Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Maths question

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's actually a really good way of pointing out to kids that you need to read the whole question before diving in with both feet and then having to go back and fix your answer. If you have time.

I remember being given the same test when I was at school. Looking round the room and seeing some kids furiously writing, and my mate (as I was) leaning back in his chair looking smug.

It makes you think. "Read the whole thing before trying to answer". Which is a good lesson for life, not just exams.

Yes, that was the point of it. I did get it right but probably only due to my dad telling about him having a test like that once when he was at the same school 25 year earlier

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The curriculum doesn't contain any questions. This question is posed by the teacher in order to teach the curriculum (badly) :)

yes , quite ...having put both our kids through private school we are currently wondering wtf we actually paid for ....one of them has gone one to be a nurse the other one is on the 3rd year of her teaching degree , some of the projects she has to do are mindblowingly irrelevant ....neither of then could tell you what the capital of Russia is and seem to have an abundance of completely useless information and a train of thought that leaves me , frankly , bemused.:moo:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
yes , quite ...having put both our kids through private school we are currently wondering wtf we actually paid for ....one of them has gone one to be a nurse the other one is on the 3rd year of her teaching degree , some of the projects she has to do are mindblowingly irrelevant ....neither of then could tell you what the capital of Russia is and seem to have an abundance of completely useless information and a train of thought that leaves me , frankly , bemused.:moo:

The general knowledge especially geography is so poor, it's not taught at all these days. I remember my step son, aged 10 at the time, doing his maths homework. Reasonably simple sums, however the teacher wanted them to use a weird method of getting the result. I'm very good at maths with high level of qualification. It confused me though the results I good easily do just by looking at the question. Next day I went into the school to chat with his teacher. I asked why this method was being used, her reply was so the children understand there's various methods to achieve the result. Fine but this way was some mathematicians dreamt up confusing rubbish that no sane person would ever use. When I said all I wanted my son to learn was the easiest correct way of getting the result, she couldn't get it. Maths hasn't changed 1+1=2 why dream up these stupid ideas. It confuses the hell out children and their parents. That was 19 years ago so don't know if it's now back to simple maths.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
When my little darling were in school, I had a fairly heated argument with a teacher who was barely out of school herself. A question posed was a seven sided figure, I told my offspring it was a septagon. This silly bitch of a 'teacher' had never heard of it!! The patronising cow wouldn't accept written proof of this 'archaic' word and insisted it was and has always been a heptagon. I summoned an audience with the head teacher to explain why she was employing idiots. I was informed they have to follow a certain curriculum.
This is why our kids are getting dumber, as long as their index finger can hit the right button

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The general knowledge especially geography is so poor, it's not taught at all these days. I remember my step son, aged 10 at the time, doing his maths homework. Reasonably simple sums, however the teacher wanted them to use a weird method of getting the result. I'm very good at maths with high level of qualification. It confused me though the results I good easily do just by looking at the question. Next day I went into the school to chat with his teacher. I asked why this method was being used, her reply was so the children understand there's various methods to achieve the result. Fine but this way was some mathematicians dreamt up confusing rubbish that no sane person would ever use. When I said all I wanted my son to learn was the easiest correct way of getting the result, she couldn't get it. Maths hasn't changed 1+1=2 why dream up these stupid ideas. It confuses the hell out children and their parents. That was 19 years ago so don't know if it's now back to simple maths.

1+1=2 is arithmetic.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
1+1=2 is arithmetic.

Yes i should have used paragraphs haha. I'll also add (see what I done there) I remember now it was multiplication sums he was asked to complete.

FAILED See me after lessons

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

yes......that's it ,needless confusion ...totally needless and counterproductive , it's producing a generation of , well , confused kids ........it's more important to be totally aware of your gender "options" than it is to arm yourself with the knowledge to go out and make a decent go of it in everyday life .....:mad:

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Strange. I've worked it out several times now, and the only answer I come up with is 29.
No idea how anyone can get 24 or 39. :shrug:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Here is Australia I can confirm that we are teaching this myriad of different ways to solve problems. I can also confirm that it does confuse the shit out of a lot of kids. This is mainly because we haven't been given enough time to teach any of the methods effectively.

Tick the box teaching means we are supposed to move on regardless of if kids have actually learned what we have taught. What we invariably find is that students have learned a sort of mishmash of strategies that usually result in the wrong answer.

Trouble is, the teachers always cop the flack for this shit but most of us are more frustrated with the situation than anyone because we can see how stupid it is.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
yes......that's it ,needless confusion ...totally needless and counterproductive , it's producing a generation of , well , confused kids ........it's more important to be totally aware of your gender "options" than it is to arm yourself with the knowledge to go out and make a decent go of it in everyday life .....:mad:

It's important to know if you want to be he, she, they, them, it as then you can plan which reality show is open to you.

Last edited:

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
When my little darling were in school, I had a fairly heated argument with a teacher who was barely out of school herself. A question posed was a seven sided figure, I told my offspring it was a septagon. This silly bitch of a 'teacher' had never heard of it!! The patronising cow wouldn't accept written proof of this 'archaic' word and insisted it was and has always been a heptagon. I summoned an audience with the head teacher to explain why she was employing idiots. I was informed they have to follow a certain curriculum.
This is why our kids are getting dumber, as long as their index finger can hit the right button

The standard term for a 7-sided shape is, and always has been, "Heptagon". Septagon is a bastardisation between the Latin "Sept" and Greek "-gon".

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Strange. I've worked it out several times now, and the only answer I come up with is 29.
No idea how anyone can get 24 or 39. :shrug:

Go on then – show your working out...

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I live in Sydney and can confirm as of 10 minutes ago at 11.16.pm it was indeed exactly 24C

Sydney Temperature.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here