Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Maths question

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
It's really badly written, but I agree with everyone else that the answer is 24°.
I'd like to see the workings for their incorrect answer.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
OK, we've solved that one. Next?

5. What colour is this dress?

220px-The_Dress_%28viral_phenomenon%29.png

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed.

The answer given is 29. Now for the last hour a lot of work colleagues, Asahi UK, have looked at it and my daughter, a teacher and we believe not only is it a badly written question the answer is wrong, unless we are all missing something.

Regardless of how badly the question is worded, 29 is the wrong answer!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Apart from being badly written, if it was as a creativity of thought question it is a good question. In life you get lots of irrelevant facts, so the answer is ignore them and google the answer and find temperature (but Australia is a continent sized country so there is no one answer). Mathematically it is poor, doesn’t state when the coldest time was, is the temperature rise linear, when is now etc, what are weather factors (is it cloudy, storm front, wind)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Somebody please tell me How did they arrive at 29

My work colleague lives near Leeds and his son goes to the local school. So it's upt'north this is probably the answer. As he said they always add 4 degrees to the actual weather as it's grim up there.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Actually, looking at it again, it's a grammatical error. 'Was' (past tense) can't be used in that context with 'now'.(present tense) - so it's either 'What is the temperature now' - in which case the answer is google it (unless you are in Sydney and have a thermometer), or - as it should have been, 'What was the temperature THEN'! .............. which would have been fine.

... but the answer still wouldn't be bloody 29 though!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well lush

[tweet]1349023330431545345[/tweet]

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Actually, looking at it again, it's a grammatical error. 'Was' (past tense) can't be used in that context with 'now'.(present tense) - so it's either 'What is the temperature now' - in which case the answer is google it (unless you are in Sydney and have a thermometer), or - as it should have been, 'What was the temperature THEN'! .............. which would have been fine.

... but the answer still wouldn't be bloody 29 though!

It was a bigger error than that - it was supposed to read "Think of a number..."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here