Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Maths question

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Its a trick question.
We are supposed to assume that Sydney is the city but Sydney is actually the name of a gentleman on holiday in Australia.
The temperature is not too Sydneys liking so he has flown home to the UK and so the temperature now is exactly what it is now in the UK.
Or it's a very poorly worded question.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Are we sure it was a maths question? And you weren't just stopped to Google the current weather?

We had one like this when I was in secondary school and they handed us a random set of questions but at the top it said, read all questions and instructions before answering any in very large writing.Sure enough at the very end it said " write your name on the top of the answer sheet and leave the rest of the document blank"

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are we sure it was a maths question? And you weren't just stopped to Google the current weather?

We had one like this when I was in secondary school and they handed us a random set of questions but at the top it said, read all questions and instructions before answering any in very large writing.Sure enough at the very end it said " write your name on the top of the answer sheet and leave the rest of the document blank"

Blimey, that one takes me back a bit!

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Marking-free busywork. It's the secondary school equivalent of Sleeping Lions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed.

The answer given is 29. Now for the last hour a lot of work colleagues, Asahi UK, have looked at it and my daughter, a teacher and we believe not only is it a badly written question the answer is wrong, unless we are all missing something.

I can understand 39, but not 29.

Dec 29, 2011
Apart from being badly written, if it was as a creativity of thought question it is a good question. In life you get lots of irrelevant facts, so the answer is ignore them and google the answer and find temperature (but Australia is a continent sized country so there is no one answer). Mathematically it is poor, doesn’t state when the coldest time was, is the temperature rise linear, when is now etc, what are weather factors (is it cloudy, storm front, wind)

Actually Australia is a continent

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
anyway , all that aside , you can see why there are so many dumb kids around if their curriculum contains pearls of questions such as this .......it would appear that that is an un answerable question , " what was the temperature now ....??":mad:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
An item is priced at £30 + VAT ; VAT is 20% for this item
In the sale, it is being offered with a 20% discount

If you were charged £30 would you be happy?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No should be 28.80

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
24c. Assuming 10am the following morning is now and we are not working on EST.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
mid 30's yesterday and today old boy , there were 2 days over 40 degs last week , not much fun when you're working in it.

in Perth ...:)

I'd sooner have 40 degrees in Perth than 25 degrees in Cairns.

The tropical heat was worst. I could deal with 40 degrees in a dry climate. The tropics were sapping.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
anyway , all that aside , you can see why there are so many dumb kids around if their curriculum contains pearls of questions such as this .......it would appear that that is an un answerable question , " what was the temperature now ....??":mad:

The curriculum doesn't contain any questions. This question is posed by the teacher in order to teach the curriculum (badly) :)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Marking-free busywork. It's the secondary school equivalent of Sleeping Lions.
It's actually a really good way of pointing out to kids that you need to read the whole question before diving in with both feet and then having to go back and fix your answer. If you have time.

I remember being given the same test when I was at school. Looking round the room and seeing some kids furiously writing, and my mate (as I was) leaning back in his chair looking smug.

It makes you think. "Read the whole thing before trying to answer". Which is a good lesson for life, not just exams.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That question is horrifically worded btw. And the answer can't be 29 unless it's a stupid trick.

I.e. What's the temperature now,? Look it up on Google. But then the rest is irrelevant and it's got **** all to do with maths.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here