Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match day burger van told to shut shop .

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Either that, or you are 13 and have never actually been to ANY other ground.

no im 47 was in cattering for 20 years plus and cant really name one ground that serves up more utter shite food than us and ive been to loads of grounds f*** me the food at lancings ground is better[/QUOTE]

'Cattering'. Love it!!!!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

tooting2

Mar 26, 2011
lancing
I can't name a ground that serves better, tbh.

What is it that you want, that you are not getting? Would you rather have pukka pies, microwaved in their plastic, for the full soggy-pie football experience?

Is the bottled Amex pepsi, somehow different to the pepsi at Cheltenham or Scunthorpe?

I don't get it. Just seems like moaning for the sake of it, to me.

yer bit of a moan i suppose but dont think im alone think i can recall at least one or two threads on nsc about the standard of catering at the ground but hey if you feel its top notch carry on

its just my opinion the club should do better regards to the catering if you dont agree i dont give a shit.................lol

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
NOTHING TO WITH HE CLUB OR THE STADIUM. !!!! Its a dispuite between a trader and the council. He has "an army of football fans ready to fight his corner". Not the best analogy. Anyone know which council has objected. Coudn't be Lewes DC by any chance???

He has served burgers to Albion fans ever since the club’s move to the American Express Community Stadium.

But van owner Gerard McGill has been ordered to close after complaints over noise and mess.

He says he will fight the decision and claims he has an army of hungry football fans in his corner.

He said: “If this goes through Albion will have the only stadium in Europe without a burger van outside. It’s part of the whole experience of going to a football match.”

The council say they are interested in helping small businesses but here I am trying to provide a service to the community and they’re telling me to burger off

Gerard McGillMr McGill has been running Peckish Snack Bar from a back garden facing Falmer Station, which he and his business partner own the lease to.

But the council have now issued him with an enforcement notice meaning he has one month to stop selling food and drink.

Cooking smells and noise

The council claims it has received complaints from residents whose weekends and evenings have been ruined by cooking smells, noise and litter as supporters congregate and queue behind 4-5 Station Approach.

Mr McGill is currently operating under a temporary licence which allows him to sell food and drink 28 days a year. He says he only opens on match days and that he closes by 9.30pm.
He has since submitted two planning applications for permanent permission but the council says both were returned to him as key information was missing.

He said: “The council say they are interested in helping small businesses but here I am trying to provide a service to the community and they’re telling me to burger off.”

Councillor Phelim MacCafferty, chairman of the planning committee, said: “Officers have given the operator of this van every opportunity to resolve this matter prior to serving this formal notice.

“The council is committed to encouraging small businesses such as this, however we also have to ensure that they are in appropriate locations and do not have a negative impact on residential properties.

“We hope that Mr McGill will now act swiftly to remove the van so that residents can once again enjoy the peace and privacy of their properties.”

Mr McGill is currently in the process of appealing the notice.

More news from The Argus

tooting2

Mar 26, 2011
lancing
no im 47 was in catering for 20 years plus and cant really name one ground that serves up more utter shite food than us and ive been to loads of grounds f*** me the food at lancings ground is better

'Catering'. Love it!!!![/QUOTE]

dodgy letter t on laptop ............lol

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
no im 47 was in cattering for 20 years plus and cant really name one ground that serves up more utter shite food than us and ive been to loads of grounds f*** me the food at lancings ground is better

'Cattering'. Love it!!!![/QUOTE]

Hope Glasfryn doesn't see that !!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps the club are looking to get a variation on their licence for next season and provide burger stalls like at Reading on the approach to the stadium. I for one hope so.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
hmm..interesting isn't it how peoples tastes differ...judging by this thread some love the food served up inside the ground ..some hate it...similarly with the burger/hot dog van....re noise i noticed the normal radio music had disappeared on saturday as had Mr McGill ..(least when i went there).ive not noticed too much rubbish..as he only trades on match days its only 20 odd days a year for residents to put up with..but then maybe thats just too much on top of the possible disruption of a football crowd...does he trade elsewhere during the week?

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Better than that burger van. I'll tell the Burger van man at the Cardiff game that I'm glad he's being forced too close and move on.

The Amex burgers ain't better at all IMO & the hotdogs at the van are far better !!
Tell the bloke what you want mate that's up to you ain't it although I doubt you'll say anything.
I do rate the Amex pie's for what it's worth

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Personally I'd much rather give the football club that I love my money, rather than some guy riding on their coat-tails to make a quick buck. The food at the Amex is FINE.

I'd rather give the club my money but the hotdogs & burgers are awful

Actually the hotdogs are hit & miss but the burgers are snide

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
1. There is no right to run a retail business from your garden.
2. Their burger is rubbish.
3. If we do have a burger van can we have Naz's? The one from outside wickes now a bit further away from wickes for disputed reasons.

I read that as "can we have Nazi's". Concerned me a little till I re-read it. Goes to show re-reading works!!!

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
All a matter of taste i suppose, not worth us rowing about but I'm firmly in the "save the van" camp lol

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
The Amex burgers ain't better at all IMO & the hotdogs at the van are far better !!
Tell the bloke what you want mate that's up to you ain't it although I doubt you'll say anything.
I do rate the Amex pie's for what it's worth

You're quite right, I'll not say anything to him. Not that kind of person unless he was a Palace fan.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Had cheese burger at Ipswich game and it was bloody awful!!!! There's not many local residents to complain in that road is there?? Only a couple of houses and they live next door to a railway station and railway line but it's the burger van that ruins their neigbourhood......brilliant!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here