Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McGhee to RETURN to Withdean

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
His biggest problem? He wasn't Steve Coppell.

And he fell out with players leaving them behind or slinging them off the coach, and he slagged of players in public, and he slagged off the fans who given were paying through the nose to watch in a craphole were more than entitled to criticise if they wanted to, and the football was bad yes they played to their strengths to get up defensive and so on, but then tried to play like Brazil with players who werent good enough.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Typical black and white NSC thread.

By the end of his tenure McGhee had lost it, the 5-1 Stoke defeat was excruciating and, as so often in his managerial career he'd reached the end of his shelf life after 2-3 seasons.

The facts say it's been 7 clubs in 19 years and after the job he's done with Aberdeen this season another move looks likely.

Overall, I thought he was a good man, a decent manager and, arguably, had the hardest job of any manager in the Withdean era in that he had the middle years when the "return to Brighton" bounce had gone but planning permission and the stadium were still years away.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Good football does not have to be entertaining!

So you go to a match, fall asleep after 50 minutes and are woken up at the end to be told that we won 1-0. When you get home, your mrs asks "was it a good match?"

You say, "yeah, we played good football", do you?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have never fallen asleep at a football match and I don't know anyone who has for that matter.
I have! Nottingham Forest vs Stockport County circa 2002. Atmosphere like a morgue.
All I am saying is good is playing to your strengths, defensive football may not be entertaining but can certainly be good.

It can be effective. But I've stated that three times already.

Greece won the Euros playing good football.....not entertaining....Inter the other week in the champions league played fantastic football.....not entertaining.
Arsenal play entertaining football and have not won anything for years....is that good football?
Football is there to entertain, watching Arsenal is entertaining.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I have never fallen asleep at a football match and I don't know anyone who has for that matter.

i spent most of shrewsbury away in the paint pot asleep, only waking up for the penalty shoot out

best game of adams reign for me simply because i didnt see much of it

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
It can be effective. But I've stated that three times already.

Football is there to entertain, watching Arsenal is entertaining.

Footballers are primarily paid to win, not to entertain.

It is surprisingly difficult to buy entertaining players with no money, especially when your chairman decides to spend the majority of your transfer budget on an argentinian he's seen on youtube - Darren Currie is a particularly rare exception of this.

As pointed above, you're an absolute idiot if you'd rather lose but be entertaining than win in a less "attractive" manner.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I hated McGhee after that Luton game, but he deserves a good reception. not many managers get promoted with us. Although it ended badly, he did well enough. he is a really nice bloke too. Shame I didnt agree with a lot of his decisions. But for his cricket outfield at Reading, he deserves a clap!!

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Could we also see Jay Allen & his "one of the original" football "Casuals" mob down for a weekend of mayhem & raving?

Anyone read the book? I Worked for him as a DJ at Paradise & afterwards upstairs at Bananas in Tenerife 1989/90. There were a couple of lads from Brighton there too at the time.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Think he was somewhat shafted bt Dicky boy who needed a whipping boy even though the budget was crap... great manager for us anyway

sotonseagull

Feb 8, 2008
southampton
If he doesn't get anything other than a f***ing good reception then it is living proof that Albion fans are utter knobs

Here, here.

Many people were very critical of McGhee but in my opinion he use well - very well indeed.

Got us promoted, kept us up in the first season in the championship - I realise we went down the following season, but he hardly had near as many tools as he really needed and should not have been sacked the year after relegation.

I will be clapping him if he does come down for the friendly. Respect!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Good football does not have to be entertaining!

Maybe not, but The Albion are a business and need bums on seats. The only way to get that is entertaining football. Look what happened to gates when we were in the top flight playing boring football and coming 13th - gates were poor because people could not be arsed to watch it.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I was very happy that he was sacked because he had lost the plot by then. However, he was a good Manager for us overall, and should expect a good reception from us fans.

Dosser

Feb 22, 2009
Given that his own fans spit on him, am sure the Withdean faithful will do him proud...

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
f***ing useless football manager, but decent enough bloke - I'll give him a clap.

Maybe not, but The Albion are a business and need bums on seats. The only way to get that is entertaining football. Look what happened to gates when we were in the top flight playing boring football and coming 13th - gates were poor because people could not be arsed to watch it.

And the fact that we were THE MOST EXPENSIVE CLUB TO WATCH in DIvision 1 had NOTHING to do with it.:US:

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Look at his record as a player and as a manager, I wish I'd been half as successful in my career as he's been in his.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
f***ing useless football manager, but decent enough bloke - I'll give him a clap.

Absolutely f***ing useless, apart from promotion in his first season, the highest finish by the club in the last 18 years and a £3million surplus on transfers, he achieved f*** all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here