Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mats Wieffer SINGS on 5 year contract

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Interesting, is this where you see him fitting into the set up?

I had in mind he would be primarily a midfielder (meaning, you'd probably want another defender than you have) and he's be doing a role a little more like the one Bissouma did for us. Baleba would then become an understudy

I guess we'll all have to wait and see
I thought so too. I presume that a team selected today would be

Verbruggen

JPVH Dunk Igor/Webster

Hinsh Wieffer Gross Barco

Minteh Pedro Mitoma

Jimmy Grimble

That ball recoveries stat is very good news. No one was doing that effectively last season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Strength of league the Dutch are recognised as 8th in the world by the IFFHS.

I don’t think you can draw to much into an individual performance, I mean we had some significant success from recruiting within the 11th best league in the world.

We had some mishaps from the Dutch league but I’d argue the quality of their league wasn’t the reason it didn’t work out

8th is pretty poor (appreciate there are a lot worse), if you are playing in the second best.

I would argue it played a significant part. If you play somewhere with more time, at a slower pace and with less intensity, of course you can look good.

Even in this country, you can see the difference between divisions, other leagues are no different. AJ was fantastic in that league, as was Depuy and numerous others, they could not cut it in the PL.

Of course there are exceptions, but for me it’s more the norm….

All opinions.

Edit - by the way, excellent link, thanks for posting that 😃

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting, is this where you see him fitting into the set up?

I had in mind he would be primarily a midfielder (meaning, you'd probably want another defender than you have) and he's be doing a role a little more like the one Bissouma did for us. Baleba would then become an understudy

I guess we'll all have to wait and see
I don’t think he has the dynamism or mobility of a Bissouma or Caicedo. I think Lewis Dunk is a much better comparison. Same height. Same aerial prowess. Same good passing ability and vision.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I hope Pascal stays. This has been looking more likely in recent days. If he does, he surely plays the CAM position which would allow him to go for a record goals/assists season for us.

Wieffer slots straight into the back 3 for me although will be the CDM pivot when we have possession.

If we sign no more 1st players are signed and assume that players currently injured, won’t be back for the Everton game, I think this is how we’ll set-up:

————————Verbruggen —————————

———Van Hecke——Wieffer———Dunk————

Lamptey——Gilmour———Groß-————Barco

——Minteh————-Pedro——-Adingra————
Lamptey the weak link here for me. Just doesn’t have the crossing / end product. Also hoping Mitoma will be fit to start!

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I do have a concern about Wee Billy.

Wieffer obviously moves into the midfield as a deep lying playmaker when we have possession buts that is what Wee Billy is good at. The other two central midfield positions got a lot of goals and assists in Hürzeler’s St Pauli set-up. Can Wee Billy sit higher up and actually contribute to our goal scoring? Like Moder, if we don’t have a midfielder who is capable of bagging regular goals and assists, perhaps Wee Billy could be moved on?
I think WBG is a great squad option but I agree we still need one more CM. I think the club agree as well - I think the intention was KDH AND this fella, not OR.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don’t think he has the dynamism or mobility of a Bissouma or Caicedo. I think Lewis Dunk is a much better comparison. Same height. Same aerial prowess. Same good passing ability and vision.
So you're seeing him as primarily centre back, who you could put in midfield, rather than the other way round.

OK, I've got no particular knowledge or preference on this one, but I like to imagine line ups, so i'll imagine one or two with him in that position, and I guess we'll see what happens

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That is the understatement of the year!! In all my years of watching BHA live, I've never seen a pile-driver struck like that one before.

What a goal.

We sit in the East, but for that game we were right behind the goal. Gutted it was disallowed.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Lamptey the weak link here for me. Just doesn’t have the crossing / end product. Also hoping Mitoma will be fit to start!

Tariq's crossing is actually quite good, his finishing not so much.

Per 90 minutes played his assist stats are identical to Pascal Gross.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
8th is pretty poor (appreciate there are a lot worse), if you are playing in the second best.

I would argue it played a significant part. If you play somewhere with more time, at a slower pace and with less intensity, of course you can look good.

Even in this country, you can see the difference between divisions, other leagues are no different. AJ was fantastic in that league, as was Depuy and numerous others, they could not cut it in the PL.

Of course there are exceptions, but for me it’s more the norm….

All opinions.
Points taken

I would counter that I don’t think a league can define a player though. You can only play in the surroundings presented to you at that time. There could be players playing at their maximum who shine and also players playing at 75% of their ability who equally are performing but also not at their ceiling

Here’s a list of recent exports from the Eredivisie, sure there have been failures (mostly man United related) but I’d argue the majority have worked out. (Our new boy is #19 on value)

Veltman has been solid despite reservations from the Ajax fan base that he’s error prone when he left.

The DJ and AJ I feel had actually peaked in their breakout seasons but our model thought there was more to come and there wasn’t sadly. We will never know why, be it a lack of confidence, not integrating with the squad, not settling or simply not being able to step up.

It’s a mixed bag like most of the leagues in the world, I wouldn’t dismiss a player based on league though. I’d like to think our data science guys actually looked at why Big Jurg and AJ didn’t work out and maybe finessed the model if there was something in the data set(s) that we had interpreted wrong.

Could have just been unlucky but I bet we analysed these two that didn’t work out in great detail to avoid a mistaken assumption again (if there was actually one)

1720262783064.png

Attachments

• 1720262661035.png
    1720262661035.png
    1 MB · Views: 36

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here