Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McGhee to RETURN to Withdean

Just for this he will always get a big :):clap: from me
_45888097_mcghee-brighton.jpg

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
If he doesn't get anything other than a f***ing good reception then it is living proof that Albion fans are utter knobs

Completely agree.

I was absolutely mortified with the treatment he got from some 'fans' so much so I couldn't even bring myself to go to another home game for the rest of that season.

Hopefully Bloom isn't quite so quick to pull the trigger when under pressure from certain fans.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i will definitely go to that - mark deserves a standing ovation from everybody who goes to that game for what he did for this club

absolute legend :clap: :clap: :clap:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
A cracking friendly if confirmed.

:bowdown:Mark McGhee :bowdown:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
We played bloody awful football under him, but he still deserves a clap.

awful football? Only in the season we went down. He was sacked after a few games the following season after getting battered by Crewe at home with 10 men and then losing to Forest (finished in play-offs) and Bristol (went up), both away from home. He was unreasonably sacked because supporters kept up the tiresome tirade of abuse against him because we weren't tearing up this league despite having spent next to nothing.

In that season that we went down we still managed wins at Palace and Ipswich, after he'd been forced to sell Currie, Cullip, Harding and Virgo, while having to use the loan market (McShane, Noel-Williams) to replace them.

In the following season, his transfer budget had to be used to bring in the likes of Alex Revell - he had nothing to spend.

We played effective football under him that saw us get the results we needed for his first 2 seasons. Football that wins games is not "awful" unless you're Roman Abramovich or a total moron.

McGhee did a great job - but he's shown throughout his career that building new teams is not his greatest attribute, especially when he's not given anything to spend! Look at us now, we're not much better off than we were when he was sacked having spent well over a million. McGhee made us that much in transfer revenues that kept the club afloat.

To a certain extent, McGhee worked wonders when he was here. We've moved on now, and he should be thanked for giving us some great moments during a particularly difficult period, including getting us into, and then keeping us in the Championship.

His biggest problem? He wasn't Steve Coppell.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The best manager we have ever had at Withdean all factors considered. His sacking was the worst decision made by the club in the 35 years I have supported it. It set the club back 4 years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey a Mark McGhee thread and only one negative comment so far. Standing ovation from me.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Was that awful football that saw us more than hold our own at White Hart Lane?

Yes, one game against premiership opposition proves that all those dire 1-0 wins were entertaining.

We were more entertaining with Wilkins and bloomin' Taylor. But I didn't come on here to slag McGhee off, as I said, he deserves applause for what he achieved.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I hate pre-season friendlies.

But I wouldn't miss the opportunity to see MM leading Aberdeen out. :clap::clap::clap:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
We played bloody awful football under him, but he still deserves a clap.

id rather we played bloody awful football and won a play off final, two seasons in the league below the premiership and some QUALITY away days than being stuck at the bottom of this league as we have been since mcghee got sacked

D

Deleted User X18H

He still has a place in town which I bet he is spending the summer in I used to see him around Matlock/Maldon Roads. I bet that's why this game has been arranged. Home from home for Jocko. Does Ernest know? He can regale him of the ARS great victory since his departure:laugh:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You clearly didn't go to any matches in the season we got promoted then, including the playoff final. Dire defensive stuff, though obviously effective. I don't really know how anyone can argue with this.

The football has been even more shit until recently though and with no success either. Wilkins team had it's moments but often looked like men against boys. Adams team was completely clueless and useless in 95% of the games. Slade's team was initially effective and then became the most irritating of teams, the one that keeps conceding last minute goals and having a player sent off every other match.

McGhee's shit football had a better end result and he proved to be the only manager who could cope with Leon Knight for more than 10 games for which he deserves massive applause.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here