Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin O'Neill Resigns

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
as with all footballers, the ones that didnt like him you can guarantee will be the ones not getting picked.

They are f***ed without him, mid table at best

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I know a few Villa fans. None are upset at O' Neill's departure - just the timing.

He has spent a fair bit and not really progressed from when O'Leary took the Villa to 6th.

This season he would have been looking at a finish outside the top four and probably below Spurs, Liverpool and Everton.

A nice guy but a manager whose reputation has benefited from being one of only a few half decent Home Nation managers in the top flight.

Let us not forget. This man signed Emile Heskey AND Marlon Harewood.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I know a few Villa fans. None are upset at O' Neill's departure - just the timing.

He has spent a fair bit and not really progressed from when O'Leary took the Villa to 6th.

This season he would have been looking at a finish outside the top four and probably below Spurs, Liverpool and Everton.

A nice guy but a manager whose reputation has benefited from being one of only a few half decent Home Nation managers in the top flight.

Let us not forget. This man signed Emile Heskey AND Marlon Harewood.

Really? Would that be the self same David O'Leary that followed that 6th place up with a 10th & 16th the following two seasons (before getting the bullet)?? I know who I'd sooner have as Villa manager.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Really? Would that be the self same David O'Leary that followed that 6th place up with a 10th & 16th the following two seasons (before getting the bullet)?? I know who I'd sooner have as Villa manager.

Agree with this. O'Neill finished 6th three years in a row didn't he? A bit more progress from 6th, 10th and 16th.

If he'd had a slightly bigger squad they really would have finished 4th last year

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008

And got villa to the calling cup final.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Just out of interest, why are you even bothered who is Villa manager?

Just saying my friends who are Villa fans are completely indifferent about O'Neill's departure.

I supported them since I was a wee kid (although since moving down here 11 years ago, my love for Brighton & Hove Albion has overtaken my love for Aston Villa).

I don't doubt that there are a fair few Villa supporters who are either glad to see the back of MON or feel completely indifferent (as you have pointed out), but the ones I've spoken to since he walked (i.e. family members & friends in Brum) are pretty much gutted. Hey ho, that's the joys of the Premiershite for you. :shrug:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I supported them since I was a wee kid (although since moving down here 11 years ago, my love for Brighton & Hove Albion has overtaken my love for Aston Villa).

I don't doubt that there are a fair few Villa supporters who are either glad to see the back of MON or feel completely indifferent (as you have pointed out), but the ones I've spoken to since he walked (i.e. family members & friends in Brum) are pretty much gutted. Hey ho, that's the joys of the Premiershite for you. :shrug:

Fair enoough fella.

Who do you want to / think will replace him?

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Fair enoough fella.

Who do you want to / think will replace him?

Fella? How VERY dare you Mr J! :cry:

I've got a funny feeling that we might see Mr Lerner calling on his fellow countryman Bob Bradley or failing that Sven! Personally, I'd like to see Martin Jol given a go, but I doubt if he'd want the position tbh. Even if he was interested, I'm certain he'd want a healthy transfer budget (& we know that ain't in the offing) & Ajax would rightly want a large compensation settlement (which I doubt Lerner will want to pay).

One thing's for sure though. Whoever steps up to the helm has got one helluva job on their hands now, & I reckon they'll do bloody brilliantly to finish in the top half this year. I bet the Noses can hardly believe their luck...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
J... my friends who are Villa fans are completely indifferent about O'Neill's departure.
They may very well come to regret that cavalier attitude. I remember when Sheff Wed sacked Trevor Francis the board said (and the fans agreed): "We're mid-table, but mid-table isn't good enough for Sheffield Wednesday." This was mid-table in the Premiership! Sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They may very well come to regret that cavalier attitude. I remember when Sheff Wed sacked Trevor Francis the board said (and the fans agreed): "We're mid-table, but mid-table isn't good enough for Sheffield Wednesday." This was mid-table in the Premiership! Sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Curbishley and Charlton also. The last couple of years he was getting booed for managing a mid-table Premier League team, and not getting into Europe...

:shootself

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I take Tooting's point that, City apart, this is as big and club job as it gets for O'Neill, so the timing's strange.

Re the England position, he's in pole position if things go tits up again, but IF Fabio's men beat Switzerland and Montenegro then they've probably ridden the storm.

Then again, it's a nice problem for O'Neill to have - a few million in the bank and a couple of months off until the Autumn manager cull begins.

Villa are one of those clubs where if they DO sell Milner and Young you can see then dropping into the bottom half of the table.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Villa cannot afford Martin Jol, will cost a fortune to get him!

This Bradley geezer looks likely

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i cant imagine anyone with a track record wanting this job. first question you ask is why did O'Neil walk, and the only answer seems to be you will need to cut the wage bill, have no transfer budget and the best players being sold. and you must compete for Europe.

Hughes or Jol arent going to leave their current jobs for that, cant see Curbishly is that desperate, nor Sven. The american or some lower league manager might take it on, nothing to lose.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One paper suggested Villa might go for Moyes. Why on EARTH would he join Villa, especially when Everton are shorter odds than Villa for the title??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wonder if MON would have had a chance for the Liverpool job if he'd thrown this one in a few weeks ago?

Agent_Torpor

May 1, 2009
One paper suggested Villa might go for Moyes. Why on EARTH would he join Villa, especially when Everton are shorter odds than Villa for the title??

New challenge? Everton's going no further. They plateau, best case - or they drop.

Either that, or he waits for ManU to open up and queues with the rest of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here