Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Mcghee- " I Saw It Coming"- Interview In Insight City News

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Balanced article in October issue-weblink not yet loaded for October
http://www.theinsight.co.uk/

Quote " I repeatedly spoke to Dick Knight about players- but we never had the money. I wanted to sign Steven McPhail, Michael Chopra and Roger Johnson................................ McGhee advises the Board to be honest to the fans."It is at least a three year plan(that's needed) and that's if they can hold on to the young players"

My comment -while there has been plenty of vitriol re MM it really is a no-win situation for any Manager until we get a new ground and a major injection of fresh funds.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
True, but I don't think he did enough with what he had.

What I don't understand is. If we suddenly had the money to pay him off, whay wasn't this money spent on players? Perhaps we'd still be in the championship or at least not struggling now!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At least the ready made excuse of Deano not being up to it, IF he fails to turn it round is still there to use when needed.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Lammy said:

If we suddenly had the money to pay him off, whay wasn't this money spent on players? Perhaps we'd still be in the championship or at least not struggling now!

The thought of the 50k being given to McGhee to spend on transfers instead of used to pay him off makes me feel so nauseous I think I just shat meself.

The whole thing is so f***ing boring. McGhee says we had no money, Uncle Dick says we do. Meanwhile another six foot two targetman, Jermaine Beckford, goes to Carlisle on loan. It's getting to the stage where I can actually imagine having sex again before we sign someone strong enough to put the ball in the net.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
what page is the interview

that looks pretty good btw

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Benny Zamora said:
The thought of the 50k being given to McGhee to spend on transfers instead of used to pay him off makes me feel so nauseous I think I just shat meself.

The whole thing is so f***ing boring. McGhee says we had no money, Uncle Dick says we do. Meanwhile another six foot two targetman, Jermaine Beckford, goes to Carlisle on loan. It's getting to the stage where I can actually imagine having sex again before we sign someone strong enough to put the ball in the net.

interestingly put.

I totally agree though. This bollocks about the 'Withdean factor' pisses me off. We are simply not offering any decent money.

When you take a job you tend to go to the one with the most money/potential.

We get similar gates to Carlisle and yet we have an application to build a 23,000 stadium. Where would you rather live, Brighton or Carlisle?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lammy said:
We get similar gates to Carlisle and yet we have an application to build a 23,000 stadium. Where would you rather live, Brighton or Carlisle?

Carlisle is probably at least 5 times cheaper to live there, than Brighton. Plus we do not have the financial prowess of Carlisle - we rent, they own.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Lammy said:

What I don't understand is. If we suddenly had the money to pay him off, whay wasn't this money spent on players? Perhaps we'd still be in the championship or at least not struggling now!

He was probably paid off the remainder of his contract which he was entitled to ask for, lets face it how many of you would be happy if you were sacked then not paid what you were owed, and that would probably have been budgeted for anyway in the beginning for wages for MM.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Theatre of Trees said:
He was probably paid off the remainder of his contract which he was entitled to ask for, lets face it how many of you would be happy if you were sacked then not paid what you were owed, and that would probably have been budgeted for anyway in the beginning for wages for MM.

I think you've missed the point. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been paid off if he was sacked. I'm saying that if we had the money to pay him off why wasn't this spent on players?

i.e. we shouldn't of had the money to pay him off as we had invested everything in the team.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Benny Zamora said:
It's getting to the stage where I can actually imagine having sex again before we sign someone strong enough to put the ball in the net.

That will never happen. We might get a striker though.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Is it just me who is bored of this?

"The" fans wanted him sacked, its done, you got your wish and now we're still on about it??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Lammy said:
I think you've missed the point. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been paid off if he was sacked. I'm saying that if we had the money to pay him off why wasn't this spent on players?

i.e. we shouldn't of had the money to pay him off as we had invested everything in the team.

What makes you think he has been 'paid up'. I would imagine he is either continuing to be paid as though still here, or that the ageed settlement will be paid out in installments.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Lammy said:

And you've missed my point. The money would probably have already been in the budget for wages to pay MM not players, therefore when he left he was paid what was owed to him. The money came from the part of the budget that was wages and NOT the transfer kitty. If we didn't he could have gone to a tribunal and we may have ended up paying more than we did and that probably would have come out of the playing budget.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lammy said:

Because Knight knew he was going to sack him over the summer and didnt want to have spent money on players Wilkins would not have wanted ( like Stokes on loan for example)

Just an ill informed thought, in an no axe to grind styleeee :p :p :p :p :p

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
BarrelofFun said:
Carlisle is probably at least 5 times cheaper to live there, than Brighton. Plus we do not have the financial prowess of Carlisle - we rent, they own.

Financial prowess is hardly the word, they are competitive, but their turnover will be lower than ours because their fanbase is lower and I would imagine that we would take more in hospitality, merchandise sales etc etc.

Interestingly all this bollocks about OWNING a ground doesnt wash, many many clubs still have debt (Carlisle among them unless their situation has changed) secured against assets (i.e ground) which leaves them in a much worse situation than we are in if the bailiffs turn up at the door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here