are interested
Is it not more a case that goal/assist rates often don’t translate well to the PL? Our hit rate for defensive/midfield players from the Eredivisie is generally pretty decent, regardless of the size of fee.

(I’m aware there’s an argument these same defensive players contribute towards the aforementioned inflated goal/assist rates, but we seem to know who the outliers are..)

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Looks the kind of profile we need.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Point backed up! Low risk, small fees, less pressure and worked well.

The two high fees, high risk, high expectations didn’t work at all well

Davy Propper is surely evidence that we can get a decent player for a lot of money from the Dutch League. He was our record signing when he joined.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
He seems a very competent, developing and positionally flexible midfielder so a ‘typical’ Brighton mid-level target but he’s not ready to step straight in and carry out the CB/CDM combination in the way Smith did at FCSP - not without a bit more development and training imo.

My concern is his 1:2:1‘s with attackers - although he looks good on paper with aerial duels, on the ground he seems to concede a lot of fouls with aggressive, late tackles (which is definitely not something you want to see in your CBs) and has trouble facing more agile attackers than him with better dribbling skills. This will cause problems I think when facing some of the high attacking teams in the EPL. Where he is very strong is in his positional awareness, one touch short passing and creating space which are great skills for a pivot.

£36m for him seems a bit high to me - £30m maybe.

A good analysis here - probably more informative than a promo video on youtube at least

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
36M Euros so closer to 30M quid? If SOME of it was performance based I could see that fee being about right. Clubs won't sell to us without PL Premium.

Exactly the type of player we shirly need and not a household name who'd expect much higher than we could pay. Please make it happen!

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
36M Euros so closer to 30M quid? If SOME of it was performance based I could see that fee being about right. Clubs won't sell to us without PL Premium.

Exactly the type of player we shirly need and not a household name who'd expect much higher than we could pay. Please make it happen!
ah - euros.

I misread the earlier comment as being 36 million in sterling. Hence me saying £30m would be a better asking price :sneaky:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here