Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matchday Travel From The Amex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They said at my recent presentation that Southern Rail was being consulted and will likely be adding special trains on match days with more carriages per train, and at more regular intervals.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Based on the fact that Falmer has a very small station and a short platform I too can see it being a bit of a nightmare getting away. I too am concerned about this. Of course this is worth it because we will have a new stadium. However, that does not stop there being concerns about how quickly we will be able to get out and away from the stadium. Especially for those of us who do not live locally. I'm sure everyone would prefer a beautiful stadium AS WELL AS being able to get away quickly.

You need to chill out.

What do you consider to be a short platform? The platform at Falmer is long enough for 8 carriage trains to open the doors on 7 carriages.

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Could always sleepover!?
200163997-001.jpg

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
They said at my recent presentation that Southern Rail was being consulted and will likely be adding special trains on match days with more carriages per train, and at more regular intervals.

I'm sure thats the case - we'd have never got a stadium if the exit of the people it holds was less than appropriate in time scale and safety. It is a valid question to make, as not everyone on here was all ears throughout every stage of the planning/objection/conjecture stages....

Last edited:

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Went to a talk at Brighton Uni hosted by R Hebberd about this last year. I'll try dig out the power point slides at work tomorrow and put the info up. From memory they were hoping people would hang around after the game and have some drinks to ease congestion. The slides detailed how many fans they thought would use each mode of transport.
Bus
Train
Kiss and drop
Taxi

Etc etc

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Surely trains carrymore than 200? Each carriage with 2x2 seating has 64 seats, 2x3 seating you can make that 80. Then easy 10 standing in each doorway, plus say another 10 in the aisle, that's 110 per carriage, how many carriages can Falmer station platform take? Apologies if it's only 2 carriages, I'm not familiar with the station.

As for the crux of the question, whether it will be a nightmare or not, well I do t think so, at all, it's a football ground, it always takes a while to get out of them, bus, train or car, if we're going to get 20k+ then we just have to accept it will take a bit longer to leave, just like it is at any stadium that gets crowds of that size. I guess it depends on what you call a nightmare, for me, a queue leaving a stadium is part and parcel of it, really don't see Falmer being any different.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Please move to the far side to prevent tilting...

LMAO - actually had that happen when we flew from Orlando to The Bahamas. We were in a small light plane with 18 seats, and the pilot came from behind the curtain and asked two huge fat blokes not to sit on the same side of the plane :laugh:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
LMAO - actually had that happen when we flew from Orlando to The Bahamas. We were in a small light plane with 18 seats, and the pilot came from behind the curtain and asked two huge fat blokes not to sit on the same side of the plane :laugh:

Oh dear :lol: :lol:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surely trains carrymore than 200? Each carriage with 2x2 seating has 64 seats, 2x3 seating you can make that 80. Then easy 10 standing in each doorway, plus say another 10 in the aisle, that's 110 per carriage, how many carriages can Falmer station platform take? Apologies if it's only 2 carriages, I'm not familiar with the station.

As for the crux of the question, whether it will be a nightmare or not, well I do t think so, at all, it's a football ground, it always takes a while to get out of them, bus, train or car, if we're going to get 20k+ then we just have to accept it will take a bit longer to leave, just like it is at any stadium that gets crowds of that size. I guess it depends on what you call a nightmare, for me, a queue leaving a stadium is part and parcel of it, really don't see Falmer being any different.

You miss the fact that on Saturdays the trains are already full.

I share your concerns A v S. Im already planning to move closer to the stadium but it IS still going to be a nightmare. Really can't see many people wanting to stay after an evening game, and they're generally the only ones that I drink at...

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I don't know why everybody is so focused on the train.

The club are obliged to provide 2200 car parking spaces within a certain distance of the ground. If the club put measures in to achieve high vehicle occupancy then this has the realistic potential to provide transport for nearly a third of a capacity crowd.

If you look at the plans of the site on the planning application and study the coach and bus interchange there are 58 coaches/buses parked in it. I think it is fair to assume that the club have built such a large coach park for a reason and this coupled with the fact that they are encouraging people to travel with Stagedoor suggests coach travel will figure quite largely in the transport plan.

In addition I looked at a bus timetable and counted 17 services in easy walking distance in the hour after a match, and that was not including Big Lemon services. I think it's pretty likely that B&H buses will add additional services on match days.

There will also be 220 cycle spaces at the ground and if these prove popular I can't imagine it will be difficult to add more.

I'm sure a few hundred people probably live within walking distance. Some people will be dropped off. Some people will use the park and rides.

It will be ok.

Many people may think they will catch the train at the moment, but people will soon switch if this is involves horrendous queues and there are alternatives.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Im not sure everyone is focussed on the train, i was more focussed on the car parking, however it is the unknown of what it will be like, its human nature to ask questions of the unknown.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Weekday matches will be an absolute mayhem. Public transport can't possibly cope. f*** it, who cares, I'll just walk back into town same as ten thousand other people will have to do :shrug:

Especially as Westons Organic probably isn't on the drinks list for the Amex, eh Tom. Yes, it might be a bit of a mare on weekdays, though there is the 25 as well as the train, which actually goes into the city centre, and that is surely why the club has got together with Stage Door Travel to offer coaches from across Sussex. A large number of the current train passengers must be people coming from all over Sussex.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I don't know why everybody is so focused on the train.

The club are obliged to provide 2200 car parking spaces within a certain distance of the ground. If the club put measures in to achieve high vehicle occupancy then this has the realistic potential to provide transport for nearly a third of a capacity crowd.

If you look at the plans of the site on the planning application and study the coach and bus interchange there are 58 coaches/buses parked in it. I think it is fair to assume that the club have built such a large coach park for a reason and this coupled with the fact that they are encouraging people to travel with Stagedoor suggests coach travel will figure quite largely in the transport plan.

In addition I looked at a bus timetable and counted 17 services in easy walking distance in the hour after a match, and that was not including Big Lemon services. I think it's pretty likely that B&H buses will add additional services on match days.

There will also be 220 cycle spaces at the ground and if these prove popular I can't imagine it will be difficult to add more.

I'm sure a few hundred people probably live within walking distance. Some people will be dropped off. Some people will use the park and rides.

It will be ok.

Many people may think they will catch the train at the moment, but people will soon switch if this is involves horrendous queues and there are alternatives.

Sorry Uter, you beat me to it.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Unbelievable some reactions. It was merely a question about the plans in place, and to be honest more about the midweek evening games rather than the saturday fixtures as work the next day is more of a driving factor to wanting to get home afterwards.

Yeah, what an unbelievable reaction! No, it wasn't merely a question about the plans in place, I'll say again, you said it will be a nightmare to leave. Simple as. The implication being that the club have no viable and workable plans - well definately none that you know about. Let me emphasis again what I'm getting at and I'll up the stakes this time, so f*cking what if it takes 40mins extra to get home from a game at the Amex? Does that constitute a nightmare, or is it a small price to pay for having one of the best grounds in the country? I know what my answer to that would be. I can't wait for the first evening game, hopefully you moaning gits will stay at home, that way the rest of us will get out just nicely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here