Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin O'Neill Resigns

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Been rumblings for a while and I guess the probability of Young going was the last straw......I know it was mentioned by another poster that the United job was bound elsewhere but I reckon Martin has a sneaky eye on it.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Bob Bradley the 3/1 jolly

signs Donovan and Dempsey and relocates Villa to Clevland as the 'Aston/Cleveland Villans'!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know a Villa season ticket holder, and he's been VERY vocal in his disliking of O'Neill for the last year or so. Apparently, alot of Villa fans are unhappy at his transfer policies, which are more to do with him and less to do with the club.. according to this mate of mine. O'Neill only wanted to sign young English talent and develop them into better players, he didn't want to sign some of the players being recommended to him. His position has become "untenable" apparently, and he disagrees with Randy Lerner wanting to get more involved in the transfer deals, because he thought they were spending too much money without getting enough return on investments. It seems the Young sale was over O'Neill's head, and he's decided to leave.

interesting view from the locals, especially as it seems to most (well that i've talked it over with) believe that O'Neil had been forced into a policy of developing young English talent as there's no budget for anything else. i do think Milner going was inevitable, but selling Young and not apparently seeing any of the returns to spend on the squad (when was the last time you heard a Villa rumour other than Milner/Ireland swap) probably shows him there is no ambition other than midtable on a budget from the owner.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Villa are mugs

Why's that then, oh Wise One? If anybody's the 'mug' - then it's Lerner for:-
(a) Not recognising MON's the best manager he's likely to get at Villa Park in the foreseeable future; & (b) Failing to back the ambitions of the manager by sanctioning the sale of playing assets - rather than looking to build on them.

I think Martin O'neil's just had a f***ing belly-full of being undermined by his Chairman, players & supporters. And you know what? I don't blame the guy in the slightest.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Been rumblings for a while and I guess the probability of Young going was the last straw......I know it was mentioned by another poster that the United job was bound elsewhere but I reckon Martin has a sneaky eye on it.

SAF will have big say on that and I can tell you now, he fancies Moyes, Mourinho is not fancied for the job by them upstairs due to him being very outspoken.

Dont think that job will be available in the near future either

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I reckon that position is occupied by a certain 'special' Portuguese manager.

Real won't let Barcelona off the hook that easily mate, Fergie's replacement won't be Mourinho. He's going to spend the next 10 years at Real Madrid winning the title every season to piss off Barcelona!
:moo:

1066gull

Real won't let Barcelona off the hook that easily mate, Fergie's replacement won't be Mourinho. He's going to spend the next 10 years at Real Madrid winning the title every season to piss off Barcelona!
:moo:

and fergie wont retire he will stay in that seat until he drops.

United will probably be Jose's last job as well.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
O'Neill has integrity & his view on taking English players & making them better is to be applauded not as some Villa fans do moaned about. He is one of the true great managers we have in the EPL so will be a loss. Milner has always been good but O'Neill made him better as he did with Young & has had every team he has managed playing good football on a relatively lower budget than those teams he betters that hover around the same level.

I have nothing but respect for him & wish him all the very best for the future.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Had a quick look at the background to this this morning and I have some sympathy for both camps. Basically Villa lost £49million last year and after ploughing £179million of his own cash Lerner has decided to turn the cash tap off whilst the club tries to tackle their huge wage bill. This obviously makes it impossible for O'Neill to develop the team in the way that he would like so it is understandable that he would want to walk.

But on the other hand it seems refreshing that a premier league chairman is for once not afraid to try and behave in a sensible manner when it comes to finance. It probably means a temporary return to mid-table mediocrity for Villa but at least they will not find themselves in the same position as some of the financial basket cases that populate that league.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Had a quick look at the background to this this morning and I have some sympathy for both camps. Basically Villa lost £49million last year and after ploughing £179million of his own cash Lerner has decided to turn the cash tap off whilst the club tries to tackle their huge wage bill. This obviously makes it impossible for O'Neill to develop the team in the way that he would like so it is understandable that he would want to walk.

But on the other hand it seems refreshing that a premier league chairman is for once not afraid to try and behave in a sensible manner when it comes to finance. It probably means a temporary return to mid-table mediocrity for Villa but at least they will not find themselves in the same position as some of the financial basket cases that populate that league.

You've beaten me to it. It's a sorry but entirely understandable situation for both parties. O'Neill knows he can't compete with the big 5 or 6 and Lerner is guilty of nothing more than trying to run the business properly rather than throwing silly money at players who don't deserve it. I just hope Villa's fans accept O'Neill's decision but equally don't start some ill conceived campaign to get rid of Lerner. I wish there were more chairmen around like him.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
On the BBC Rumours page it says...

Aston Villa players texted images of champagne bottles to each other to celebrate manager Martin O'Neill's exit - under a week before the new Premier League season starts.
Full story: Daily Mirror

I don't understand, I never thought O'Neill was unpopular with his players :shrug:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
You've beaten me to it. It's a sorry but entirely understandable situation for both parties. O'Neill knows he can't compete with the big 5 or 6 and Lerner is guilty of nothing more than trying to run the business properly rather than throwing silly money at players who don't deserve it. I just hope Villa's fans accept O'Neill's decision but equally don't start some ill conceived campaign to get rid of Lerner. I wish there were more chairmen around like him.

I still think O'Neill is being a bit unfair. Villa have given him more money than pretty much any other manager in the last few years. They had chances to make the Champions League and didn't make it - they can't keep spending more and more on players - O'Neill has had enough to build a squad capable of challenging for the top 4.

On the BBC Rumours page it says...

Aston Villa players texted images of champagne bottles to each other to celebrate manager Martin O'Neill's exit - under a week before the new Premier League season starts.
Full story: Daily Mirror

I don't understand, I never thought O'Neill was unpopular with his players :shrug:

Well a Brum sports journo was on 5live this morning saying that he'd spoken to an unnamed player last night, and the player thought that there would be a range of responses; while some would be glad to see him go others would be ambivilant and still others would be sad. Sounds much more likely than 'everyone hated him'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here