Margaret Hilda Thatcher nee Roberts

Was she any good or what?

• Thatch was GOOD for Britain

Votes: 36 49.3%
  • That was BAD for Britain

Votes: 37 50.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

in all ways she was terrible for this country. her economics, of which she was so proud, left us owing billions of pounds. she ran down the NHS and education. Her privatisation policy just created huge monopolies that are inefficient and over priced.

it is a shame that i can remember it

i can't wait for her to die as it will be cause for celebration.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Where's the option for 'Turned the Labour Party into the new Conservatives' ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
she drove this country onto the rocks, and its still not recovered

having said that it wasnt exactly in ship shape when she took over.

I still think she was largely responsible for the decline in moral standards, greed, and generally speaking unethical business practices which favoured the few and let the majority suffer.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Smart Mart said:
Pointless thread. Most of the posters on here were in training nappies when she was in power...

I wasn't born when Churchill, or Beveridge, or Douglas Home did their thing.

Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on them.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Its funny - when I first came to this country I lived in London and spent time with loads of people who admired Thatcher (mostly people who have more money than sense)....

I move down to Sussex/out of London and most people can't stand her (people who work hard for their money and homes).....

Get my drift.....anyhow all I know about her is that she had loads of handbags - not that I liked any in the photos but loads of handbags isn't a bad thing in my book :lol:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I wasn't born when Churchill, or Beveridge, or Douglas Home did their thing.

Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on them.

Anyone who can remember what a run down state this country was in before 1979, shouldnt even need to ask the question.

She was without any doubt right for her time.

She did go barking mad in the end, I'll concede that, but Blair and the Labour party had to imitate her policies and style to get elected, and that is her legacy.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
She was good for the country in some aspects if you look at it in terms of economics. Unfortunately to do that she treated the people who actually had to live in the country like dirt. What's the point of a strong country if it is hell to live in? Bitch.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
She never went barking mad in the end

She was off her f********g trolley from the very beginning :angry:

Smart Mart said:
Anyone who can remember what a run down state this country was in before 1979, shouldnt even need to ask the question.

She was without any doubt right for her time.

She did go barking mad in the end, I'll concede that, but Blair and the Labour party had to imitate her policies and style to get elected, and that is her legacy.

What Mart said.

The country was in a total mess before 1979, the sick man of Europe. It's hard to remember just what a state the economy was in, and how powerful the unions were.

She was a neccesary evil, but like most dictators she lost touch and went on too long.

And Germany and France both need someone like her now to get their economies back on track.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
At the risk of being patronising I wonder how many people who've participated in this poll were old enough to remember what this country was like pre and immeadiately post Thatcher.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
What a load of ballony. She as an advocate of privatisation of state-owned industry and utilities, strict trade union restrictions, and reduced social expenditures across the board,yes the economy grew but for three years economic output was lowered by 15%, and unemployment was at 3 million. horrednous interest rates need we say more

without the falklands and the crap opposition she would not have got a second term.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
well said Caz . . .an oppressive authority

my boss met her recently and said she was still pretty razor sharp, a very intelligent woman, and I don't doubt it, but some people are just wholey iunfair to society and she's one of them :angry:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
well I hope you all vote so you can at least prevent something like this from happening again!! Can't stand people who love to have a moan yet don't vote...

Vlad the Impala said:
She was good for the country in some aspects if you look at it in terms of economics. Unfortunately to do that she treated the people who actually had to live in the country like dirt. What's the point of a strong country if it is hell to live in? Bitch.

her economics were so badly flawed that we almost went bankrupt. if you want to see how her economics work long term have a look at the USA's budget deficit

bhaexpress said:
At the risk of being patronising I wonder how many people who've participated in this poll were old enough to remember what this country was like pre and immeadiately post Thatcher.

with sounding patronising there are a lot of people here that have no understanding of economics. she took the country from one extreme that wasn't working (demand side) to the other which failed (supply side)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here