Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mats Wieffer SINGS on 5 year contract

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactly the position we needed to strengthen in. Encourages me further we’ll play decent football.

Yes, the Errdivisie is a bit of a risk historically, but he’s a Dutch international rather than Danny Holla.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He lost his rag when we wouldn’t buy what he wanted in January……think the relationship was doomed from then onwards. Probably fuming as he sees us bringing in exactly what we need (as we were always going to do :shrug: )
Other than RDZ would want to bring in his own choices - which would have been a ‘mare. This guy seems to be bought into our philosophy. More exciting times ahead.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Exactly the position we needed to strengthen in. Encourages me further we’ll play decent football.

Yes, the Errdivisie is a bit of a risk historically, but he’s a Dutch international rather than Danny Holla.
Not concerned about signing from Eredivisie at all, it’s just an NSC myth. We signed two players from La Liga and Bundesliga last season and both were a disaster. A lot of PL signings from Bundesliga fail, as many as from Eredivisie.

Really pleased with this, seems an excellent fit.

Feyenoord fans have got to be pissed though. Historically big club who had a good season and they’ve just lost their manager, Minteh’s not going back and now Wieffer sold.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Think he’s going to fit like a glove. He mentions in his interview what he does; number 6, one touch passing and transitioning the defence forward. I like his height and physicality, talk of winning duels. The highlights show very well what he does.

Really promising. I just hope it’s him playing alongside Pascal, not his replacement

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
V happy this is official. Getting really excited for the new season now.

Bouncing round with that snollebollekes earworm going through my head.

Duh deduh dederder derdi duh deduh deduh
Duh deduh dederder derdi duh deduh deduh
Naar links! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Naar rechts! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

(*Metaphorically bouncing. I'm still in bed.)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Will have to see…

@Farehamseagull , appreciate you have better knowledge than myself on European football, but based on what I’ve seen over there and here, I simply don’t rate the Dutch league.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not concerned about signing from Eredivisie at all, it’s just an NSC myth. We signed two players from La Liga and Bundesliga last season and both were a disaster. A lot of PL signings from Bundesliga fail, as many as from Eredivisie.

Really pleased with this, seems an excellent fit.

Feyenoord fans have got to be pissed though. Historically big club who had a good season and they’ve just lost their manager, Minteh’s not going back and now Wieffer sold.
I don’t think Holla, Manu, Ali J and Locadia are NSC myths.

Equally, Veltman is our second best value signing ever after Gross.

This feels like another Veltman though. Very happy with it and hopefully he’ll be FH’s Bridcutt.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don’t think Holla, Manu, Ali J and Locadia are NSC myths.

Equally, Veltman is our second best value signing ever after Gross.

This feels like another Veltman though. Very happy with it and hopefully he’ll be FH’s Bridcutt.
Agree.

I always forget about Manu….. probably with good reason.
He was appalling.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Indeed. If Malcoube or whatever his name is comes in and a right back we are laughing. I wonder what de zerbi was hearing that he couldn't get on board with. What an exciting team developing.
Interesting about De Zerbi - I wonder if he was told that we would strengthen the squad in the summer and that he should be patient. Or, maybe he wasn’t told at all and that led to the parting of the ways. Water under the bridge.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Will have to see…

@Farehamseagull , appreciate you have better knowledge than myself on European football, but based on what I’ve seen over there and here, I simply don’t rate the Dutch league.

Strength of league the Dutch are recognised as 8th in the world by the IFFHS.

I don’t think you can draw to much into an individual performance, I mean we had some significant success from recruiting within the 11th best league in the world.

We had some mishaps from the Dutch league but I’d argue the quality of their league wasn’t the reason it didn’t work out

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Interesting about De Zerbi - I wonder if he was told that we would strengthen the squad in the summer and that he should be patient. Or, maybe he wasn’t told at all and that led to the parting of the ways. Water under the bridge.
It's pretty common knowledge now surely - RDZ wanted to sign established players with limited resale value to have a proper go and in turn boost his cred, we wanted to stick to our mix of youth and experienced heads that got us to this point. It's not really a puzzler.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Think he’s going to fit like a glove. He mentions in his interview what he does; number 6, one touch passing and transitioning the defence forward. I like his height and physicality, talk of winning duels. The highlights show very well what he does.

Really promising. I just hope it’s him playing alongside Pascal, not his replacement
I hope Pascal stays. This has been looking more likely in recent days. If he does, he surely plays the CAM position which would allow him to go for a record goals/assists season for us.

Wieffer slots straight into the back 3 for me although will be the CDM pivot when we have possession.

If we sign no more 1st players are signed and assume that players currently injured, won’t be back for the Everton game, I think this is how we’ll set-up:

————————Verbruggen —————————

———Van Hecke——Wieffer———Dunk————

Lamptey——Gilmour———Groß-————Barco

——Minteh————-Pedro——-Adingra————

papachris

We've been tracking these players for a long time so Albion eould have hoped to sign them whoever the coach was. I think DeZerbi ruined it for himself with his behaviour in the second half of the season. Otherwise he would still be here with the new team developing

Last edited:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I hope Pascal stays. This has been looking more likely in recent days. If he does, he surely plays the CAM position which would allow him to go for a record goals/assists season for us.

Wieffer slots straight into the back 3 for me although will be the CDM pivot when we have possession.

If we sign no more 1st players are signed and assume that players currently injured, won’t be back for the Everton game, I think this is how we’ll set-up:

————————Verbruggen —————————

———Van Hecke——Wieffer———Dunk————

Lamptey——Gilmour———Groß-————Barco

——Minteh————-Pedro——-Adingra————
That midfield is about 5’ 6’ if they all stood on each others shoulders….. Anyway Hinch will be ready, Mitoma also likely.
Barco will be in Paris.
If we go into a season with G&G as our CMs then we’re not finishing top 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here